I need some ideas please...

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by karebear76, Sep 17, 2011.

1. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Sep 17, 2011

I have a student that I just don't know how to help. I am so out of my element with this student that I don't know where to begin. IEP is due soon (the 28th) so I need to figure it out so I can come up with appropriate goals.

4th grade student: IQ is measured at 45, classification multiply handicapped, receives OT and speech services; previous placement multi sensory resource room more than 60% of the day; basically no science or social studies

current placement regular resource room 41%, inclusion science and social studies (with 3 adults in room for science, 2 adults in room for SS)

able to write first & last name; can write numbers but cannot add basic facts with anything except calculator (even 1 + 1); reads 25 sight words

I have zero time in my current schedule to work with her 1:1...my other students aren't reliable with independent work and classroom becomes chaotic (15 students at one time :dizzy: so much for specially designed instruction)

Any suggestions for dealing with this student? Not a behavior problem, but does fidget a lot and is easily distracted (psych report listed autistic tendencies but not the diagnosis)

3. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 17, 2011

If the student has a measured IQ of 45, wouldn't an out of district placement be more appropriate for them?

What grade?

4. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Sep 17, 2011

Just because a student has an IQ of 45, does not automatically mean they require an out of district placement.

Kb- I'll post some suggestions tomorrow. At least you're seeking help! Gotta play the cards you've been dealt. Hope to help you tomorrow.

5. Rosy0114

Rosy0114 Rookie

Sep 18, 2011

Absolutely not! A student should be educated in the least restrictive environment no matter what his/her IQ is.

I'm struggling to come up with ideas to help you because I don't know where you fit in... which teacher are you? Are you the teacher for the self-contained sp. ed. classroom? Or the reg ed teacher trying to integrate the student into gen ed science and ss?

6. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Sep 18, 2011

Kb-

What are some of the student's IEP goals? It does sound like your setting might not be 100% appropriate for her --- but as we all know, this is a common occurrence in special ed and as long as she is on your roster, you have to serve her to the best of your ability. It's great that you are seeking help here (and probably elsewhere too!)

Is she able to work independently? Are there skills that she could work on independently? Perhaps she could be your "buddy" and help. Ps out pencils, paper, etc. And then when you get your other kids settled you could get her settled. Is this something she would be able to do?

If not, the underlying issue you need to work on is independence. Kids even with the lowest of IQs need to learn this skill that they will need for the rest of their lives. Is she able to follow a schedule? You could make her an activity schedule that she could follow during work sessions, which could include tasks that help her with the skills she is working on. I remember reading about this kid in other posts, I think, I but I can't remember what you've tried, etc. Touch math might be a good option for her... With the adding issues. Also , I can't remember what grade she is, I think fourth. I would probably give the addition stuff a good run but if it does not seem like it's sticking, you know what? Who cares if she needs a calculator. You could focus on things like menu math (using the calculator to add up prices on a menu, counting out dollar bills - try teaching her "next dollar method" or "one up method" for money. Tailor most of her instruction on skills you think she will need in her life, but still exposing her to the skills that the rest of your kids are working on. Science and Social studies might be a good time for daily living skills, personal information, current events, etc.

Could you list a few of her IEP goals (are they realistic? If not, you should tackle that part from the ground up). With some of the IEP goals listed, I could help you come up with some activities that she could do.

For a student with that profile, think- repetition. It's perfectly ok for her to do the same worksheet all week, with help the first day, a visual the second day, reminders the third day, and independently the fourth and fifth days.... You know? Have no shame in using repetition with her. A lot of times that's just what they need, and feel comfortable with.

Feel blessed that she's not a behavior problem!! That could really throw you for a loop.

This probably hasn't been that helpful but I will try more once I know some of her goals. Also, kudos to you for seeking help and trying to figure out what to do with her instead of just saying "she doesn't belong in my room." Do your homework and be sure to take data that might reflect the inappropriateness of the setting, to preserve her education AND that of her peers in that setting.

You've got this!

7. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Sep 18, 2011

I am the resource teacher; the only sp ed teacher for 4th grade at my school, so although my educational background & expertise if you will is with the mild-moderate population, I do have to provide services for whichever students are in 4th grade. I don't think that the current placement is the LRE, but that discussion will have to take place during the meeting, hopefully with a positive outcome. Student is fully included for science & social studies and it is not meaningful at all. Student completes the things given so grades will be passing but student will not have any retention of it at all. It would be much more meaningful to have daily living skills...

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I want to try my best...right now I feel that I am failing this student and the alternate assessment peers, of which there are 2: another MH classification (with a 1:1 aide) and a CD classification, neither of which are as low functioning.

This student's current goals (to be rewritten the 28th):
    will increase community safety by stating personal information on a daily basis with 80% accuracy as measured by a teacher designed checklist.

will increase oral reading fluency (from first grade score) using a first grade reading passage by 50% of baseline.

will count a collection of coins to 1$ 8/10 time by the end of the school year 2011.

Also has an OT goal and a speech goal.

Not able to work independently, not able to copy from board or paper, easily distracted, fidgets a lot. We do not have a self-contained classroom right now. We have the multi-sensory resource room teacher who has K-1; a 2-3 resource; myself the 4th resource; and a 5th resource.

I'm most concerned with math and language arts, as the 5th grade resource teacher does reading instruction for this child. We split my super large group with her so I didn't have 19 students at one time for specially designed instruction...