i need to stop the tattle tales in my class!!

Discussion in 'Behavior Management Archives' started by PEteacher07, Sep 28, 2005.

1. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Sep 28, 2005

i am going crazy!! first year teacher here and i see all 92 of my 1st graders at one time every day for P.E. and they are the WORST tattle tales in the world. i am tired of "jimmy pushed me," "so and so did this to me," "i don't know who it was but they kicked me." AHHHHH!!

one of the teacher's says she has a picture of an ear that is hooked into the principals office so when a kid is coming to tattle, she tells them to talk to the ear and the principal can hear what they are saying. she says in some weird way the kids feel redeemed b.c they feel like someone has "heard" them. i find it humorous, but i am not for sure that it would effective for my gym.

other reachers said they have "tattle reports" that the kids can fill out if it is REALLY important to tattle on the person. usually they won't even fill out the forms b/c its too much of a hassle.

are there any other ideas out there? i am sooo sick of this.

3. jcg

jcg Cohort

Sep 28, 2005

I tell them reports are bleeding, bathroom or broken and anything that has to do with another person getting in trouble because you want them to is a a tattle. As soon as they walk up to me and say so and so said or did this, I stop them and say is this a report or a tattle. They usually stop and think and say this is a tattle. Then I tell them what to do. For example Tell them " I don't like when you push me" I also give them the option to write it down and put in a box if they are not sure. That way I can pick up on bullying.

4. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Sep 28, 2005

I explain tattles and reports -

Reports need to be brought to my attention. Ex: someone is hurt, someone is in danger, someone needs my immediate attention for an emergency etc.

Tattle: Things I don't want to hear about: he cut in line, he took to many drinks at the drinking fountain, he's looking at me...blah, blah, blah...

So if someone comes to me and it is a tattle I say "Is this a tattle or a report?" They usually just walk away because they realize it is a tattle. This has been working great.

5. jcg

jcg Cohort

Sep 28, 2005

I just reread your post. YOU SEE ALL 92 FIRST GRADERS AT ONE TIME!!!!!!THAT IS INSANE!!!!!!How can you be expected to teach anything? Okay I reread it again and again, I can't believe it! You must be an angel!

6. Harley21

Harley21 New Member

Sep 28, 2005

This is a great idea...tattle or a report. I need to bring this into work with me tomorrow. I have 3-6yr. olds and the older ones are driving me crazy with their tattling!

7. jcg

jcg Cohort

Sep 28, 2005

They do get it! I even used it in preschool. Your age group.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 28, 2005

Oh, and with the older ones, maybe you can tell them you need them to help you show the younger ones how to be grownup and that means (a) no tattling and (b) dealing with the situation as jcg suggested above.

9. MrsPam

MrsPam New Member

Sep 29, 2005

Tattle tales

I like the tattle or report idea. Also, I teach 3-5 year olds and have had the same problem. I have been telling them "Don't tattle unless someone is hurt" It is pretty much the same concept and seems to work well. Some of the kids (usually the ones being tattled on) have even started reminding other children not to tattle unless someone is hurt. The only down side is that now every time some gets pushed or has a toy taken away from them, they are automatically "hurt". the tattle or report may be better for this reason. :)

10. Syele

Syele Companion

Sep 29, 2005

My almost 4 yo daughter is an ONLY child and she still tattles to me! She tells me what her imaginary children did, what her stuffed animals do, that the air conditioner closed her door and much more. When my friend was here with a cat it was nonstop tattling "Moon is looking at me, moon went into the bathroom, moon spilled water when she drank, Moon this moon that."

I think it's some sort of inherent compulsive behaviour that all children that age MUST do or they might explode.

At school with the kids there and with my Daughter I just say "Ok." if it's a tattle and I do something if it's a report. The older ones eventually get the messege that it's pointless to tattle to me since I do nothing anyhow. My Daughter dosn't seem to care if it gets a response or not. Someone on here in another thread said they have a tattle frog and they say, "tell it to the frog." I don't remember who said it, but I may try it at home.

11. Lovelabs

Lovelabs Comrade

Sep 29, 2005

Unless it's an emergency and someone is hurt, I have them write the problem in a notebook. They usually decide that takes too much time and they don't bother.

12. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 29, 2005

I was about to suggest what Lovelabs did about the notebook. Tell them to write it in there and you'll look it over when you get a chance. ;)

Lori

13. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Sep 29, 2005

92 KIDS?!? At the same time?!? That is so insane. How is that even humanly possible?

14. Lovelabs

Lovelabs Comrade

Sep 29, 2005

I know! I'd be the Psych. ward by day's end!

15. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Sep 29, 2005

Maybe it's a typo? Is that for real...92 kids?

16. Lovelabs

Lovelabs Comrade

Sep 29, 2005

I hope so, for her sake. I have 22 8 and 9 year olds and that's plenty!

17. MR ARMS PKTEACH

MR ARMS PKTEACH Rookie

Sep 29, 2005

We have the PROBLEM SOLVING STATION in every classroom. At the Problem Solving Station there is a poster of about 50 different faces with various expressions happy, sad, grumpy, etc. There is a list of instructions. The two students must go to the PSS and for example:
    Jimmy pushed Suzie.
    Suzie must say to Jimmy "Please come with me to the Problem Solving Station."......or the teacher can direct both of them there.
    At the PSS Suzie must say "Jimmy when you pushed me it made me feel ______."
    Jimmy must apologize for his actions, and they must shake hands.

NO ONE can leave the PSS until the problem is solved.

It really seemed to decrease tattling. We used it Pre-K to 5th.

Another neat idea is a vase with a plastic flower in it. If Jimmy pushed Suzie, then Jimmy must go get the flower and give it to Suzie and say he is sorry. Then Suzie puts the flower back. I use that with my Pre-K kids at my new school.

18. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 29, 2005

Mr Arms,
    Do you remember where you got that poster? I'd love one for my class.

19. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Sep 29, 2005

Oh oh...me too , me too! My little ones are driving me crazy with the arguing and need to learn how to problem solve:)!

20. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Sep 29, 2005

hehe!! yup! i also see 80 kinder kids too. luckily i also have another full time teacher + a teachers aide so i am not alone!!!

a friend of mine at another local school averages over 100 kids in every class. their school is WAY past capacity.

21. jcg

jcg Cohort

Sep 29, 2005

These numbers are out of control! Why aren't you protesting or maybe you are. . . Hmmm

22. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Sep 30, 2005

When I was in school the PE teacher had each 'class' for a period. For example, on Mondays the 1st graders would have PE and each class would take a turn throughout the day. If there were 4 different classes then they would take turns going to PE. Is this how it is still done in most schools? It seems a little more practical to me.

Having that many kids seems highly inappropriate, even for gym class. Or maybe I'm overanalyzing it:). BUT, you know what they say...everything is bigger in Texas;).

23. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 30, 2005

When I was in school each grade had their own PE slot... so all of each grade would be in there... we had 2 PE teachers. There would be around 80 of us or so per grade... sometimes more depending on the grade.

Lori

24. MR ARMS PKTEACH

MR ARMS PKTEACH Rookie

Sep 30, 2005

Yes, each class has their own slot for gym, about 30 minutes. So one class would be in gym at a time. I've never heard of them combining classes except for when they mainstream sp ed

25. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Sep 30, 2005

So glad I'm not the only one then. I thought for a minute that I was crazy and believing something that wasn't true. I can't remember any time when I was young being mixed with any other classes, even the same grades. I guess it all depends on each district and state, as with everything.

26. countrygal

countrygal Rookie

Sep 30, 2005

I teach first grade. Our counselor came to talk to our class about the difference between a tattling and telling. She did a thumbs up for telling and a thumbs down for tattling. She went over different examples and the kids practiced. Now when the kids come to me, I 'll ask them if they are telling or tattling. I'll do the thumbs up/thumbs down sign. They usually stop and ask themselves and it is usually tattling and they have to sit down. We also discussed different things we can do if we are tattling. For example, someone didn't clean up their materials. Instead of tattling, you can 1) Remind the person about the rules 2) Tell them you will help them clean up 3) Just keep it to yourself. This worked really well. The tattling in my class is rare now. We did tell them when it is okay to tell. Especially if it is an emergency, you can't help, or a person is in danger, etc... The kids love doing the thumbs up/thumbs down too!

27. jcg

jcg Cohort

Sep 30, 2005

Alittle boy came up to me today and said so and so said . . . and I immediately said "Stop, is this" he looked at me rolled his eyes and walked away. :cool:

28. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Oct 26, 2005

sorry if this idea was already posted......but it's getting time to get ready for work, but I'm addicted to this site!!!

Create a big tag board ear and post it on a wall.....tell them if they're not hurt, bleeding, or someone else isn't hurt or bleeding then they need to tell the ear on the wall. It's amazing but it really does work!!!

OR

Take a stuffed animal (or several considering the size of your class) and put them on chairs. Tell them to tell the animal (create cute names) and that the animal will tell you later what they said if it's not an emergency or bathroom/bleeding type thing. Sounds silly, but it's perfect for first grade (I've used it) and it also works for 2nd graders!!!!

29. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 28, 2005

Our counselor uses caterpillar problems and butterfly problems. I think she has one of those puppets that turns from a caterpillar to a butterfly. The kids are supposed to use their I messages when someone is bothering them or having small caterpillar problems. They have to say, "I feel ___ when you ____. I want you to stop doing that." If the other kid keeps doing that or if broken bones or blood are involved, then they can come to the teacher since it's a butterfly problem because it is bigger. It seems to help some, but there are still some kids who would like to talk to a big ear or frog. I may have to try that.

At my last school, there were eight sections of each grade level and the PE teacher had them all at the same time. She had three teacher aide's but still, that's a lot of kinders running around!

30. SYMBOLSTeacher

SYMBOLSTeacher Rookie

Oct 28, 2005

31. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Nov 3, 2005

I think the whole "I message" thing is pretty funny. They teach it at my school, but the truth is, have you EVER heard an adult us an I message? If you were at the grocery store and someone went ahead of you in line and you said "Excuse me, I feel mad when you cut in front of me in line. I want you to stop," you'd probably get punched! But that being said, the kids seem to like them. Some kids in the class really get into using them. I always stress the importance too, of when you're using an I message, make sure that you have the other person's undivided attention. (Some of the kids were trying to use them..but while the other person was walking away.)

But anyway, one thing I do when kids come up to me and tattle is I put it back on them. For example:

Kid: Mrs. XXXX, Brooke pushed me in line.
    Me: Ohh, how sad. What do you think you're going to do?

Usually they look a little stunned that they actually have to think. Sometimes they come up with a good solution (lately it's been "try an I message?")
    If they can't come up with anything I ususally say "Oh, well, I'd be happy to talk to you during recess to tell you what some other kids have tried." It's usually not that important that they want to stay in for recess.

32. Lovelabs

Lovelabs Comrade

Nov 4, 2005

If they tell me something that is truly trivial, I might say something like,"Okay, and there was recently was a terrible hurricane that devastated part of our country. Are you still complaining?" They catch on quickly.

33. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 4, 2005

My kids have to write out what they want to tell me. I got a form out of a differentiated instruction book and htey have to fill those out to tell me things That usually nips a lot of the trivial stuff in the bud.

34. Lovelabs

Lovelabs Comrade

Nov 4, 2005

I do a similar thing in the room. Other kids from other classes still tattle to me at recess. Drives me crazy!

35. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 4, 2005

I like that idea. I would imagine that they would really only want to write the things down that are actually important.

36. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 4, 2005

Christy,
    It sounds like what they used in a school I worked at. It's called the Tattle Book. If a child has a problem they have to draw or write in the tattle book about it. Actually I think I just called it the tattle book. I think the teacher called it the problem solving book lol.
    At the end of the day she would read it and discuss what the problems were and if they were that important and so on.