I need to buy crayons for a demo

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by MissFrizzle, Jun 24, 2008.

1. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2008

Chubby or regular size? what do you suggest? pre K Sped... I know it's a silly question, but I want to be prepared.

Glue sticks ok?

3. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jun 24, 2008

In my class both pre-k and gen ed (blended room) we started out and mainly stuck with the big crayons- not the "so big" but the large- we didn't really use glue sticks- more glue with q tips, spreaders or popsicle sticks. We used to put just a bit of glue in film canisters (most cvs or walgreens etc will give you some if you ask).

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2008

Thanks ChicagoTurtle

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 25, 2008

My 4 year old uses the regular ones with no problem at home. Personally I would bring both and show them that the student has a choice because not every child has the same motor skills and some may need more practice while others should be encouraged to use smaller ones if their fine motor skills are stronger.

6. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2008

In my preK class, we use both glue sticks and "squeeze" glue. My aide prefers sticks, I think it's important to teach them how to use real glue...so she uses the sticks when her activity calls for gluing and I use the bottles! LOL! We stick with big crayons (Large size, not so big size) all year.
    Kim

7. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 25, 2008

Mrs Frizzle,

I've worked in PreK special ed classes and they used chunky triangular crayons.

Best of luck on your demo!!

Lemon

8. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Jun 25, 2008

We start out in K with the big ones, but I would take both kinds to show how accommodating you are :)

9. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jun 25, 2008

I teach preschool 3s and i use the bigger "chunky" round crayons and markers. I sue glue sticks for most paper to paper projects, but for some projects I use regular liquid glue and give them each puddle of glue on a small plate and a paint brush so they can paint the glue on-- that way they don't get it all over the place or their hands--as some of them have some sensory issues

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 25, 2008

I have a hard time finding the "fat" or chunky crayons for my students. I want to get all the colors and some packs in the stores only come in a few colors. Where do you guys get them?

11. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jun 25, 2008

You can find the chunky, triangle and so big crayons in the teacher catalogs or sometimes at the art/craft stores. During back to school which is being set up in some regular stores they are in the early ed aisle.

We use wet glue, we allow glue sticks on occasion (not if you are gluing beads to something-for instance) but we LOVE glitter glue for developing strength in our fine motor muscles-like playdo. You can't use glitter glue to hold anything on-just decorate. :)

"just a spot, just a drop, not to much know when to stop" is the rhyme we use to learn to how to control the regular size bottles. Even our 2's use the regular bottles.:2up:

12. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jun 25, 2008

My director orders them-- from Discount School Supply I believe

13. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jun 25, 2008

The best crayons are actually regular crayons broken in half without the wrapper. The small size naturally encourages tripod grips.