I need to vent a little-and maybe have some advice.

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Miss W, May 24, 2007.

1. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 24, 2007

:( This has been bothering me since church Sunday morning. A church member, whose great granddaughter I teach in Sunday School (when she can come), said something to me that I can't get past. I have really been struggling with this, and it's been eating at me. Before Sunday School we have donuts and orange juice in the fellowship hall. I went in to get the SunnyD label off the bottle (because our class is collecting them). This older lady comes up to me and starts laying into me about my principal (my boss). Apparently the grandmother and great grandmother were up at the school Friday to check to see if the granddaughter had been in counseling. I guess she is required to, because of a court order. Dad has legal custody but grandmother took him to court to be able to see her.
    Anyway, the older lady starts in on me "Can you believe that woman?! She had the gaul to call so-and-so! She must be a real B****!"
    I was so shocked. I didn't know what to say to her. After a moment I told her that my boss was a very nice lady. She was probably just calling who she is supposed to, to make sure she is covered by law. Basically I told her that my boss was doing her job like she was supposed to, that she was a very nice woman, and I enjoyed working for her. Then I turned around and walked off to my classroom.
    Ever since, I have been thinking about this moment. I just don't want to get in the middle of the situation. I only teach the child when she is at church, and never see her at school. I need some words of wisdom.

3. nc4th

nc4th Rookie

May 24, 2007

Wow that is a difficult position. You sound like you handled it well.

4. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

May 24, 2007

Even though her action was not appropriate and uncalled for, people are people no matter where they are or who they are. Maybe she was having a bad day? Maybe there is more to the story? Sometimes people just do not think before they speak, and this instance just happened to be at church which probably makes you more stunned than if it wasn't. You would think because it's at church it would make someone think twice and have more proper etiquette, but sometimes it just doesn't happen that way. I think you handled it fine and I think the best thing to do is to just let the situation rest. Don't let it get to you, unless it happens again.

5. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 25, 2007

I think I would be shocked to hear it anywhere, even away from church. People I'm around just don't talk like that. I feel a little better now that I've posted and had a few replies. She picked her great granddaughter up from school early today while I was in the office. I just couldn't bring myself to look her in the eye.

6. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

May 27, 2007

Maybe she shouldn't of said that (and good for you for sticking up for your principal) but shes also human. I say "bad" words from time to time but it doesn't make me a bad person. I'm sure she was just venting (we all need to do that sometimes) and just "vented" to the wrong person.

7. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 28, 2007

You handled it well. Be ready in case it comes up again. I once had someone criticize my very first principal, who was like a granddaddy to me, so sweet, and the criticism was very out of context - like your situation. I was so shocked I just blurted out "You are talking to the wrong person - I think he is great!" There was an awkward moment then we moved on to another topic. People are just very odd sometimes.