"I need work for [insert student]"

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by AnonyMS, Apr 15, 2012.

1. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Apr 15, 2012

I have no idea what other schools do, but when we have students who are assigned to ISS (In-School Suspension), an office helper (student) comes around asking for work.

Now, I don't always have a WORKSHEET to give and I only have enough books for my classroom so I can't send any books out to ISS. And, even if I did have a worksheet to give at that moment, the student very well may not know how to do it b/c they are missing instruction!

What do you do?

I have left packets of work before, but the students end up writing on them (I usually put "DO NOT WRITE ON THIS SHEET" across the top but the ISS monitor doesn't enforce it) OR my packets get passed out to EVERYONE in ISS (not just my students) and there's not enough left the next time I have a student in there.

Other ideas?

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Apr 15, 2012

At my former school, we kept a couple of copies of the ELA textbooks in the room flagged with stories or assignments that were never really used by the teachers.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 15, 2012

I assign what we are doing in class. If they are in ISS, they miss instruction, that's on the student. I will send an extra book when need be, but we always have enough books for all our students.

Since you are ELA, can you have the student write a generic letter? They could also read a short story or poem and write a summary or response of some kind. Maybe keep a file somewhere in your room filled with generic work for a student. Then only give the student worker one copy of the assignment so that it doesn't get passed out to everyone.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 15, 2012

Oh, man...don't get me started.

6. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 15, 2012

I usually try to send down what we're doing in class, but I'm not always able to... and I'm definitely not able to make something up on the fly if they're sent to the dean. So I'll pull something out of my emergency lesson plan bin. Jamestown readers, grammar review WS, a writing lesson (usually a "How To" paragraph).

I'd send it down the morning the student is assigned to ISS and write their name on it so there's no confusion over who should be getting the work.

7. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Apr 15, 2012

Bookmark some worksheets on your computer. Then all you need to do is go to the website and hit "print."

8. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Apr 15, 2012

I'll assign what we do that day. If it's something that isn't anchored with a worksheet, I'll try and catch the student up when he/she gets back. But I teach eighth grade, and I don't lose sleep over it if I can't make their ISS experience identical to my classroom lesson. It was their choice to misbehave.

My kids have silent reading books, so I'll tell them to read that and write me a summary about what they read. Is it exciting? No, but they need practice with writing and summarizing, so I feel like if I can't provide what we're doing that day, they are at least getting some worthwhile practice.

9. orangepurple

orangepurple Companion

Apr 16, 2012

I feel like we need more generic, ready to go worksheets in a folder, so that it isn't so much work for us to find the work for a kid like that. The same for kids who are going on "independent study" without much notice. They aren't going to lug around a huge textbook at any rate.

10. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Apr 25, 2012

Thanks for all the great ideas! I do need to create an emergency folder so I can whip something out on the fly!

11. greendream

greendream Cohort

Apr 26, 2012

This is a huge issue at our school. How do you "send work" to ISS when you're doing hands-on, collaborative projects? I end up copying a ton of grammar-related worksheets, but those aren't helping the student with what we actually do that day.

12. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jun 5, 2012

agreed!!!!! This is how I feel also. They are still responsible for the work.

Do you know ahead of time? Maybe you could photo copy the page in the textbook with some instructions and send. Our P let's us know a day or two out the students that will be in ISS so we can prepare assignments. We get it together and leave it in a basket in the office designated for all ISS assignments.

13. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Jun 10, 2012

I loathe our school's ISS. It is definitely NOT an effective consequence of bad behavior when the monitor tries to be everyone's pal.

If I have no assignment for the day because we are adding new notes or showing a video I will always look through my gradebook for missing assignments and reassign those. 99% of the time work never gets turned in to my mailbox.

Sometimes I request students come to my room during their class and participate, since my class is not fun for them and I make them work. When a student spends more time in ISS than in my room, they miss too many labs and opportunities to have difficult concepts explained. I would rather give them the chance to complete something I can grade in my class than pretty much know they will do nothing in ISS and get a zero.

14. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Jun 10, 2012

Unfortunately, most of my students who end up in ISS have work that hasn't been handed in. I get them to catch up on what they're missing.

If not, then I give them the assignment we're working on in class. Examples are usually in the book. If they don't understand, they can always come and see me at lunch or after school to get extra help.