I NEED to stop. Overachiever has blown her stack! :)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 2, 2008

Two words- Open House.

Excuse me if I ramble. It is LATE. I am VERY tired. However, I must type it out first.

I am an overachiever. I cannot just get parents in my room and expect them to sit and listen to a boring little speech. No, no, no... so I sat tonight uploading the podcasts to the JPod website for the new radio show. I edited every single one in Audacity, enhancing the volume and fixing some of the parts where they stuttered nervously. That took about an hour and a half. Then I think... well, I should make a PowerPoint. So I did... with photos of the kids. Really cute. It included all my goals for the year. Very informational. Eleven slides long. However, I couldn't stop there and decided to type up a resource packet for reading and math. I included websites, a glossary, and more of my usual things. In the process of that, I had to print out the Reading Log calendar for October as well as the project sheet for this month for realistic fiction. Somehow I ate, showered, blew my hair dry (once again), and went to Wal-Mart to get ink as well as some cookies and crackers for the Open House.

O.M.G.!!! In the words of my fourth graders.... I am INSANE! I LOVE this year's class. They are incredible and I spend a lot of time working hard for them... however, I am going to wilt!!!

Wow. I just typed this out like a fifteen year old. O.M.G.!?!?! (Passes out from utter and complete teacher exhaustion) It's late, really late.

Personal life? Nix that until Friday. It's Open House day, and I have yet once again gone over the top!

Ummmm.... so... can anyone relate? Or am I in my own realm?

3. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Oct 2, 2008

WOW!!! Sounds like you are going to have an amazing Open House. As a newbie I'd love to watch a prepared and enthusiastic teacher in action :)

4. wig

wig Devotee

Oct 2, 2008

My dear: You have lost your mind. :lol: But how blessed your children and their parents are to have you as their teacher. Look at it this way: You shouldn't have to recreate the wheel next year. Right?

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 2, 2008

All I can say is I spent five hours baking food for my open house... and that was just the beginning.

6. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Oct 2, 2008

You did a great job. You sound a lot like myself!!! lol

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 2, 2008

Fourteen out of twenty was really, really good... considering they all had like fifteen brothers and sisters in tow, my room was certainly packed tonight.

Some parents were in and out in 10 minutes without saying much to me, but you know what... they still saw me in action, relatively calm. I amazed myself. The gerbils came in tonight, also. :)

I had even more in mind, but I drew the line by 4:00 this afternoon, realizing I had only 1 1/2 hours to realistically prepare. So I stacked their writing at desks instead of displayed it..

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 2, 2008

HOOOOORAY for you, Ms. Jasztal!!!! Congrats. It's such a great feeling of accomplishment when you get done with an open house. I hope you enjoy your high.

And 'boooooo!' to your principal for scheduling it on a debate night!!!

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 2, 2008

I was home before 9:00. It lasted until 8:00. Generally, I was free to go at 7:45... but... I was.... very, very exhausted when I left. I think from now I may be up one more hour, but that's all for me.

I know more families could have come, but I am proud of my turnout. It's been a long week. My kids were actually kind of out of their element today. They had almost too much energy. Even when waiting for buses, they were meditating and going "Wooo! WOOOOOOOOOO!" at one another. They were also singing something called the "Banana song". When I announced we had to clean, they were like "T minus 4?!?" and making German siren noises. Additionally, attendance has been down this week. One of my kids has been sick. I'm WORN OUT, but also my patience was on the lower side today. Lower than it's been all year.

However, I have to be in at 7:45 tomorrow... to print something with a mom from last year's class..... for a project.

It never ends!

Oh, and I must have won some sort of popularity contest because the kids screamed for me when I was announced tonight. More than any other year. I was taken aback. It was odd. It may be my exhaustion. Seriously.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2008

I'm glad that you survived!

BTW: did you get my leaves?

11. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Oct 2, 2008

I think you sound like a fantastic and dedicated teacher. I have a question. Do any of your fellow teachers complain that you do too much, making them seem somehow less? I too am an overachiever, doing preschool work ALL the time. But I am constantly getting in trouble by my director for doing too much, and that all three of the 3-year old teachers need to do the same things so parents don't complain. Notice, she never asks them to step it up. I am jealous you can fly with your ideas, lucy you.

12. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 2, 2008

Maxadoodle-

There is always one teacher at my school who targets me each year. My husband says it's because I do too much. I think that's the most unfair idea in the whole world, but it's probably true. You're not alone, and it STINKS.

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 2, 2008

Texas? No. I received KS, CO, and OH most recently. :cool:

The parents loved the leaves, also. One of my boys found a leaf that had been in chlorine that fascinated the class. The kids are neat about finding things and bringing them in.

Now onto my next answer....

14. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 2, 2008

Well. It's been quite a journey, Maxadoodle, to get to where I am at right now. My ideas don't always fly. Being only 26 doesn't help because I am still the youngest teacher in the school to this day. People are telling me to share all the time. It's not always fair, of course, being the advanced teacher, because I feel inclined to do more. People expect us to be on the same page, though I want to flip 1,000,000 pages ahead because I am sometimes very ADD and over-stigmatized. I at least don't let anything stop me with my website because I've been designing websites since high school. I am always adding to it. I am trying to help other teachers to embrace technology this year, too, but sometimes it's hard... I get caught up in it.

The teachers on my team work very well with me and care about me very much (and vice-versa), but it hasn't always been that way. But at least at this time they appreciate the fact my room looks like an artist's palette, I have 1,100 books coded and labeled, and I am always starting a new project. Yet that's me. I am also known for providing all kinds of information about St. Augustine, where I went to college. I am also known for taking pictures. My room is always a work in progress; it never seems to "settle". You may see atomic slime sitting in containers in one place while balloons are inflating with yeast in another place.

People do get envious because they ask where my energy comes from. They tell me I have a gifted mind (which in essence is true). People don't understand at times how I have gathered as much as I have had in the past four years of teaching. They think I must hypnotize my children or I am just fortunate every year to get "good kids".

Promise me, I've cried plenty. Not this year, but in the past few years. I've had my hard days because the last thing I want to do is be an outcast for being an overachiever. I just... love kids. I love my job. And also, I am myself... the person who always went above and beyond with projects in school, made other kids in the class scowl, and had a high GPA.

So... yes. I can relate. More than you know. :spitwater:

15. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Oct 3, 2008

Wow! That sounds awesome! I am, admittedly, not such an overachiever. I admire what you're doing in your classroom.

16. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Oct 4, 2008

Ms. Jasztal- have to say it, You sound like yourself again! Good to hear you are happy and the school year off to a roaring success. If you need any support, I am still in the wings!
    Ruth

17. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 4, 2008

Maybe I'll meet up with you sometime, Mommaruthie. Plus, I've been having withdrawal! Where have you been?!

I guess I am myself again. I've been a major overachiever lately. You should see my IPDP. It's insane. I think I had this all bottled up inside of me last year and I wasn't able to release all of it until now.

It's all about using data from computer lab/testing in class to determine strengths and areas to improve.

Step 1- Analyze data. Gather NCS (computer lab) data. Gather data from the testing coordinator regarding tests they have taken. What correlations are there? From there, are there any correlations with strengths and weaknesses across the grade level? How does this compare to the DART (their data from third grade)? What does our School Improvement Plan state regarding improvement in these areas? (Then looking at last year’s data, where were my students weak and strong on the overall test? Do I spot these weaknesses, also, with this year’s class?)
    Step 2- Inform Mrs. ____ and Mrs. _____ about where the students are strong and weak. They were their reading teachers last year. Did they notice these strengths or weaknesses last year?
    Step 3- Find and develop materials to work with their weaknesses and maintain their strengths.
    Step 4- Come up with technology they will utilize and create to work with their areas. (ie. Podcasts)
    Step 5- Inform their parents about their areas of strength and weakness with differentiated homework options.
    Step 6- Initiate the program with my class.
    Step 7- Work with grade 4 teachers to spread the program.
    Step 8- Expand the concept to teachers in grades 3 and 5.
    Why am I doing this? I feel responsible to an extent as Team Leader for how our fourth grade students do on the FCAT reading. Additionally, I would like to do better with individualized, differentiated instruction this year on my evaluation. I also would like for parents to be informed on how they can improve their child’s achievement, particularly if they are willing to assist.

18. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 5, 2008

You're truly inspirational Ms. Jasztal - you should do a teacher motivation lecture circuit! I don't know why teachers let jealousy get in the way of doing the best we can for the kids. I would love to work with someone who was so energetic - hoping it would rub off on me. I think it makes us better teachers to be able to share our strengths.

19. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 5, 2008

I'm FAR from energetic right now. I've been plagued (majorly) by sickness this weekend. :lol:

But maybe when I'm 100% there (right now, I told my family I am maybe 63.2% there), I'm pretty cool. I guess.

20. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 6, 2008

I think once I get through the professional development plan tomorrow, I will begin to mellow out again. :)