I need to cancel my job Interview....thoughts?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TamiJ, Apr 25, 2020.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2020

I am devastated because I have been planning my move back home to California after teaching internationally since 2009. However, I no longer feel that this is a good time to make that move due to COVID. I resigned from my position in November, and have been actively applying to schools and job hunting since February. At the beginning of the month, my principal knew I was feeling very stressed and worried because of COVID, and she told me she still has a position open, and at my same grade level. She said she would hold off on hiring anyone for a while, but she needs to know soon-ish because they hire teachers abroad.

Last week, I finally had a school district contact me and I now have an interview scheduled with them in May. However, I am worried about being in an airport, flying on a plane, and just the overall idea of how stressful all of this will be during COVID. Additionally, I am in the process of trying to immigrate my husband (we have been working on this since July 2018), and that process is super slow, and now will be even slower. As such, I am really thinking to accept my principal's offer and stay another school year. If I cancel my interview, will that look bad? Could I be blacklisted? Do you think they would understand my reasons of staying put during COVID? Any thoughts you could provide on the matter would be appreciated. Thank you!

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Apr 25, 2020

It would depend on the district's need for teachers. In some places, it'd be no problem. Just my opinion, I think it is smart to stay put. I don't think travelling is safe yet.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2020

Is that to mean you think there is a chance I could be blacklisted?

5. Tired Teacher

Apr 25, 2020

There is a small possibility if it is a hard to get into district. A principal or HR person could make a note.
    The 1st district I started in wouldn't have thought a thing of it. They would not black list you because they needed teachers.
    Where I am now, there are way more teachers than kids and they look for ways to sift through candidates quickly.
    I have known lots of certified teachers here who gave up a long time ago and got other jobs. Others left the area to get experience.
    It all depends on teacher need.

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2020

Okay. Thanks for the information. I think this district is very eager for teachers (they have increased the number of years of experience they are willing to give teachers new to their district) from what I can tell. There were multiple openings, so, hopefully I won't be blacklisted. The interview isn't until May 7th, and it was just scheduled this week (3 days ago). It won't be a last minute cancellation, so I hope they keep that in mind. I also hope they can understand that COVID is making it difficult for everyone, and why I think it is very risky to be moving during such a time.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  7. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 25, 2020

Is there a reason that you can't interview over Zoom or Skype?? My district hired me and others through remote interviews, even without a pandemic. Now my district is doing all interviews remotely, even the local ones. Have you asked if this is a possibility?

Caesar753 and Tired Teacher like this.
  8. Tired Teacher

Apr 25, 2020

Oh, it sounds like it should be no problem. I figured most districts would interview over Skype right now. Where I live is maybe unusual. Someone has to retire or die usually to get a job! Once in a blue moon an interventionist or Title person will quit. They won't let any experienced classroom teachers take those positions. Unless it is a district transfer. There are a couple of remote schools though in the district that no1 wants to go to because they are bad places to live. They are fly in jobs.

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2020

The interview is on Zoom. The issue is I live in Mexico. I am worried about the reality of making such a big move during COVID. I am in Mexico, so I would be moving to California. I worry about being in an airport and on an airplane. In other words, I am contemplating not moving back to California and staying here until COVID has calmed down.

10. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 25, 2020

Oh, okay. I don't know where you are in Mexico or if you have access to a car, but... Is driving an option? How are you planning to move all of your belongings?

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2020

Basically, I am contemplating not moving at all. I resigned in November, but am finishing the school year. Since I am at an international school in Mexico, we have to give notice in the fall because they have to hire teachers abroad. I was planning on flying back home this July. That was back before COVID broke out. My current principal told me at the beginning of April that they are still looking for a teacher at my current school, and basically offered it to me. I can accept it, and not have to worry about flying back and restarting my life in the midst COVID, or, I can continue my journey home, which means being in two airports and in one plane, and starting anew during a pandemic. I would almost rather just stay in Mexico, at my current school and ride this out. I feel safe here in my house in Mexico. I feel unsafe going to the US. However, I currently have a job interview for a school in California (on Zoom) in May. If I accept my principal's offer, I need to cancel my job interview, and I am wondering if they would blacklist me from future interviews if I cancel.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  12. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Apr 25, 2020

Sounds like you have made a decision. It's a tough one. But if you feel safest staying put in the middle of a pandemic, do you think the school in California would not understand? I hope they would. And if they didn't, it might be a bullet well dodged.

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2020

I am thinking the same thing. We are in the middle of a world pandemic. My daughter (she is 18) would be on the plane with me, and I don't want to potentially expose her to anything. I am very disappointed because we have been planning this move for a while. The district is where I really wanted to get in. I feel devastated and heartbroken. However, I never planned on COVID. I never planned on a world pandemic to happen at all, but even less at the same time we were going to be moving back home and starting over. The pandemic is scary enough in the setting you are used to and comfortable with, imagine coupling it with some major life changes. If the district doesn't understand, then I think you might be right. They might not be the kind of district I would want to work for.

14. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 25, 2020

I misunderstood your initial post. I thought you were concerned about traveling for an interview. I agree that it sounds like your mind is made up. I honestly don't think you would be blacklisted from a school for canceling an interview. I've never heard of that happening. It would be different if you had accepted a position and then backed out... but an interview is just an interview. No time wasted on anyone's part. This is especially true if it's a larger district. They likely won't think twice about it. If you're really worried about it, then explain your situation and concerns. Any reasonable person would understand.

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 25, 2020

I would shoot them an email on Monday to let them know that you need to cancel the interview, but hope to set up another one in the future (briefly explain your situation—don’t over share).

bella84 likes this.
  16. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2020

How much information do you think I should give?

RainStorm likes this.
  17. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 25, 2020

If it were me, I would just say something like this:

“Thank you so much for the opportunity to interview for xyz position. Unfortunately, I will need to cancel the interview. Given the current pandemic, my family and I have decided that we will not be making the move to California this year. I plan to re-apply for positions in this district when we do finally make the move next year. I hope to have an opportunity to interview with you then. Thanks again, and take care!”

RainStorm and TamiJ like this.
  18. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 26, 2020

That sounds great. Thank you so much!

19. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 27, 2020

I think right now and in the near future, maybe the rest of the year you could have a very hard time to get emigrate your husband here, at least based on what I've heard Trump say once (not sure if it changed, or they misquoted him, etc). It sounds like your decision is to stay and you should always go with your gut feeling. If a district blacklists you because you choose the health of your family over a job, then you wouldn't want to work for them anyway, right?