I need tips and ideas

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Kendra, May 11, 2011.

1. Kendra

Kendra New Member

May 11, 2011

Hi! I've spent the last 2 years teaching Kindergarten, but now I'm moving to 2nd grade. I need help! I have the summer to prepare but I want to go into it somewhat organized. Answers to any of my questions would be appreciated!!!!

***What kind of centers do you do and how do you organize them?? Do you have links to center ideas?

How do you manage behavior?

What kinds of books are in your classroom library? Any favorites among students??

Anything you can offer would be great! I've never even substituted in a 2nd grade room so I'm as new to it as you can get! Please Help!!!

3. txmagistra

txmagistra New Member

May 11, 2011

Well can't help much...

but I also am moving to 2nd grade in the Fall and am very excited! Been teaching older kids and doing tutoring. Good luck!

4. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

May 11, 2011

I have gotten a lot of ideas from this site

http://secondgradeclub.ning.com/

It isn't as active as these boards are, but you can share documents, so that helps a lot

5. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

May 11, 2011

Depending on your school and the students my library ranges from Reader 1 books (I have students on a K level) to early chapter books. Some of the favorite chapter books are Junie B. Jones, Captain Underpants, Nate the Great and Goosebumps. Also, they love biographies and nonfiction when they don't have to read them.....

As for stations I have library, paired reading, listening, computer, Smartboard (overhead), ABC (HFW's and spelling words), and Writing.
    Have fun!!! 2nd grade is so much fun!!!!!

6. Srohl

Srohl Rookie

May 13, 2011

I have a system set up where my students earn play money. They use the play money to buy the privilege of show and tell, lunch with me, a homework pass, or to win something in an auction. They learn how to manage their money quickly!! They earn play money for attendance, doing homework, good behavior, etc. I even make them little wallets out of old wallpaper books. I also ask parents for donations for the auction. I ask them to spend no more than two or three dollars. They come up with the coolest things! One parent even made up little mystery bags which made for a lively auction!

7. Kendra

Kendra New Member

May 14, 2011

These are all wonderful ideas. I'm certainly going to have to upgrade my library. I have boat loads of picture books but very very few readers of chapter books.
    Thanks for all the ideas!!

8. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2011

Non-fiction is HUGE and so are joke books or riddles
    Magic Treehouse
    Junie B. Jones
    Horrible Harry
    Arthur
    Robert Munsch books

LOVE following along to chapter books as you read aloud. Charloette's Web, Boxcar Children, Mr. Popper's Penguins, Junie B., Magictreehouse, Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, How to eat Fried Worms
    (Checck with older grades to see if any do units on these books first)

I HIGHLY recommend using the Daily 5.

9. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2011

I also use a number system.
    Every child is a number.
    This number is added to papers and I can easily see which is missing.
    Also great to quickly identify on trips.
    You can also have odd numbers get paper while even numbers get crayons.
    Ideas are limitless.

My students also use white boards and dry erase markers lots. They are so quick and easy for math problems and spelling. Kids LOVE markers and erasers.

I attach magnetic clips to sides of desks for the kids to hang unfinished work. It's a visual for both them and me.

Spelling tests are on Wednesdays. Just something new for mid-week. My spelling is also words and sentences. For instance we may have a list of color words and our sentences may be:
    The United States flag is red, white, and blue.

10. JoviHawk

JoviHawk Rookie

Jun 22, 2011

Literacy Work Stations by Debbie Diller is the BEST book I've read about how to run centers. I've been teaching 15 years and it gives the best ideas on how to run centers effectively.