I need to play games!!! Help!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissAmy, Jul 6, 2009.

1. MissAmy

MissAmy Companion

Jul 6, 2009

I am teaching a teacher workshop tomorrow and I am sitting here racking my brain trying to come up with a list of games I could have my students play with vocabulary or question cards. (They are already made up cards with questions on one side and the answers on the other. They're science.) Here are the ones I have...

tic tac toe
    bingo
    quiz war -(two or more students)
    around the world

I need some more ideas! What are some easy, almost no set up games that you play to review in your classroom!??

3. janney

janney Cohort

Jul 6, 2009

jeopardy
    balderdash (a game where each person in a group get the vocab word and make up a believable definition, then all of the definitions are read and everyone has to choose the correct one)

4. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 7, 2009

The science teacher on my team would take pics of vocab. words and would put it on a string. Students would put it around their neck with the picture laying on their back. Make sure they don't see their own pic. The kids would then walk around the room and the other students would have to give them clues on what their vocab. word was and they would have to guess. They can only ask 1 question at a time from each student and then move on to the next student.

5. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 7, 2009

My fifth graders loved 64,000 Question. The way I played was to put a triangle with words in it up on the overhead or Smartboard. One student faced away from the board, and the other had to describe each word until the first student guessed. They continued until they completed the pyramid.

If you want to use your cards for this, just have the kids put up a folder between them, or have one face away from the desk. The other student can arrange the cards in a "pyramid", with four cards on bottom, three above that, then two, and then one.

6. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 7, 2009

20 questions
    basketball (with mini hoops)
    baseball (using bases on the floor or the board)
    Dont' Forget the Definition (Like the TV show Don't Forget the Lyrics. Start a definition & students must finish it).

7. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 7, 2009

I'm going to try this. Thanks for sharing.

8. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2009

Pass the chicken: Students form a circle and pass a rubber chicken around. Each student who touches the chicken must list an item from the category drawn from a pile of cards (name a scientist, step of the scientific method, constellation,
    Chicken 2: Students form a circle and pass the same rubber chicken while music is playing. When the music stopped, the student holding the chicken answers a vocab question. If wrong, they must pass to the right or left. I usually don't eliminate those who answer wrong because they tend to stop listening if they are seated. For some reason, they love any game that involves the chicken.
    Swat: divide students into 2 teams who line up on opposite sides of the room. Put vocab words on the white board. give each team a NEW fly swatter. Read a definition. Students run to the board and swat the correct term. Oddly enough, they behave rather well because they love the game so much.

9. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 7, 2009

Pass the Chicken is a great game Maryhf!!!! I played it with a rubber chicken from a pet store and the kids loved it!! :D I would have 4-5 students come in the middle to be the guessers. The rest of the class was in a circle & they were the passers. We played 2 ways. Way 1 - The guessers had to give 5 things in a category before the chicken made it all the way around. Way 2 - The guessers kept giving items in the category until the chicken made it around. I used it as a PAT at the end of class and used topics like states, cities, musical instruments, cereals, candy bars, fruits, vegetables, etc... We switched up the guessers each turn to keep everyone involved.

10. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Jul 7, 2009

Leapfrog is a favorite. Ask the question and if a student is correct, he gets to draw a frog out of a pile of frogs for his team. The frogs have a number on the back from 10-50. That is the amount of points the team gets for the correct answer. A couple of the frogs say "leapfrog" and if you pull out the Leapfrog, you get to steal ALL of the other team's points. Great game.

11. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Jul 9, 2009

Here are two games I play with my second graders.

HANDS DOWN
    : Prepare index cards with the words on one side and definitions on the other side. Put kids on the floor in a small circles with 3-4 kids and spread a set of cards in the middle of each circle with WORD SIDE DOWN. The kids are looking down at the spread-out cards with only the definitions showing. The teacher calls a vocab word and the kids try to be the first in their circle to put their hand down on the correct card. They check if they are correct by looking at the card's flip side. You can play this game another day by arranging the cards with the definition sides down and only the word sides showing. Then, of course, the teacher would call the definition and the kids would try to be the first to put their hand on the correct vocab word card. It gets very exciting!

The second vocab game is a version of $100,000 Pyramid. I partner the kids and arrange them so one partner has his back to the whiteboard. Then I post a list of vocabulary words. The partners facing the whiteboard try to get their "back to the board" partners to say each vocab word. They can say the definition, give examples, etc. but they cannot use any form of the actual vocab word. This game is also a lot of fun.