I need to vent - too much tattling!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Gwen, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Gwen

Gwen Companion

Mar 7, 2008

What do you do with all the tattling? I've taught the kids how to give "I messages". I've stopped them in the middle of tattling and asked them "Can this be solved with an I message?" I've even started to ignore them. But today they are all surrounding me and telling on eachother. When I ask them "can this be solved with an I message?" They say "I'm not telling." They then proceed to go into what feels like a 3 hour recount of tattling on someone. These kids are very low academically so I can not have them write their tattling down. They have not bought into the drawing the tattle. What else can I do? They are making me crazy with the telling.

3. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Mar 7, 2008

I got fed up with tattling this week and started a tattle jar. Now they have to write down the tattles. They can spell each others name and have been quick to invent spelling for words they don't know. They filled the jar on the first day. It has slacked off some since then. Good luck, spring breaks only a couple of weeks away!

4. MrH

MrH Rookie

Mar 7, 2008

I told everyone in my class they can't tattle until 2:00 (that's after they are gone). I said it randomly one day and for some weird reason it has worked all year! Anytime they come up to me, i say, "No tattling until 2" and they just walk away. Try it! It might work, it might not

5. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 7, 2008

oh Mr. H. you are brillliant! Love it! :lol:

GWEN, about a month or so ago, someone else started a thread on tattling...you might check out the archives.
    Several teachers had wonderful ideas...2 of my favorites were:
    1. have a picture of the President posted on the wall; whenever someone wanted to tattle; tell them to go tell the President! :D A teacher at a Catholic school said, she might put up a picture of the pope. :lol:
    2. place a mirror in your classroom and have them tattle to the mirror.:lol:

But, Mr. H's idea is tops too!

6. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Mar 7, 2008

What about an old cell phone to use as a tattle phone? If it is something important, you can stop them and help them solve it (some of my kids have major anger issues!) and if it isn't, they tell it to the phone.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  7. MissB

MissB Companion

Mar 8, 2008

These ideas are great. My afternoon class sounds just like Gwen's class. I'll have to try these ideas. I especially love the "after 2:00" one. That's so funny.