I need some help...

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by future teacher?, Sep 12, 2006.

1. future teacher?

future teacher? New Member

Sep 12, 2006

I am trying to become a teacher... I went to college in NJ and graduated with a bachelors in American Studies. I was in the teacher certification program but wasn't able to complete it. So I worked in retail management. Now I've left that job because it's not the lifestyle I want to lead.(Career change and I'm only 24!) I've always wanted to be a teacher.
    I have been told that all I need to do is substitute 40 hrs and pass the nys exams to vertify.
    But how do I get a foot in the door without classroom experiance? I was thinking volunteer work to get back into the classroom (I did lots of it in college in the teacher ed program)... Any ideas or direction would be helpful...:confused:

3. teach2heart

teach2heart Rookie

Sep 14, 2006

I would suggest volunteer work. Is there a volunteer tutor program in your district? This might be a great place to start! I did this while going through my certification program to give myself more experience. You could also just contact the secretary at your local schools to see if they need any volunteers.

You could also look into becoming a teacher's aid if you would like a full year of experience? Just a thought- good luck to you!!