I need surgery...WWYD?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by DrivingPigeon, Oct 13, 2015.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 13, 2015

I finally went to a pediatrist today, and he told me that I need to have my hammer toes pinned, and I need bunion surgery. He said that he would highly recommend I have it done within the next year, because it is getting worse, and I've been in a lot of pain.

I will need to be off of my feet for 8-9 weeks post-surgery. The obvious solution is that I have the surgery next summer when I'm not working. However, we were going to start trying for baby #2 in May. We would have to put our family plans on hold for the summer. My daughter is currently in daycare. If I had the surgery in June, I would need to be off of my feet until August. It would probably be difficult to care for my daughter when I'm home alone with her all day (she'll be 1 in March). Plus, what a rotten summer!

Would it look horrible if I had the surgery during the school year? That way, my daughter could go to daycare, we wouldn't have to put our family planning on hold, and I could enjoy my summer with her. However, I was off for 12 weeks last year for FMLA when I had my daughter. That would be 2 years in a row that I'm off for a big chunk of time. And it's not an emergency surgery, so I worry that it would look bad that I'm not having it done in the summer.

What would you do?

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 13, 2015

I would think that the quality time with the baby you already have & your surgery are the priorities over trying for a 2nd baby. How about doing the surgery during the 2-3 that are least important in a school year & then still spend the quality time w/ your daughter in the summer & you would have halfway been healed up some too by then.

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 13, 2015

It kind of all goes together... If I have the surgery earlier, I can enjoy quality time with my daughter, and try for baby #2. :)

I was thinking about March and April. Then I would be off over spring break, and I could come back for the last 5-6 weeks of the school year.

5. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Oct 13, 2015

Can you work it around winter break? You might be able to get two weeks that wouldn't have been with students anyway. Depending on how much you needed to do or travel, you could possibly do it the end of November or beginning of December.

I would do it sooner rather than later. It needs to be done and there is NO way I would do it with two kids if I could help it.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 13, 2015

Sounds pretty good! I know teachers HATE being off the first couple months or the last couple mos of a school yr.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 13, 2015

y 2nd post was in reply to your other post DP, but teacherpippi's suggestion sounds good too.

8. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 13, 2015

Hmmm....That's a thought. We only get Thursday and Friday off for Thanksgiving, and in December we have Thursday/Friday, and the following week off. So the week of spring break would be similar. I'll have to consider that one!

9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 13, 2015

Something I didn't think about until now is that I'm breastfeeding. I want to make it one year. I do have some pumped milk saved up, but I would like to avoid engorgement and "pump and dump" if I can. The spring date may work better for me for that reason.

10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 13, 2015

It doesn't have to be emergency surgery to have it done; you're in pain!

Another thing to think about - do you have enough sick leave?

11. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 13, 2015

That's what I would have to look into. I think I have 18 days, but I also have short-term disability. We could afford for me to take some of it unpaid, if needed.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 13, 2015

Do what's right for your family. Is it possible to do separate surgeries and decrease the amount of time off? I have a colleague who had Bunion surgery and wore a boot for a while... She was definitely not out for 8 weeks

13. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 13, 2015

I'm not sure...He made it sound like it should be done together. I could check, though!

14. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Oct 13, 2015

The first thing I would check is when you are eligible for FMLA again. You get 12 weeks a year, but most places makes it a rolling year. So you might not be able to take leave until you have been back a full 12 months, and it would depend on if your district includes the summer months in that.

Secondly, assume you exhaust all your sick days now and get pregnant immediately. Can you afford another maternity leave with very few sick days built up?

If it were me, I would have the surgery in June as soon as school got out, and just delay trying for a baby for one month. I would also research daycare for the summer.

15. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 14, 2015

I sent an email to our HR rep who handles leaves, so we'll see what she has to say. I think it would fall under long-term disability, but I'm not sure? If it's a calendar year, I could do it as soon as March 5th.

I honestly don't want to look into daycare for the summer, unless I really don't have any other option. I've been having a difficult time with my daughter going to daycare, so I would like to have her home with me ASAP. To be completely honest, I think that if she were in daycare during the summer, I would be very depressed knowing that she could be home with me. I spent about 2 hours this past Sunday night crying on and off, because it was almost Monday. If she went to daycare in March and/or April, I wouldn't feel as bad, because she was going to be in daycare during those months all along. There is also a possibility that I will not return to work next year, and I will be a SAHM.

16. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Oct 14, 2015

I was using crutches during my student teaching and I was in a boot for the first few months of my first year. It's not comfortable, but it's doable as long as you can keep your feet elevated as much as possible.

Do the surgery when you have a chance, don't worry about missing work (as long as you are OK financially).

17. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Oct 15, 2015

I would ask a lot of questions from the doctor. Sometimes "off your feet" means to put them up when you can. However, I have had a foot surgery that had NO weight-bearing activity for 8 weeks. The difference is HUGE. In the latter instance, you are virtually bed-ridden unless you are in a wheel chair, especially if both feet are involved. I wouldn't want to be responsible for an infant under those conditions, and trying for second baby would most certainly be on the bottom of my list of priorities until you are comfortable and walking well again.

Been in a similar situation, and I am here to tell you that while getting rid of most of the pain was good, I would have to think long and hard if the second foot had to be done.

18. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 15, 2015

I actually only need to have my left foot done, thankfully!

I agree that I need to get more questions from the doctor. I'm going on November 3rd to be fitted for orthodics, so I plan on asking more then. I think I was in suck shock at the appointment that I didn't know what to ask.

I'm meeting with my principal tomorrow. I found out that my FMLA kicks in again starting in January, so I'll have 12 weeks available to take.

Lots of decisions to make!

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 15, 2015

If you have FMLA coverage and can afford to take the time off (through sick time, short-term disability, and/or savings), then I would recommend going ahead and doing it this school year, perhaps during the 2nd semester. If you do, though, you may have to put pregnancy plans on hold for a bit, at least if you do end up returning to work and need FMLA coverage for that. Whatever you decide, I think you're probably going to have to put something on hold.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  20. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 16, 2015

We had a K teacher who had the surgery a few years ago. She did one foot at a time, and had to be totally off her feet for a week or two (arranged to be over Christmas and then spring break), and then borrowed an electric scooter that she was able to use in the classroom for the rest of her 8 week recovery time. Yes, it was a pain, but she was able to make it work.

21. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 16, 2015

I would have the surgery in the summer if you can't find a way to work afterwards because you just had off for 12 weeks, want to take another 8 this year, and if your baby plan works first shot you will be off again the next spring. The only way I would consider it is if you did what amakaye said and were able to miss just a short time and use a scooter or other device to help you get around.