I need to change careers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teaching-is-hell, Jan 7, 2019.

1. teaching-is-hell

teaching-is-hell Rookie

Jan 7, 2019

I have been miserable teaching for 5 years now but my young family situation has kept me in it. I am 40 and I know that I must make a jump soon. I need to make 75K.

I really dont want to spend tons of time getting another degree. What can I do? What kinds of companies will hire an ex teacher? I feel like there are professions out there that I'm not really thinking of.

I do not want to do sales.

Also, how do I go about trying to find something? Contact recruiting staffs? Just posting my resume out there on LinkedIn, Indeed, etc? I'd love it if someone came and found me!

Thanks.

3. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jan 8, 2019

The first thing that comes to mind is working as a corporate trainer.

4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jan 8, 2019

Have you considered becoming an administrator? And why the 75k figure, if you don’t me asking? And how much do you make now?

The reason I’m asking is because an employer will sometimes inquire about your previous salary to try and assess your “worth/cost” to the company because if they can get away with paying you less, then they oftentimes will try and do that. However, it can sometimes be a good thing because I’ve known people who made, say $90,000, at their pevious job and so they asked for slightly higher than that when they interviewed elsewhere.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  5. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Jan 8, 2019

Of the teachers I know that have left the field,

-One opened her own art studio aimed at kids
    -One became a trainer for Wilson Reading Programs
    -One opened an organic co-op
    -One supervises student teachers at a local university, but I think he considers himself semi-retired and probably doesn't make a lot doing this.
    -One is a trainer for an "Educational Solutions" program- basically, he teaches school districts how to implement PBIS, or RTI...things like that.
    -One is a curriculum designer for...Pearson, maybe? Some major textbook company.
    -One works at our local bank as a teller, but has worked his way up to being some sort of supervisor
    -One does freelance graphic design
    -And one got sucked into MLMs- definitely don't recommend that route.

I think there are a lot of options for former teachers, but a lot of it depends on your skill set and interests. I just listed the above to give you an idea of how varied it can be, though I have no idea what these people make. I'd be willing to bet the PBIS trainer makes BIG bucks, just based on my casual acquaintanceship with him through social media. The freelance graphic designer seems to be doing really well too, but again, I'm just speculating.

What other hobbies/talents/skills do you have?

readingrules12 likes this.
  6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 8, 2019

7. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Jan 10, 2019

What do you teach? Depending what it is, that might guide your career opportunities. I imagine it's not math or computers, since if they were those you probably wouldn't be asking for such general advice. However, if it's English that could also be useful in a number of fields.

People aren't likely to come find you, even for roles in which you could do well. For people to be hunting you down, you generally need to have specific experience that they're targeting.

There are a number of certifications you could get which might also boost your chances. These involve a few months of study but can be helpful in transitioning.

How soon do you need to make 75k? Also, why? (If it's a mortgage, then moving isn't part of the solution, right?)

8. PinAlan

PinAlan New Member

Jan 10, 2019

"People aren't likely to come find you, even for roles in which you could do well. For people to be hunting you down, you generally need to have specific experience that they're targeting."

Words of wisdom, right there. :)

By the way, newbie here as well. Aside from being a teacher, I'm also a critter-lovin' guy. I live with my Pomeranian, James. Whenever I'm outdoors, I usually walk my dog in the park, though as a precaution, I'd fit him with one of those Garmin Astro GPS collars, as he tends to wander off most of the time. So, that's me. Have a nice day, everyone!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 10, 2019

People who are miserable in the teaching profession should not become administrators. Period.

10. futuremathsprof

Jan 10, 2019

Yes and no. Some people don’t like teaching and flourish as admin. I know admin who were prior teachers and did not like their job and felt administration was their true calling.

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 11, 2019

This just doesn't make sense to me. They hated teaching, but felt they could lead teachers, guide students, help parents, and run an entire school? C'mon, even you know that doesn't add up.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2019

I agree. An effective administrator recognizes and appreciates what happens in the classroom every day. They understand the challenges of teaching and are able to provide support and guidance to staff, students and parents when it is required. The most common complaint I have heard about ineffective administrators is that they don't remember what it's like to be on the front lines of education.

13. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jan 11, 2019

I am an ex teacher currently looking for nonteaching professions. Remember to update your resume and not have it "scream" teacher. That was my problem in the beginning; I was only looked at as a teacher. On my resume I took out my certifications. I listed my administrative skills and added odd jobs I did before teaching. I finally started getting interviews after I made that change.

14. futuremathsprof

Jan 11, 2019

I don’t really see why that is so perplexing. There are plenty of people who don’t like a certain job, but still want to work in the same field as a leader. That is a common thing.

15. futuremathsprof

Jan 11, 2019

One of my current VP’s did not like being a teacher, but now he loves working as an administrator. He wanted to be involved with education as a director and not an educator.

Another friend of mine wanted to get out teaching because she says “there’s no money in it” and so she got her EdD and then got hired by the state department of education. Now, she’s much happier and makes learning modules for various curricula and earns over $250,000/year.

16. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 11, 2019

Administrators are educators. We educate both teachers and parents (I provide PD for teachers and also lead parent education classes). Additionally, we (administrators) educate students by guiding and mentoring them. Finally, administrators are educators because we’re role models.

christie, MrsC and mrsf70 like this.
  17. futuremathsprof

Jan 11, 2019

Fair enough, I mean educator in a traditional sense.

18. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jan 12, 2019

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    nstructor likes this.
  19. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jan 12, 2019

20. JimG

JimG Comrade

Jan 12, 2019

1. Why are you miserable, and to what degree can you control or manage those factors that make you miserable? Are there aspects that would still show up and make you miserable once you find greener grass?

2. Transitioning to a brand new career path without extensive education or certification geared toward that career path, I find it hard to believe a $75k entry-level salary would be easy to find. If it is a dire financial situation, maybe there are ways you could supplement your teaching income.

3. If you do decide to make a change, you need to make yourself marketable to people you want to work for. That might mean learning an entirely new skill set, which takes time, committment, and likely money.

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2019

An effective school administrator does interact with the students every day; they need to be visible in hallways, classrooms and on the playground. Their door needs to be open for all of the students, not just those in trouble. It needs to be evident that they care about all aspects of the school community; that's how they are able to be effective leaders for everyone.

I've worked for many administrators during my career; the best were rarely in their office, the worst never left it.

22. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 12, 2019

So true!

My admin this year does not interact with our students at all. I find it very strange.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  23. futuremathsprof

Jan 12, 2019

@YoungTeacherGuy, I’ve always wondered, why do districts cycle their admin from site to site? If a P or VP is doing great things for a school, then wouldn’t it behoove said school to have an employee who is fully invested in it long term as opposed to just the short term?

Leaborb192 likes this.
  24. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jan 12, 2019

25. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jan 12, 2019

OP is not considering a school admin position..

otterpop likes this.
  26. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 14, 2019

We (site administrators) are at the mercy of the superintendent and school board. If they want to move us, then they move us. We have zero say. None whatsoever.

We've been told that each spring, they write the names of each school on a large white board along with the names of each P & VP on post-it notes. Then, they move us around or keep us where we are based on "fit". It's a several hour long process and about 5-6 people have a say in who goes where. Many, many factors come into play when they place us at a particular school.

otterpop and futuremathsprof like this.
  27. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 14, 2019

I love our current admin team! Our principal is constantly in the hall and popping into classrooms just to say hi. We have over 1600 students, and I'd bet she knows 1000 names, just from stopping and introducing herself in the hallway, and attending every kind of school event imaginable! Our three APs and assistant AP are also always out in the halls during class changes and and lunch. Each teacher here has a freshman or 2 to mentor, and our admin always sign up to mentor, as well. It makes such a difference! They never ask teachers to do anything they aren't also doing.

mrsf70 and MrsC like this.
  28. NewTeacher2016

NewTeacher2016 Companion

Jan 14, 2019

I am still alive and enjoying my new career. It turned out a coworker who got hired at the same time as me was a teacher himself, taught in inner-city and overseas.

MathGuy31 and otterpop like this.
  29. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 15, 2019

I might have missed it. What is your new career?

otterpop likes this.
  30. PinAlan

PinAlan New Member

Jan 21, 2019

"Yes and no. Some people don’t like teaching and flourish as admin. I know admin who were prior teachers and did not like their job and felt administration was their true calling."

That's not always the case though. It depends on the personality and work attitude of the person.

31. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jan 21, 2019

I love teaching, and I love working with children, but I need a break from the classroom now that I have my own kids at home. I applied for an admin position last year and didn’t get it. When I found out who did, it was a teacher who wasn’t great and did the bare minimum. I talked with one of our sped admin about why and she said “sometimes the worst teachers make the best administrators”.

That’s such an awful perspective. The best admin I’ve worked with and for are the ones who have a heart for students AND can lead staff.

32. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jan 22, 2019

Good luck with all that! Fortunately, I'm retired now, but when I was looking for another field to get into when I was fed up with teaching, most HR people would say, "Ah, all you can do is teach." They're way too lazy to think about the skills that are associated with the education profession and how those skills could apply to their business.

Also, sorry to say, being 40 and looking for 75K? I'm afraid "that ain't happenin'" in today's job market.

33. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jan 22, 2019

This is what I am going through now, but I am younger than 40, and I am applying to jobs not anywhere near 75k. It is tough to get out of education with high pay. It is true what you said that these employers really do not realize how many duties and multi-tasking teachers are responsible for. These skills can easily be applied to any position. However, it seems like past job titles are more important to them.

34. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 27, 2019

To the OP: there are some teaching positions that would leave out the 2 main negatives teachers cite: dealing with student behavior and spending way too much time lesson planning. Maybe you consider those? You spent so much time and money on getting your credential, why let it go to waste?
    1. there are online schools, such as k-12.com, etc. I don't know much about them so I can't offer details.
    2. independent study. I've transferred to a school like that (same district, actually that school merged with my old school and now actually even my old school is half independent study).
    I love it. The students are really angles. I'm not being sarcastic. But I can imagine half of them, if put in a classroom would be the Sleepers, Back Talkers, Jokers and other major problems. One on one, they have no audience, have no reason to disrespect me and we can just focus on learning and getting ahead with their credits.
    Yes, it is a lot of paperwork, and I knew that, but you have time for that. What I didn't know was how you can really get to know these students. I have 29 students and over half I have developed very good relationships within the first couple of months. Quite a few opened up to me about deep things. There are a few who who are still shy by nature, which is fine but I know I can actually make a difference in these students' lives. I couldn't have had the same conversations, or give to same amount of time and attention to each of my students while I was classroom teaching.
    I do miss standing in front of a classroom, but I happily gave it up for peace of mind ad no overtime. There is no planning. everything is in the computer and you print it out. No it doesn't seem like teaching at all, but you go over it with the students, you can modify the assignments and you pt as much more into it as you want.
    At my school we can actually teach some elective classes to these students (we have music, arts and crafts, ELD, etc) and I ' just now starting to teach English 3 (students are struggling with that curriculum, way too high), and English 2 (novel, some students would just not open a novel on their own). I volunteered to do this, classes start this week and I'm super happy because I have the best of both worlds.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  35. nicfaust

nicfaust New Member

Jan 28, 2019

Hi there. Try to figure out what kind of job or profession you are interested in. Then start searching for companies or employers and also, try to understand what are the main requirements. Probably you will need to learn something new for that job:)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  36. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Jan 28, 2019

Why is 75K your magic number?
    My friend lives in Maui and 75K provides him the lifestyle my 40K does in Iowa. If I had stayed in I.T., I would be miserably making 75K by now but could live ridiculously well AND afford a coke habit.:dizzy:

37. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 28, 2019

You adjust your lifestyle according to how much you make.

otterpop likes this.
  38. JimG

JimG Comrade

Jan 28, 2019

I prefer Mountain Dew myself.

39. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jan 28, 2019

Those two jobs you listed are difficult to get even with teaching experience. I have tried. Your current job sounds amazing !

otterpop likes this.
  40. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jan 28, 2019

41. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jan 28, 2019

Of course, the fact is that there are very few jobs that pay $75,000 that you can get with just a degree in education and/or experience as a teacher. If those kind of jobs were easily available, you'd have a lot fewer teachers.

futuremathsprof and otterpop like this.