I need some kind and inspirational words...

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by serawyn, Oct 19, 2005.

1. serawyn

serawyn Companion

Oct 19, 2005

I am so mad I'm crying right now.

A few weeks ago, my boss asked if they could use my classroom as a daycare from 4-6pm everyday. I told her that period is important to me because it's when I prepare my materials for the next day (setting up centers, etc.). I was also hesitant because there will be children in there touching and playing with my stuffs (even though they are not supposed to). I mean, children will be children and I don't blame them for wanting to play with the toys in my classroom. However, having other people in my class just means more work for me...cleaning up, making sure things don't "walk out" of the classroom, making sure the toys/materials are taken cared of, etc. My boss told me she will make sure to let me know and we can "test it out at first".

Anyway, a few weeks went by without further discussions. Today I heard someone opening my classroom door. I thought it was the night janitor coming early, but when I went to the door, the person asked, "Who are you?".

My reply was, "I'm sorry. I'm the teacher here. Can I help you?"

Her reply, "No, I'm the teacher."

Me: "uhhh...."

So, I called my boss up and asked her what is going on. She told me, "Oh, yes. The daycare person is coming in today. Remember I told you we will have a daycare in your classroom?"

I didn't know what else to say so I packed my bags and left, feeling as if I don't have a classroom of my own anymore. I'm so upset. Am I overreacting? I think it's so inconsiderate of my boss to just do this to me. I wish she could have at least told me about this person coming into my classroom.

I'm a new teacher. I spent soooo long setting up my classroom and making sure things are the way they need to be. It just feels so wrong to me that this person came in and claimed she's the "teacher". I've never met her or heard of her. She just came in acting like she owned the place! I really need some advice and kind words. Have this ever happen to you before? Please tell me things will be ok?

I don't want to return to my class tomorrow and find out all the toys are taken out and thrown about. Also, the time when the janitor comes in and vaccumm is at 5:30 (when the other class/daycare is in session). What will my classroom look like when I return?

3. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Oct 19, 2005

It has happened to me before, and I was a real you-know-what about it. I guess that's why my room was still in decent condition the next day. I had no problem staying a few minutes to speak to the teacher and the after care children about the condition of my room. I also labelled some shelves "do not touch." Once the teachers and children realized they'd hear it from me if they disturbed something, it was left alone. I also got a lock for one cabinet and all my really good stuff was stored in there. I gave one shelf in the room to the after care group to store things that WE weren't allowed to touch. You really should tell that principal to tell the other teacher that it is YOUR room and she is using it for wrap around care!

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 19, 2005

I work at an after school program and we rent out space in an elementary school. We are required to completely clean up after ourselves and do not touch any materials that don't belong to us. I wouldn't worry about your room too much. I'm sure they will make sure that things are where they're supposed to be before they leave.

5. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Oct 20, 2005

I agree with the labeling shelves idea. I worked as the Sunday School teacher at my church back home for six years. I had a problem with the kids who came for activities during the week stealing or wasting my stuff, writing on my white board with permanent market, etc. I finally labeled my shelves- Miss Bre's shelves or Kid's shelves. If they came in during the week, there were books, toys, crayons and some paper. The tape (they loved to just unwind it all and make a ball), markers, and stuff for projects stayed on my shelves. A few parents complained, but it worked really well.

6. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 20, 2005

So, how did it go? What did your room look like this morning??

7. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 20, 2005

Every place I have ever been in I have had to share something. Be it the room, supplies, etc. This is something that is common. For instance, at my church we are trying to build a proposal to put in a daycare. The rooms are currently being used for Sunday school as well. I know that if this happens that the room will not only be the daycares, but the church Sunday schools's as well. There has to be mutual respect on both sides and you have to work as a team, not just individual teachers. Sit down and talk with this new teacher and tell her your expectations. Write down a classroom rules list for other people to follow when they are in there. This happens a lot and it's really not anyones fault because of the lack of space. You have to just grin and bare it and know that the people you work for have to work with what they have. Meaning, a new room can't suddenly appear.

8. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Oct 20, 2005

I would talk it over with the day care teacher, I would tell her that you did not ok, it wiht the principal and you are worried about the kids damaging and rearranging your class. Let her know that you use the time in your room for planning. Ask her if she can talk to the principal about using a different room.

9. Lovelabs

Lovelabs Comrade

Oct 20, 2005

I feel for you. I've been through this. One year a summer school class was held in my room. I have spent hours and hours creating centers and other materials. The teacher just helped herself to my personal stuff without even asking! Her kids ruined things and left my room a mess. I was furious and raised ****! I'd make it very clear to her that she is "borrowing" your room, and explain your expectations. Good Luck!

10. serawyn

serawyn Companion

Oct 20, 2005

oh my gosh! I am so furious! I came back to my room and things are NOT where they are supposed to be. There are crums on the carpet, my tables are sticky (they must have spilled juice), and my white boards are "erased" but they're not cleaned like they're supposed to. I got up at 5:30 this morning so that I can get to class at 6:30. I spent 1 hour cleaning and putting things back (chairs, scissors, crayones) where they belong. I have cups of crayons that have the 8 basic colors and they were completely mixed around.

I stayed after class today and spoke with the other "teacher". She basically told me it's also her classroom and she doesn't think it is "that messy when [she] left". She said she'd try to clean it more...oooi, lets see tomorrow how things go.

11. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Oct 20, 2005

Excuse Me. Things I buy are mine not to share. I would get doors on my shelves. Buy some hinges and a screw driver and do it yourself. Always a first time for everything. Have the lumber yard cut them the correct size for you. And put a lock on the doors. I was a city gal married a farmer and I have learned to do things I thought I couldn't do. I would lock my desk also. Hope this is posible. I see lots of stress bubbling up here. OOPS!!!!! I gave you bad ideas.... That is school property and they might come unglued if you messed with it. Just go buy a couple cupboards on wheels if possible with doors and locks. Or add locks. And move you supplies from place to place.(center to center) Be this your excuse. Leave out a couple cans of colors and keep yours nice locked up. You shouldn't have to supply for all the students. When you leave the cupboards are yours you bought them. I don't like what I heard about this other teacher. I like a clean room also. I wipe down door knobs, desks, pencils everyday when colds and flu are bad. And several times a week otherwise. You can buy a cupboard with shelves in it that locks they are cheap built, but they work..... for a little less than a hundred dollars for books, paper, and things like this.

12. TeachWildThings

TeachWildThings Comrade

Oct 21, 2005

Since you have a night janitor also talk to your director about him coming into your class after the other leaves. Are you expected to share supplies? That should be a seperate budget or the other teacher's responsibility. Get your supervisor on board (if you can, after all you were to "try it out") to help set your boundries. I like the idea of talking to the students directly too. Hope things go better!

13. Dolla

Dolla Companion

Oct 21, 2005

I feel for you. Although my class isn't used as extensively as yours is by another person, my children are taught arabic for one period every day. The teacher does not understand english and she has used all my things as well. She even used my playdough which I made out of my pocket and "conveniently" left my container open and all the playdough went as hard as rock. She has written with permanent marker on my board, gone through my drawers and given out my stars to the kids (which I also buy), taken everything off my board which I was busy teaching with and just threw it on my desk and left it there and even after I've tried to explain and ask her several times not to mix up my colours (I have 12 containers with the same amount of different colours in each), she still ignores me and I have to repack the containers several times a week.

I understand how violated and angry you feel as you have put a lot of work into your class, as did I, and I don't find it fair that someone else can come in and take over as if it was their hard work that went into it.

I'd just explain to the other teacher what I expect my class to be like when I come in the next day and show her the things which are out of bounds to her. If that doesn't work I'd also do what scarlet begonia did and clearly mark the items not to be touched and if you found that they had been used or moved, tell her that there will be problems if she doesn't conform to what you asked of her.

Good luck

14. Lovelabs

Lovelabs Comrade

Oct 21, 2005

It's not fair and also how can anyone be so incredibly RUDE? I would never take or use something without asking. I actually was told initially by the teacher that used my room that I was being selfish!!!!!! UGH!

15. Dolla

Dolla Companion

Oct 21, 2005

That's ridiculous. Sometimes I wonder how people can be so self centred and in plain words, ignorant of how much work actually goes into making a class a class. Why can some people not just understand that a teacher takes pride in her class and the way she does things and doesn't particularly enjoy having it all turned upside down!

16. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 21, 2005

I use to be very generous with giving out things of mine to be lent out. Now, after the experiences I have had with getting things back broken or not getting things back at all, I do not loan anything out. If I was in this situation I would not be leaving my own personal stuff out for other teachers to use, only the things bought by the daycare itself. Some people just do not take consideration for others peoples belongings, but will turn around and feel the same way for their own things.

17. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Oct 21, 2005

I spend a lot of money on my classroom, and I consider it an investment. To me, an investment is something that you take care of so you can have it for the future. I started teaching in 1997 and I still have things that I bought (and still use!) from that first year. At the job where I labelled everything, that was all I needed to do. At the job I'm at now, I needed to explain to other staff members my "investement" philosophy. I sort of jokingly told them that "I'm too cheap to keep buying this stuff" and that's why you need to keep your hands off! And it's a big problem at this school - I'm the only teacher with markers, rulers, counting bears, sorting buttons, decent crayons, white construction paper, colored pencils, good tape, etc. And the only reason I have these things is because I BUY them! Then, when I BUY them, I make sure they last all year by taking CARE of them! Perhaps the teacher who uses your room doesn't realize your level of "investment" in the room--be it monetary or your own time. Let us know what happens next week!

18. hatima

hatima Devotee

Oct 21, 2005

It is inconsiderate of your boss to let another teacher use your room. If the other teacher sees it as her room too, I'd lock up the supplies I worked to get or bought and let her provide her own supplies for her daycare kids. If all else fails and she continues to leave your room a mess maybe you could talk to you boss about the condition you leave the room compared to the condition the room is when you come to school in the morning. I wish you luck on this.

19. gigi

gigi Groupie

Oct 22, 2005

If speaking with the other teacher about clean up and items that are off limits, you must speak with your director. I have had this happen to me also, and every day it seemed like I spent more time cleaning and sorting items. I did get results, and did have to spend some time locking things away. I know just what you are talking about.

20. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 22, 2005

I really hate other people using my room. I feel for you. I don't have to do that right now, but have in the past and I did a lot of talking and writing notes to them unitl things straightened out. I don't care if they like what I have to say...or not.

21. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 22, 2005

We had a church which met in my building for one semester. (At that point my admin must've gotten sick of my complaining.) They used my classroom as their nursery! Oh, my, what things they left behind - pacifiers, shoes, toys, etc. The kids also broke several of my personal items. I was livid. Also, how did I know if they used our desks as changing tables? I brought that up to the principal and she looked appalled, as though she hadn't considered that. I sure had. I finally put notes on my door, then locked it from the outside (with permission).

22. MelissaB.

MelissaB. New Member

Oct 23, 2005

I can relate! I too am a teacher who has to share with others. Our classroom is used by children for Sunday school as I am in a church preschool. Firstly, I would share my concerns and be honest to your boss on how you feel. This will build a repour to have her on your side in case anything goes wrong .Then , I would lock up or cover anything you do not want ruined. Tell the other teacher you understand she has a job too, but mutual respect of the classroom and the belongings should be respected equally by both of you. I would let her know where you stand on what you want done and not done from the start. Convey this also to your boss and let her know you were a little taken aback by the other teachers comment on the class being hers. This will set the tone and maybe your boss will see in a different light on how you are feeling a bit intruded upon. Keep up the good spirits and it CAN work as I have done this now for 10 yrs.

23. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Oct 23, 2005

Good suggestions, MelissaB.!