I need some advice!

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by vjcdncr, Feb 17, 2008.

1. vjcdncr

vjcdncr Rookie

Feb 17, 2008

I am an education student at Villa Julie College. I'm in a 2nd grade field placement this semester, and I need some advice. I have trouble thinking of good motivations for my lessons, anytime I teach a lesson. I also would like to know of any suggestions to help me with classroom management. If anyone could help me out, that would be fantastic!

Thanks!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 17, 2008

Motivation:
    be excited yourself about what you are teaching- enthusiasm is infectious

Tie new lessons in with something the kids are interested in- I recently saw a demo lesson where the teacher tied the Super Bowl to football themed subtraction problems

Connect to prior learning

Classroom Mgt:
    Be Proactive, not Reactive

Catch them doing the right thing and reward for the ones who are doing the right thing- could just be praise, thumbs up

Signals- lights out, clap a pattern, count down from 3

Be clear in your expectations, rules, procedures and directions

Do some reading on the subject: 'Cooperative Discipline' by Linda Albert, 'Love and Logic', ...

What works for the classroom teacher that is already being used?

Don't be afraid to be firm- the kids will test your limits...

4. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Feb 17, 2008

I have second graders also and here are some things I do that may or may not work for you.

I try to make the lessons as fun as possible by either making up a song beforehand or with the kids. You can google songs for just about any concept and find something you can put to a tune.

We also do as much kinesthetic as possible. They have too much energy to make them sit still all day long. Even if it is something that they have to sit for, I alternate having them stand for answers, instead of raising their hands, etc. When it looks like they might be zoning out, we do a brain gym activity (jumping jacks, hop on one foot, etc).

I may be criticized for this, but I also give treats. Sometimes just a marshmallow or two, and if it is something special, then they can choose from the treat box (which has items from the past holiday found on clearance and goody bag things.)

Positive praise goes a very long way with this age group.

I also do a lot of silly transitional things--tell me how many letters in the word ______, arrange yourself in order by your birthday, everyone in blue go to your desk, etc. They like jokes also. Tell them a joke at the beginning of the day, but don't tell them the answer till the end of the day. I tell mine that if no one moves a clip they will get the answer at the end of the day. They love this.

Good luck!

5. vjcdncr

vjcdncr Rookie

Feb 18, 2008

Thank you so much! I will definitely try them out, and see what happens. It is really good advice! Thank you!