I need to vent! Sorry guys!!

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by sbtellmann, Oct 5, 2005.

1. sbtellmann

sbtellmann Companion

Oct 5, 2005

Ok, I know some of you get upset when we spend too much time venting, but I need to for my sanity! The kids I have this year are rough! They were very loud, very talkative and very disrespectful last year as well (we have a Prek at our school). No matter what I try, they don't listen. They talk all the time and listen to no one (not teachers, not even friends). If I have them put their heads down for a break, they talk with their heads down. They talk in line. They talk in the bathrooms- basically they talk all the time and never listen to anyone. They can't follow directions when I'm talking because they dont hear them in the first place. I'll say directions 3 or 4 times and then have 2 children repeat the directions back so I know they know what to do. I always have half the class doing the wrong thing and half the class asking for the directions again even after i do this. I have them flip cards. I write notes to parents. We do rewards and punishments, nothing works. Anyone have any ideas or even encouraging words? I need them right now!! :)

3. LHarmon

LHarmon Rookie

Oct 5, 2005

I am interested in the replies to this post because I am having the same problem!!

4. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 5, 2005

How old are these kids? Kindergarten?

5. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 5, 2005

Oh duh! Never mind, that would be why it's under the K thread right? I feel dumb! Sorry, long day so far:)!

6. teacherchick

teacherchick Companion

Oct 5, 2005

Well we all deserve a chance of 100 to vent! Keep your chin up and try rewarding the kids who listen.

7. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Oct 5, 2005

I have the same problem right now too! it seems like nothing gets theough to these children. And they are sooo mean to each other. I just don't know what to do. I am a first year teacher- and if I get observed, their behavior will be a horrible reflection.

8. Keling9

Keling9 Companion

Oct 5, 2005

I have had rather chatty classes the past two years...though this year is better than last. You might try...

Table Rewards (if you have them sitting at tables)--"OH, I see table #2 is sitting so quietly! They earn a star for their table!" I then put a die-cut star on their table's reward "chart"(a laminated piece of colored construction paper with Table #1...written on it). The table with the most stars at the end of the week gets candy, extra time at recess, etc.. At the start of the new week, I take the stars off and reuse them since they're stuck on with tape.

Marble Jar--when you catch the whole class being quiet, you put a marble in a container (I have an apple that holds probably 100 marbles)...when the jar is full, we have a party. I might put in 5 or 10 marbles at a time for walking quietly in the hallway or working quietly at their seats. Just the same as I put them in though, I can take them out if they're too noisy.

CANDY--I give a skittle to kids I see doing what I asked to be done. (Yes, a single skittle!) They seem to work hard to "earn" their skittles. But I tell them that I only give to those children doing what I asked. Trust me, it's bribery at it's finest...and I don't do this very much...but the fun is, they never know when it's coming!

Quiet Activity--for those that are following directions, they can play with clay, do a game, etc. while everyone else is "practicing" what it is to be a good student.

Of course, MODEL, MODEL, MODEL!!! I do this quite often when it seems that they've "forgotten" how we behave. We're to the point we don't need to do this so much anymore. But, I make sure to revisit this too!

Good Luck! Let us know what works for you!

9. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 5, 2005

I have a class like that this year. They are known for being a naughty bunch of kids and no one has ever wanted to sub for this group. Last year they were in the classroom next door as young 4 year olds. This year I have them as 4 to 5 year olds. Well, let me tell you why we end up with classes like this. It's because the teachers who had them before you, bitched and complained and talked and talked and never really did any more than that. I have done all but sit on top of these kids this year and they ARE getting the message. I had one mom approach me and ask me why he wasn't a problem last year and I flat out told her that he had been a problem and that she was just never honestly informed about it. That is the truth.
    So, what I would like to suggest you all do with you naughty classes this year is get organized.These kids need to have EXTREME structure ...because their behavior warrants that you monitor every single move that they make until they get the point. You most likely have your centers set up and your routine in place by now. Identify your biggest problem times and begin with those times first. Is it when they are getting ready to go outside? Use the bathroom? Play? Eat? Of is it all of those times? You need to sit them down and TELL them where they can play and who they can play with and see to it that they get to where they need to be. THEN tell them that if you HEAR them wherever they are playing or working, they are going to sit at the table and color for the rest of the period...and if they FIGHT, they will have to do the same until they learn to get along and talk nice to everyone all of the time. THEN...stick to it and if that means the whole group has to sit at the tables and color, then so be it. IF they can't behave as they are coloring, the tell them they will NOT be going outside until they learn how to behave inside. One day of being kept indoors and they WILL do what you tell them. Rewards? Sure why not. Ice Cream for kids who are QUIET and DON'T FIGHT...you HAVE to use extreme measures because these are EXTREME KIDS and you should NOT have to put up with this everyday. GET TOUGH. I have had trouble with the kids not playing nice in the p.ms...running wild and hollering and fighting so guess what? Yesterday I told them that all they can do for the afternoon is color (draw) and read books and if I catch anyone NOT doing one of those things, I send them right to the table and give them 2 books(if they're lucky)..........Believe me , they are catching on fast and the funny thing is, when I arrive in the morning, they all come running and give me hugs and "I love you"...so don't thing that they won't like you for helping them learn self control. It is part of our jobs and if we can't get teach them that, we are in the wrong business. GET TOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 5, 2005

p.s.Sorry for my many little spelling errors, but my typing cannot keep up with my thoughts sometimes. Oh, about the LOUDNESS of your kids. Everytime they open their LOUD mouths, put them on a time out...every single time and they WILL quiet down. Make their lives miserable and they will get the point . Let them know you mean business . Today when my kids were so chatty at the table I said to them, "If you asked me to be quiet, I would do it for you. So, why not do it for me?" They said, "O.K. we will."... at lunch tell them no food until they are quiet. If they get loud again(chatty) while eating, remove their plate until they are quiet. Do NOT let them have ANY FUN or ANYTHING until they do what it is you are asking them to do! If they are naughty and loud while standing in line, send them back to the table and start over. If that means missing half of their recess, oh well. YOu are not their door mat...get tough.
    As you see someone catching on and doing the right thing, start praising and giving pats on the backs and thank them profusely!!!!

11. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Oct 5, 2005

During a lesson if I see someone sitting nicely I say Oh I like the way Becky is sitting. You will suddenly see all of them change the way they are sitting.

When we are getting ready for lunch I say okay Matthew is sitting nicely and quielty he can line up for lunch.

If we are loud in the hallway I turn them around and go back into the classroom and practice being quiet again.

When we are cleaning up I always say I want to see what table can get ready first. You will hear the kids tell their friends be quiet.

Lately I have been saying listen carefully b.c I am going to say it once. That has worked b/c I had one child who would ask me and the aid the same question 15 times in a matter of 5 minutes!!

Centers is always loud in my room which is okay with me as long as they are on task.

Like Grammy said I am constantly praising all day long! Occasionally I will give stickers out to the table that is doing a great job but it is rare. I want them to feel good about themselves without a tangible reward.

12. ohteach

ohteach Companion

Oct 5, 2005

I have the same problem, my classl talks ALOT! I don't have really major behavoir issues theya e all just chatty. One thing I use is "spots" I have paper cut out like cow spots and when I "spot" a child doing a good job I hand them a spot. These spots go in a box and at the end of the week I draw a name or two and those children can draw a prize from the prize box. I find that usually when I hand out one spot all of the children will be have in order to "get spotted doing something good." I also do the "Table Teams" idea and that seems to work fairly well.

13. MR ARMS PKTEACH

MR ARMS PKTEACH Rookie

Oct 5, 2005

I think it is all in how you present yourself on the first day. I taught a K/1 class who I had heard would be difficult. I found it works wonders if you act like a hard ___ on the first day just to put a little scare into the kids. I know ALL of you will disagree with my method, but that is how I got my class to behave, we never even needed to make up classroom rules and EVERY DAY someone gave us a compliment walking in the halls because if they misbehaved in the hall even just one person we would not go to whatever special it was, during that time we would practice walking in the hall........yes I know, I'm going to get a lot of "hate replys" from this post.

14. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 5, 2005

I think your "spot" idea is really very cute! I can never do something like that for very long...I get tired of it...so I just never do any of those types of things. I just expect them to behave ... and if they don't, look out.

15. jpre-k teacher

jpre-k teacher Companion

Oct 6, 2005

Ha ha! I'm the same way. My kids this year are also EXTREMELY active and outgoing. But, if they don't behave, they miss out on fun stuff. Every day I need to remind them when we line up for recess, "We have 15 minutes until recess is over. We can either go play or we can stand here in line. It's your choice, but we're not going anywhere until you can show me you can be quiet in the hallway." They know I mean it because there have been a couple of days when they have only gotten about 5-10 minutes for recess. Just the other day we were trying to do a sharing-type activity, and the students who were supposed to be listening were being SO noisy. So, we practiced being quiet for 5 minutes. You'd better believe they were being wonderful listeners after that! When I see certain students behaving, I try to give them some kind of reward (such as being able to go out to recess earlier or looking at a book while the others have to sit quietly) because I know you shouldn't punish the whole class if only a few are misbehaving. However, sometimes it is the whole class that is misbehaving, so the whole class misses out.

16. jpre-k teacher

jpre-k teacher Companion

Oct 6, 2005

Don't let them get up, move, etc. until they are quiet. Make sure they can hear in your voice that you mean business. You don't have to shout, but you need to sound stern. Even if they don't take it seriously at first, after a couple of minutes, they will get sick of having their heads down, waiting in the hallway, etc. Get a timer and set a specific time (say two minutes). They don't get up until they have been quiet for those 2 minutes. Most of them will probably decide they hate it and will behave. If you have a couple who don't, let the quiet ones get up, and leave the noisy ones sitting. They'll learn.

17. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Oct 6, 2005

I was having a similar problem with my 2nd graders this year....not "naughty" but very social. I told them that our school work is important and we won't get to have recess when the other classes do if we can't get our work done. They thought it was an empty threat until....

I don't teach when they talk and they are not allowed to work when they talk. One day I would take papers and supplies away when they started and I'd wait for them to stop talking and pass them back out. Or I'd make them line up over and over til they could line up without talking. Sometimes I'd have them just put their pencils down til it was quiet. Or if we were on our way to a special and they were loud I'd walk them back to the room and they'd miss part of that class. Well that day nobody had their work done by the first recess and the entire class had to stay in until they were done.

After that recess we talked again about appropriate noise levels and how they can remind others. We decided that a simple finger to the lips or pointing at the clock as a reminder that they were wasting time would work. All of these things could be easily adapted to K.

Grammy.....
    Yes some of the ideas that we see as teachers seem "cute" but some of them really do work and are worth trying long term even though they can be time consuming to make happen....especially when we have "one of those classes"

Hang in there everyone!!!!!!

Christopher

18. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 6, 2005

Right, I agree, the "cute" ideas do work...(I wasn't implying that they don't) ... and I really get a "kick" out of all the creativity teachers have...I just have to laugh at how we all work on the same wave lengths!!! It's great to be a TEACHER!

19. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 6, 2005

It's true, Grammy. We really do work on the same wavelengths...it may not be the same ones as everyone else, but hey, different isn't always bad! haha
    Sometimes I read the posts by other people and the things they say to their students and I think, "Oh my goodness. That's me!" For example, jpre-kteacher's quote, "We have 15 minutes until recess is over. We can either go play or we can stand here in line. It's your choice, but we're not going anywhere until you can show me you can be quiet in the hallway." is exactly what I say..word for word! haha It cracks me up.

20. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 6, 2005

No need to appologize for venting. We all need every now and then and this is the perfect place to do it! :)

21. sbtellmann

sbtellmann Companion

Oct 6, 2005

Thanks guys! These are all great ideas! I have actually done quite a few of them. Yesterday we had a reward for those who didnt flip any cards and everyone else had to watch. It works, but only for just that moment. I really like the spot idea too! Any others? THANKS!! :)

22. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Oct 6, 2005

I love the spot idea!!!!!!!

23. KAKdg.Tchr

KAKdg.Tchr New Member

Oct 6, 2005

Have you tried to just whisper or talk very, very quietly? Usually they will become so intrigued with what you are trying to say that they get quiet.

24. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 6, 2005

I've done that before and it works well with my pre-k kids.

25. MizJudy

MizJudy Rookie

Oct 6, 2005

Here's a behavior idea for you. At my school, we place three pieces of tape on their desk. After a warning (or two), you have them remove a piece of tape. Again with the second and third pieces. At the beginning of the year (until the end of October), if you have one piece of tape left at the end of the day, you get a happy note. Then we up it to two pieces of tape left. There are certain behaviors that warrant an immediate removal of tape, such as ugly words to our friends and/or hitting. Also, I no longer give more than one warning, which I instituted the 4th week of school. I told them they have been in school long enough to learn the rules and know how to listen. My days have gotten much easier, since I say "this is your warning", then if the behavior continues, I will tell them that I have given them a warning about whatever they did. I then ask them what they need to do know, since they did not listen. They take a piece of tape, and that's usually that for the rest of the day. At the end of the day, after they are gone, I replace the tape, so they always begin each day with three pieces of tape. My class was also rough at the beginning of the year. My prinicpal actually apologized to me and told me to hang in there (in K, you never know what you're going to get). However, things are going so well know. There are still days that several need to lose tape, but I no longer spend my day reminding them of the rules and or about their behavior. Now, it's very matter of fact and they know what's coming. If this interests you or you have questions about the plan, since I know it's not outlined very well, feel free to email me. Good luck!! Hang in there, it gets better. :)