I need some good and quick ideas, HELP!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Youngteacher226, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jan 24, 2006

I am student teaching in a 3rd grade classroom and I want to do a fun activity with the kids, but i want to incorporate a picture book with it. I love picture books because I am "early childhood" in my sleep,:tired: but I want to come up with an activity that 3rd graders would like. Knowing me, I will probably come up with a "baby" activity because I am so used to my preschoolers. If anyone is familiar with 3rd grade and has done art activities, cooking activities, games, group activities, ANYTHING related to a good picture book, please help me come up with something fun for these kids. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE, I love getting good ideas from seasoned teachers!!!:) :)

3. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jan 24, 2006

Is there a unit or a topic you are studying? Any picture book is just so broad. :)

4. Youngteacher226

Jan 24, 2006

Well here's the thing, there is no topic. I felt a need to do a "warm up" activity with the kids to get them to open up to me more. I was going to present the book to the children as my "favorite book" which I hope will make them feel like they know me a bit more after sharing something special to me. So...I wanted to read the book, but do something fun with it also. Some books I am considering that I love so much is: "Rainbow Fish", "Brown Bear, Brown Bear", "Love You Forever", "The Grouchy Ladybug", "The Hungry Caterpillar" you know, I can go on and on. If anyone has done fun activities related to any story, please share. That would help me out so much!;) ;)

5. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jan 24, 2006

I think some of those books might be a little young for third grade, but they are classic good books you could do an activity to step it up a bit perhaps.

Last week was my first week teaching, and I had a book almost every day that I read during morning meeting. Not all of them had activities though, just discussion. I just wish I had time to do all the activities I thought of. :)

First Day Jitters - I read this my first day
    I Like Myself - Self-Portraits with multicultural crayons
    Swimmy - you can have each kid make a fish, and make one big fish
    Big Al - we talked about making friends
    The Crayon Box That Talked - You could have each student decorate a crayon and put them together to make one big crayon box to represent your class
    Chrysanthemum - You could do any name activity. You could make a graph with the letters in your name.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 24, 2006

What about doing something around Janell Cannon's Stellaluna and having the kids research bats?

7. Youngteacher226

Jan 24, 2006

I guess some of these books would probably be some of the children's favorites also, so I think reading them isn't such a bad idea. The problem is I like to do a follow up activity with everything I do. Especially with 3rd graders!! Just reading these books might be a bit boring. I don't know....but thanks for the ideas. :)

8. Youngteacher226

Jan 24, 2006

Oh, that is a good idea Teachergroupie!! I think 3rd graders might like something like that.:)

9. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jan 24, 2006

Maybe with Brown Bear they could write their own class book. They can each write their own page, or each pair contribute a page. Or they can each write a book in teams.

For your activity do you want it to be a get to know you activity or just anything?

10. Youngteacher226

Jan 24, 2006

"A getting to know me" activity would be great!! I mean that is my goal so that I am less of a stranger to the shyer kids and a person that the outgoing kids can open up more to. I just don't know what book out there would spark a discussion about "me". Do you have ideas on that?:confused:

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 25, 2006

Last year I did a picture book activity with my Grade 5 students. All chose a "rich" picture book from the school library ("No, SpongeBob is not a "rich" picture book!). After reading the book, they wrote and published a short (1 page) retell of the story (we were working on main idea and supporting details) which they published on the computer. For art, they needed to reproduce one of the illustrations from the book (using a variety of tools and techniques). We mounted these together with the retell and displayed them in the library.

12. Nanny

Nanny Rookie

Jan 25, 2006

You know with Black History month coming and Dr. Martin Luther's birthday just passing, maybe you could read a book about him and have the children come up with an "I Have a Dream" activity. I discussed this with my preschoolers and even though some of them didn't really understand what a dream was, you would be surprised at some of the lenghty stories that they told about their dreams. By the way my favorite book is "Love You Forever" The first time I read that book to my grandson, I cried.

13. Youngteacher226

Jan 25, 2006

:D Thanks to everyone for each suggestion posted!!:D
    I am excited about coming up with something that would be a nice and creative way to "break in" before doing the "teaching" stuff.
    Nanny, "Love You Forever" is one of my absolute favorites!! I cried too the first time I read it and I read it to every preschool class that I teach.:( I hope these 3rd graders would like something like this. I'm worried that what I choose to read may be babyish. Does anyone have any suggestions for a book that is related to a quick cooking activity. (nothing that requires a stove). THis school is not too equiped with those resources right at arms reach. And I'm new and I don't want to bother the kitchen already. Maybe a cooking activity that just requires the kids to be creative and have fun?:)

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 25, 2006

It look like Spilled Milk...could have them make what they see in the clouds.

15. MissaG

MissaG Companion

Jan 25, 2006

On my first day with my fifth graders (took them over in December) I read a book called "This is the Teacher" It was a funny book depicting the craziness that happens on any given day. Each page adds a little more...

The first page says: "This is the teacher all ready for school."

The next page says: "These are the students who trampled the teacher all ready for school."

And so on...

I then had the kids make their own progressive story where they introduce one thing then have something else come in causing a problem for that thing. They really liked it and had a lot of fun drawing the pictures to go along with their books.

It was the perfect way to break the ice with them.

16. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jan 28, 2006

Start reading a chaper book fifteen minutes everyday. The best of the best.... Charlottes Web. Take a sugar cookie, cover it with chocolate frosting, add eight licorice legs and raisin for the head.

17. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 28, 2006

If you used I love you forever. You could have the children write their own versions for their parents/grandparents or who ever takes care of them for Valentines day.
    Then use the laminator and book binder. The students could even wrap it.

18. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jan 28, 2006

Even if you love a book like "Brown Bear" or "Hungry Caterpillar," I think you should choose a different book for the third grade. At that age, kids are VERY aware of not being babies any more and they don't want to be babies any more. I don't think they'd warm to the book.

I love the idea of the crayon box that talked...have you ever heard that book? It's great. And then have large crayon shapes pre-cut for them to decorate, using words/pictures to tell you five facts about themselves. You could do your own crayon first, as a way to introduce yourself. Their crayons could really "talk" that way!

As for cooking, what about reading a book like "Snowballs" by Lois Ehlert (which is a VERY quick read), and then do no-bake snowball cookies? I don't have the recipe handy, but you could do a google search and find one easily. OR, have the kids frost and decorate, prebaked snowman cookies, using a variety of materials (raisins, sprinkles, m&m's, whatever). That sort of mimics what happens in the book.

19. Youngteacher226

Jan 28, 2006

Hello everyone,
    I just wanted to thank you all for your ideas. I did my "warm up" activity with the kids yesterday and it went great!!! What I did was I had the kids go over to the rug (the cooperating teacher has the desk on one side of the room and a large carpet that she uses to teach the kids also, great idea). When they came over to the rug, I explained to them that we were going to get to know each other a little bit better by doing the activity. I explained to them that I wanted to read one of my favorite storybooks to them and I hope the book will end up being one of their favorites. The kids were real excited to see what my favorite book was and I showed them the cover. Some of the children have read the book and some had not so everyone was interested in hearing it again. I read "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie" to them and as I read the book the chidren laughed and some would read along with me. I was great!! After reading the book, I explained to them that I wanted a chance to get to know some things about them and they can learn something about me as well. So what I did was constructed a writing assignment that went "If you give me a ______, I will probably ask you for a ______ because........" And the children were instructed to come up with something that their friends may not know about them. I did one for example on chart paper "If you give me a television, I will probably ask you for a remote because when I relax, I like to watch my favorite t.v shows". The kids began asking me questions about what were some of my fav. shows and things like that!! So they all completed their writing ***. and shared with the class afterwards. Everyone really thought of something interesting to say. Afterwards, I surprised them with cookies and milk for a treat for doing such a good job!! The CT gave me compliments and other teachers complimented me that I got the kids attention and got them to write for me in the first week of being there!! I am happy that went well and I think I have warmed up to the kids and I can be successful in doing my lessons from now on. Thanks to everyone for their ideas!!

20. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 28, 2006

Congratulations! It sounds like a rewarding accomplishment.

21. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jan 28, 2006

That was a fantastic idea. I love it! Congrats. :)

22. Youngteacher226

Jan 28, 2006

Thank you upsadaisy and miss kirby, It was something quick and simple but it worked with these kids! They were already sharing things with me and asking me for help on their work and things like that, but this just made them say, okay, this student teacher is alright. Some of the cute replies the children gave were, "If you give me a pizza, I'll probably ask for chicken wings because that my dad and I love to eat pizza and chicken wings while we watch t.v". Another response was "If you give me pencil, I'll probably ask you for sketch paper because when I grow up, I want to be a cartoonist and draw comics for Marvel comic books." I mean, I really learned something about each child and I think that I will use this idea with my second group of kids during my next student teaching experience in March.

23. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jan 28, 2006

That would have been really cool to do with my second graders! I might keep that idea for the future. I'm glad you learned a lot about your kids. :)

24. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 28, 2006

Congratulations I am glad it went well!

25. cinmcl61

cinmcl61 Rookie

Jan 29, 2006

I did my student teaching in 3rd grade. We took 2 versions of The Mitten and did a Venn diagram. The kids loved this - they loved being read to and this activity kept them thinking and very busy. They each completed their own Venn diagram and thne we hung them up and talked about them.
    A great place to start is Jan Brett's web site - she has ideas to go along with her picture books

26. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jan 29, 2006

wow! congrats. i'll have to keep that idea too. i'm doing my first actual teaching lesson in second grade on tuesday of this week. i won't use your idea. but i'll most definetely keep it in mind for later occasions!!

27. Youngteacher226

Jan 29, 2006

Like I said before, this idea was something quick and simple to do during your first week of student teaching. I would'nt call it a "lesson" but it helped the kids warm up to me, talk to me and ask me questions about myself. I got to learn alot about them too!:p Just wish me luck on the next several weeks, that is when I will be doing my actual lessons. Let's hope they go okay. I'll keep everyone posted!:p

28. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jan 29, 2006

good luck! believe me, at the point i'm at in my college education, that's what type of lessons that we are doing. we pick a book and do a follow up activity. that's as advance as we've gotten so far!

29. Youngteacher226

Jan 29, 2006

Wow, what do you mean? Do you mean at your school(college) or do you mean in the classroom you are student teaching in?