I need to vent

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sweetlatina23, Oct 20, 2011.

1. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Oct 20, 2011

I don't know what is going on, but this year has just been very difficult. I am exhausted of the same old problems. I have a bunch of kids who have started to make fun of me, and on a personal level it just hurts. Normally, I have students begging to be in my class. This year has been a very hard one on me. I feel like I haven't done my very best. I came down with a cold today too.

Then I found out that one of my students is allowing the boys to touch her inappropriately. I don't know how to address the topic with her. I wish this year would've been a good year. Last year I had problems with girls videotaping themselves in the locker room changing, and this year I get girls allowing themselves to be touched.

I feel like I'm a bad teacher. I try to discipline and they don't know how to accept it. I think I need a vacation.

How would you deal with this young girl? I found out by another student, who I trust. I have no real proof, and we don't have a counselor. Her mother doesn't offer any support. She is a very young mother and doesn't set a good example either.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 20, 2011

I'm sorry you're having such a rough year.

I would run this one by guidance or administration. It's a disaster waiting to happen, and I think it goes beyond your responsibility as one of her teachers.

4. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Oct 20, 2011

I did speak to administration. She told me to handle it myself, because I have a psychology degree. She said she doesn't know how to handle it. We do not have a counselor either, I feel so lost. I just searched my past post and obviously I have a problem at the beginning, I pray that I can figure this one out.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 20, 2011

Lovely.

Then it's time for a sit down with the girl. Ask her to meet you after school, or get that administrator to get her out of class at a time that's good for you.

And talk to her. Tell her why it's a slippery slope. If you're in a public school, you may want to leave morality out if it (I'm on shaky ground here, since it would be a big part of the speech I would give in Catholic school.) But talk to her about reputations, and how hard they are to rebuild. And about slippery slopes, and about how sometimes "No means no" is hard point to make when up to now, "no" has meant "Maybe."

Talk to her the way you would want someone to talk to your daughter.

But first clear the whole thing with that administator; you don't need an angry mama going over your head.

6. Anonymousteach

Anonymousteach Companion

Oct 20, 2011

That is just apalling that your administrator told you to handle it on your own! When administrators show indifference to problems like that, it makes me wonder how the heck they got promoted in the first place!

Perhaps there is a district wide psychologist you could inform about the incident? You should definitely tell someone about the incident before it gets worse!

This school year feels tougher to me too. As a sub, kids get attitude with me all the time and get extremely nasty. I try not to take their comments personally but sometimes they're so mean that its hard NOT to take it personally. I completely understand that.

Hang in there! Good luck with everything!

7. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Oct 20, 2011

I agree with Alice, but I would also let the parent know. In today's education world, speaking to the child without notifying the parent could put your job at risk.

8. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Oct 20, 2011

I would also address this with the boys. They are the ones who are touching a girl inappropriately! How is this even occurring on school grounds? The boys should face disciplinary action.

The girl may be "letting" them do it, but THEY are committing the acts.

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 20, 2011

It must be a middle school, puberty thing. The group of kids in my GS apartment complex have a lot of trouble keeping their hands off each other.

10. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 21, 2011

What about talking to the girl WITH the admin present? I wouldn't want to have that conversation without another adult present.

And, you MUST talk to the parent.

11. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Oct 23, 2011

I spoke to the girl. She didn't deny it happening, she just said that she doesn't allow the boys touching her. She holds her ground and pushes them away. She wouldn't give up names, but I know which boys it was. Tomorrow my counterpart and I have decided to work together and she will be talking to all the boys and I will be talking to all the girls.