I need some help!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by hewilley21, Aug 15, 2005.

1. hewilley21

hewilley21 Rookie

Aug 15, 2005

:eek: I am a brand new teacher fresh out of college with little experience in the classroom other than student teaching and a few months of subbing. I feel like I have no IDEA what I am doing!!! I feel like I must not have learned a thing in school because I feel extremly lost! I am going to teach third grade at the charter school where I was hired and have never been in this grade only 4/5 grades and I do not know how to start off the year! I don't remember what I did on the first days of school while I was in school. My methods usually were in the weeks following the begining of the year and my student teaching was in January so I feel like I don't know where to begin. Can some of you seasoned vets help me out and give me some suggestions? I would appreciate if some of those in third grade could give me some pointers as well. Thanks so much! :eek:
    :thanks:

3. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 15, 2005

Hi,

Congrats on your job. I taught 3rd and a 2/3 split before moving to 2nd, but basically, I do the same thing on the first days. I introduce myself (using a Me Bag, then I give the kids their first assignment to do the me bag-if you want more info, let me know), the school (tour), rules (or come up with them together, and write them down-gives the kids ownership)-discuss consequences/possible rewards, routines-what to do when come in, where hang stuff, sign up for lunch, hand in homework or a folder, do they read first thing, do a journal, bell work, etc...in what order? I write this all on chart paper as we go over it and leave it up for the first few weeks. Let them put their stuff neatly in their desks, my kids have nametags with their numbers on them, if they don't have something labeled, I pass out sharpies and they label with their number. I usually do a few read alouds-Chrysanthemum (sp!), First Day Jitters (very cute, great for predicting) If you take a mouse to school (may be too young), any book about school is good-someone recently posted about first day books. Go over snack policy-mine is healthy, non-messy foods only. I do a b'day graph. EAch kid writes their name and the number day they were born on (the month goes on the back), then we put them up on the wall making a bar graph. Then we discuss, they wirte two things they learned from the graph (can't write, I learned Joey has a b'day-duh!)-1st assignment. Go over policies/routine for using the bathroom, getting a drink, sharpening pencil, etc. WHat is your quiet signal? Use it, practice it. WE have to go over recess rules with the kids, so I take them out to do that. We do a math message (daily calendar) everyday, so we start that immediately. Talk about when their specials are. Are there areas of the room that are off limits (behind your desk, at your computer?) WHat are the jobs? Explain, model if necessary.

I know I am forgetting tons, all my stuff is at school-sorry!

Obviously, this is in no particular order, but hope it gives you some idea.
    Beth

4. aualumni

aualumni New Member

Aug 15, 2005

Need advice? I was recently hired by a charter school for a kindergarten position. Well after a day of orientation, I was told that I no longer had a kindergarten position. Apparently the principal of the school overhired two teachers for K. She gave one a first grade position and then proceeded to tell me that I was to now teach fourth grade, which I am not certified and need to take praxis three this year. Well, the next day I was then told that I was to be an instructional assistant, which the pay is terrible. I didnt go into education for the money....but should I pass on this and just sub for the year. I don't feel I will be gaining any experience making copies ....need advice?

5. aualumni

aualumni New Member

Aug 15, 2005

Need Advice

I was recently hired as a K teacher at a charter school. I was hired on a Monday. By Tuesday, I was told that the the CAO, or principal of the school overhired two K teachers. One got moved to first grade...I was told that I was going to teach fourth grade now....I am certified PreK-3....this made me a little nervous, plus I need to take praxis three this year. Well, on Wednesday I got called into her office again, only to be told this time that she wants me to be an instructional assistant. The pay is terrible, plus I was really excited to finally be teaching only to be let down again. I feel that this principal was so unprofessional and really doesnt have a clue about whats going on. I did not take the job....just wondering about some thoughts on this.....??

6. DaisyGirl

DaisyGirl Rookie

Aug 15, 2005

Hewlilly21 don't worry you will be fine. Last year was my first year teaching and I taught 3rd grade. On the first day we did introductions, talked about the schedule, had students make up classroom rules (with my help), showed students around the classroom, had students do a fun interaction game with each other, and I had them write about something they did this summer that was a lot of fun (then they shared these with the class). The time will fly on the first day and you will have more ideas for the following days to come. Good Luck!!

Aualumni I'm sorry you have been moved around so much. Do you think you will take the assistant job or will you look for a teaching job somewhere else?

7. teaching2nd

teaching2nd New Member

Aug 15, 2005

The book that saved me...

Last year was my first year teaching-and the book "The First Six Weeks of School" by Paula Denton & Roxann Kriete saved me!! It clearly lays out the first 6 weeks of school, on a day to day basis. It really focuses on building community-which I think is so important. It has the 6 weeks layed out for k-2, 3-4, & 5-6, so it's all very age appropriate. I will continue using it for many years to come. Many people commented on my strong class community & positive environment, & I believe it had a lot to do with this book. Good luck! (Oh-I ordered the book off Amazon.com) ;)

8. ohteach

ohteach Companion

Aug 16, 2005

I understand that you are anxious to start teaching but it does not sound like this job is for you. I would try subbing because it is my understanding that subbing would weigh more then being a teacher assistant when it comes time for interviews again. Plus with subbing you may have a better chance at being hired in that district next year. The sad things with Charter Schools is that some (not all) are run by people who sometimes care more about bringing in the money then they do the students. There is a website, I believe greatschools.com where parents can leave feedback about a school, maybe check that out if you are still undecided to get the reviews from the parents about how the school is run. Good luck, Ohio is not a good state to be a teacher in as far as getting a job, I know that from experience.

9. hewilley21

hewilley21 Rookie

Aug 21, 2005

I think you should talk to the principal on how this made you feel so that it would not happen again. I think maybe if you took the job then kept looking for another one so that you were not unemployeed while looking. I know that if at my school something like that happened my prinicipal and buisness professional would make it up to me.