I need to interview a parent of a special needs student for my grad class

Discussion in 'General Education' started by vickilyn, Jun 4, 2016.

1. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 4, 2016

I am working on acquiring my Teacher of Students with Disabilities certification in NJ, and I need to find someone who would be willing to answer my questions as the parent of a special needs child, aged 3-11, or 15-21. I would be happy to do this in private message if anyone would be willing to share that information with me. Let me say that this needs to be your child, not a student. I am also sharing that I have been where any parent who has a child with special needs is - my son was classified at 18 months. He is grown now, and if you have questions for me, I will answer them, either privately or on the thread, to create a dialog. It is not uncommon for the parent of a child with special needs to gravitate towards a career in teaching. If you can help me, I would appreciate it. This is a summer course, with long classes, but scrunched into a 6 week semester. I will be taking two more of these SPED courses in July into August, so it is hard to network with a variety of parents, teachers, and/or administrators in this framework. I am hoping that the forum members can help with these kind of projects, and perhaps answer a survey or two if appropriate. I don't need anyone to do my work, but I am needing to find people that are well versed in the topic to interview.

Feel free to reply to the thread or the PM me. Let me thank any and all who are willing to help.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 4, 2016

One of my colleagues has an almost 15 year old daughter with a dual identification--a mild physical disability and recently diagnosed ASD. She's out of town for the weekend, but I'll talk to her on Monday if you'd like.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 4, 2016

Mrs.C, I would appreciate that immensely. As I mentioned initially, if comfortable on forum, fine, otherwise PM me, and I can set up a phone call, or do the interview in PM. Your help is truly appreciated.

5. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Jun 4, 2016

I have a 5 year old with ASD. I'm happy to talk with you via PM and/or email.

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 4, 2016

I have a four year old with developmental delays and ASD. I'd be happy to answer questions via PM.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2016

I want to thank those individuals who have offered their help by being interviewed for my class. If anyone else can spare the time, I could use one more interview. The parent of an adult with special needs, or an adult with special needs who would be willing to interview with me would be fantastic. I would use my son, but we are not allowed to interview family members. Thank you for your help.

8. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 6, 2016

I'm an adult with special needs who is glad to answer any questions. Just shoot me a message.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2016

Thank you, and I will do just that a little later today. :)

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2016

I would like to thank everyone who helped me with my interviews for my class. Everyone was honest, forthcoming, and generous. I have been writing the final draft of my assignment, and since I was fortunate enough to interview across a large age range, I believe that my insights are greater, allowing me to truly put forth my best efforts. I couldn't have done this without your support, and really, support shouldn't have surprised me, since it is at the heart of this forum. Thank you for reaching out to me when I needed you the most. Wishing you a wonderful and peaceful summer. :hugs:

DizneeTeachR and phillyteacher like this.
  11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 11, 2016

I'm glad you got the support you needed. This forum is great like that.

DizneeTeachR likes this.
  12. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 12, 2016

Yay!

I was just going to messaged you to ask if you had any further questions for me