I Need To Scream!!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by skerns, Aug 13, 2009.

1. skerns

skerns Companion

Aug 13, 2009

I was just at a meeting tonight at the school and found out that my classroom is not going to be ready for orientation on the 27th. :( They want me to set up my classroom for orientation night without carpet or a ceiling, then take everything out of the room so they can lay carpet and finish the ceiling on Friday, then come back and work on Saturday to put everything back and set up before Monday. :mad: I have such cute props planned for my theme and 3-D stuff for my walls. What am I going to do? :confused: I am supposed to go in and paint my room next Friday, but I have lost my joy and excitement of getting a new room. :(

Signed,
    Very Sad
    :(

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2009

why the heck do you have to do everything?

4. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2009

Dear Very Sad,
    I just did a big scream for you. :(

that STINKS, big time.
    And I also must ask, why do you have to do everything?!

5. skerns

skerns Companion

Aug 13, 2009

Well I guess I don't have to do everything, but in the past everyone has their classroom ready. That way on orientation night the parents and kiddos can see the classroom and what it will look like when they start Monday. What can I leave out??? I would be horrified to have nothing set up, no decorations,, etc that night. Our school has a very formal orientation and I have to stand up front and talk and provide something for the kids to do while the parents listen.

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 13, 2009

I would tell your P that this is not going to work. He needs to find an alternative plan. No way could I do all that work in such a short time.

7. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 14, 2009

I am screaming for ya!

I think what the pp's meant was why doesn't the school provide some help for you so you are not having to do all of this by yourself. :dunno:

8. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Aug 14, 2009

YUCK! This stinks! :(

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 14, 2009

If kids come, that's a little scary for them. Adults can picture what it will look like later and be more understanding. Though as a parent I would start to wonder if it would be done in time.

10. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2009

If it were me, I think people would just have to deal with an empty room! I would reassure the parent the room will be ready. I would have a few things out (tables and chairs for them to sit) but all that other stuff would have to wait.

11. Jenstc2003

Jenstc2003 Companion

Aug 14, 2009

If it were me, I would have seating available for everyone, and enough decor to make it more "lived in" and give them a sense of your theme- but I can't imagine doing all of that work TWICE. I'd certainly explain that this is not how the room will look on Monday if I knew things were going to be together by then. If your building is going to be brand new, I'm sure that parents will understand that, and hopefully the students will as well.

12. skerns

skerns Companion

Aug 14, 2009

Screammmmm!

Well, I am going to tell the P tomorrow that I am not unpacking my stuff and then moving it.:mad: I will put the desks in and that is it. The carpet and ceiling tile people could possibly wreck my walls and he already said I have to touch up paint on Saturday too.:( I feel really bad for the kiddos, but oh well. :eek:hmy: I can't do it all twice. I am stressed just thinking about it, let alone how I will be that week. I am even thinking about chucking my theme. I wanted to do a camping one with a tent and trees. I doubt I will have time. Everything is packed, so I can't even do thing in advance. I bought and laminated nameplates, whoopee!! :crosseyed

13. skerns

skerns Companion

Aug 14, 2009

I just got an email to start work this Monday, a week early :( And my pp's father in law died and he will be away a few days. This is a crazy start to a school year.:mellow::mellow:

14. janney

janney Cohort

Aug 14, 2009

I would hang an "Under Construction" sign up and let the parents know that the room will be ready by the first day of class. Maybe you could send pictures home in a newsletter or set up a special time that they can come see the room after school has started.

I think that I would be more worried if I had a child and the room was decorated but the construction on it wasn't finished.

15. skerns

skerns Companion

Aug 15, 2009

Scream

Thanks, I think that is what I am going to do. :) But should I just nix the camping theme gift at orientation since my room with be bare except their desks. Or should I do a different gift? :confused: And I always take pictures of my students at orientation to add to my welcome door. There won't be any props for those this time. :(

16. janney

janney Cohort

Aug 15, 2009

I would still do the camping theme gift if that was your plan. You could put a label on it that says "Sneak preview of your new room."

17. skerns

skerns Companion

Aug 16, 2009

Thank you

Thanks, I think I will do that, I didn't want to abandon the whole thing.:)

18. Lumi

Lumi Companion

Aug 17, 2009

I can understand your frustration about the situation, but just get in there and get what you can done and try to be flexible about it. If you put up a big stink about it, that will get your principal's attention in a negative way that won't reflect well on you. And be careful which of your co-workers you vent with, that has a way of coming back on you in ways that are never pleasant.

...and be thankful you have a job and a room to decorate (eventually). I have a very low paying private school job and i have to share a room that I can't decorate at all. Anything that I put up on the walls has to be taken down at the end of the week and put away. I have very few resources and most of what I have to teach the kids (to our state kindergarten standards) comes out of my own meager paycheck. There are many people, like me, who would give their eye teeth to have a job that pays more than minimum wage and a room to decorate... even if it doesn't happen on the ideal time schedule.

19. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2009

I like the "Under Construction" idea - if you are excited at open house about having a great new room the parents will be happy and understand as well. Make a joke about construction jobs never being on time - believe, me parents know. I think it would also be a wonderful time to recruit some parents (not too many) to help you on Saturday. It is an opportunity to create a team of people working together and is an opportunity for dads who aren't comfortable or have the time to volunteer during the week.

By the way, where are the other teachers in the mix? Is everyone's room in this situation? If my room was ready and I knew other teachers were in this situation I would have already volunteered my services for the Saturday - seems weird to me.

Also in our district it is illegal for teachers to paint rooms because it replaces work of a classified union person not to mention if you are union they can't force you to come in extra days, etc. Of course, you want to come in to get it done but they can't force it.

20. skerns

skerns Companion

Aug 17, 2009

Some of the other teacher are in the same boat. :unsure: Because of the construction, they can not clean their rooms till later this week. Only two classrooms can actually be set up and done. We are helping each other this week. Just found out I can't paint until this Friday. :( The dry wall if off schedule a few days. Every room in the school looks like a war zone right now including the library and the computer lab. It was an addition and remodeling that is 3 weeks from finished, but school starts Aug 31st and orientation is the 27th. Yikes. :eek:

I know, I am grateful for my job and classroom, but I, too, only make around minimum wage. So I am definitely not in it for the money. It will all work out, I am sure. Just gets frustrating some days.:)

Thanks for all your support, I love this forum and addicted. :lol:

21. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2009

Dear very Sad,
    THAT STINKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Love,
    I feel for you!

22. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2009

I love the 'under-construction' idea and agree...parents will understand! I would just get what you can do done and hopefully after this blows by the rest of the year will be smooth-sailing. I'm glad that you are helping the other teachers, it's great when you have support like that. Good luck and let us know how open-house goes!!

23. skerns

skerns Companion

Aug 18, 2009

Wow!

My great news for the week is that we are not starting school on the 31st!!!!:rofl: They have decided to postpone school another week, so the construction can get completed!!! This alleviates so much of my stress. So I will gladly go in for the next two weeks and help get things done, since I don't have to panic about orientation being next week without a ceiling, carpet and paint. :)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  24. skerns

skerns Companion

Aug 19, 2009

Whoo hooo!!

Whooo Hoooo!!!!:woot: We don't start till September 8th now!!!

25. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2009

Wow, that's great! Obviously now the school year will be extended later, right? I'm glad you're feeling less stressed, and I hope you have your room exactly the way you want it when school starts!