I need some help!!!

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by adria, Oct 2, 2007.

1. adria

adria Comrade

Oct 2, 2007

I have a student and she is autistic, I must add severly. She doesn't use speech to communicate and etc. I have to come up with some activities for math, reading, social studies and science for the child to complete. Can someone give me some ideas.

So far this is what I have come up with. I will read the Hungry Caterpillar and through many attempts I will guide the child to sequence the life cycle of the caterpillar. For science, I will allow or should I say guide the child to sequence the life cycle of a plant. Now I need something for math and social studies.....if you care to give me more ideas for reading and science please do so.

This is for the GAA portfolio....oh, the child is 9 yrs old.

3. adria

adria Comrade

Oct 2, 2007

Thanks

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 2, 2007

She could sequence the events in the story (first there was an egg, then....) to demonstrate her comprehension of the story.

Could you talk about nutrition for science -- nutricious foods vs. junk food? I think he ate through a pie right?

5. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Oct 2, 2007

Think about a lot of visuals. Auditory processing is very hard for kids with autism, so if you're doing story sequencing, do it in pictures, have a child put the pictures in order.
    For math, use manipulatives, something that she can feel.

6. adria

adria Comrade

Oct 3, 2007

Thank you

7. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

Oct 3, 2007

Math--sorting and categorizing (photographs, objects, etc depending on how much she can do); patterning (with shapes, or colored pegs, or stickers, or bingo markers, etc)

Science--comparisons of various attributes such as light/heavy, loud/quiet, big/little, soft/hard, short/tall, full/empty--you can do "experiments" where you gather the objects, say for heavy/light, and you have a picture of each object, next to either the words or symbols for "heavy" and "light". The student picks up each object, tests it, and chooses the picture or word for heavy or for light and circles it (marks it with a marker, etc). [I guess I'm thinking of pretty low-functioning students, but you could modify it in either direction]

Reading--you can also read stories, using object and/or picture supports, and then use the same object/picture supports, ask comprehension questions about the story --multiple choice usually(what animal did Joe see at the zoo? Student selects the appropriate animal figure or picture to answer. Etc.) or you can ask yes/no questions with pictures or whatever means the student uses to answer yes/no. If the student is able to mark her own answers, great, if not, she can indicate in whatever means she can and if you must turn in a product, you then hand over hand help her mark whatever she chose. If this is for portfolio, you can list that under accommodations you used for the student.