I need your Creative Curriculum tips....please!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by chickadee, Feb 15, 2010.

1. chickadee

chickadee New Member

Feb 15, 2010

Hi all,

I've taught early childhood for many years but this is my first year in public pre-k. I feel like I'm drowning in creative curriculum requirements. We are to have three observations on the 50 objectives per child at every checkpoint, with three checkpoints per year. It's starting to feel like an end in itself, rather than a tool for teaching.

I try to enter my anecdotals every night, and my para enters hers once a week or so. Then I look at hers and edit because she misses applicable objectives. Still, it's faster to edit than to enter all of them myself.

Once a week I do a group observation, usually what we did for small group that week. We've been told to go lightly on the group observations because the state can disregard any data they feel isn't specific to the individual.

Once every three weeks I've been looking at each child's objective report to see what's lacking, but that's a long time-consuming process.

I do love the job and everything else is going well, besides the daunting task of going after and managing all that data.

I'm interested in any streamlining tips I can glean from those of you who have used the ccnet website for awhile. Thanks in advance!

3. forkids

forkids Cohort

Feb 16, 2010

Would a spreadsheet help you keep up with what's covered and what's missing? That's what we use, although we use a different curriculum and assessment tool.

4. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Feb 16, 2010

I use Creative Curriculum but don't use the website. Here's how I explained what I do in another post. Hope it helps:

I use CC as well. Here's what I do. I have a binder and each child has a section. I color coded the 4 areas of development and put papers by that color into each child's section. So each child has a blue paper for Social/emotional dev, a green paper for cognitive dev, a pink paper for lang dev, and a white paper for physical dev. Then I have a clipboard with white labels on it that I keep within reach at all times. When I notice a child saying or doing something throughout the day, I jot it down with the child's name and date. At the end of the week, I look them over, write down the objectives on the labels (and the level) and stick them on the appropriate pages. Also, when planning my lessons, I write down which objectives they meet on the lesson plan. During center time, I usually sit with small groups of children or work one on one for a specific skill and use a checklist. I look ahead of time at what forerunners, level I, level II and level III are for that objective and use these levels for my checklist. Then I just pop the completed checklist into the front of the binder. I also use portfolios for each child. I put various items in them, such as handwriting samples, drawing samples, scissor cutting samples, pictures of them building with blocks or playing dress-up, etc. I date everything so that I can see if they are progressing. When it comes time for the profile to be completed, I pull the portfolio and binder out and I have a complete story. I hope this makes sense and it helps at all. I don't write something down on every child every day, and I do also do the formal assessing for each child (letter recognition, number recognition, etc) so I use that as well. Good luck!

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 16, 2010

CC takes time to learn. You have to develop a routine for observations. Part of a good CC program is some prep time to handle all this paperwork.

6. mkate

mkate Comrade

Feb 16, 2010

Wow, that sounds terribly daunting. I have a question for the OP-- when you say "the state may disregard..." does that mean that the data you are collecting on the students goes to the state, in effect to evaluate the school/teachers on whether the objectives are being met? Is this common practice?

Sorry I'm hijacking your thread, I'm just very curious. I'm about to take a job teaching English immersion classes to pre-K/K in a public school in Spain, and while there is a National Base Curriculum with objectives that must be met by every child, these are usually fairly broad and each school must adapt the program to their specific population (the NBC is just the minimum that has to be done, but how you do it and what else you do in addition is left more open.) There are exams given by the state every few years to evaluate how well the students are learning in each school, but I don't think it's a big deal.

I'm also wondering how I'm going to evaluate my each of my students, since even though we don't have to provide data to the state, we do obviously have to perform both fomative and summative evaluations to make sure they are learning. At this age group, it's not like you can just give them a test...

So, aside from butting in here, I am also interested in the assessment procedures people have in place.

7. Glenda

Glenda Rookie

Feb 16, 2010

I have recently started carrying a small digital hand held recorder. I just press the button and say my anecdotal observation, "Jimmy completed a 12 piece puzzle with no assistance at the fine motor table." I say the date. At the end of the day after the kids leave I play one note at a time back and record it under the correct standard for each child. I use other data collection tools also. But this one is my new FAVORITE for simplicity and convenience.

8. Glenda

Glenda Rookie

Feb 16, 2010

I forgot something else I learned recently. I have put skill checklists in several learning centers on clipboards. For instance, I have one in the book corner. Some skills are, - shows independent interest in books, - holds book upright, - turns pages one at a time. When I see the child doing one of the skills, I can just check it under their name and date it. About once a week I take the skill sheets and record. I highlight the ones on the clipboard that I've already entered them so I don't do it twice. I take a clipboard to gym, and have one at the art corner also to observe fine motor. With the clip boards placed in the center where those specific behaviors can be observed it's quicker and easier and I'm more likely to do it.

9. Teacheskidz

Teacheskidz Rookie

Feb 24, 2010

That sounds like a pretty good system. How many students do you have? I have 41 and honestly there's no way all the anecdotals get done on top of everything else. I'd like to come up with some kind of system or I'm going to go insane!

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 24, 2010

41 kids?! No wonder you can't do this. You need help.

11. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Feb 28, 2010

Is it true that the Scandinavian countries don't start formal education until age 7?
    Sometimes you gotta shake your head at what we're doing here.
    I can't believe you guys have to do all that documentation and paperwork for preschool. You must never sleep!

12. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Mar 1, 2010

I only teach 1/2 days and have 16 children, so it's definitely manageable.

13. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Mar 1, 2010

Teacheskidz-do you have 41 at one time or two 1/2 day classes?