I need some advice...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MissWull, Feb 8, 2011.

1. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Feb 8, 2011

...concerning my professional life! I have been working at a college for the past 5 1/2 years, and the campus I work on is one of the smaller branches; so there aren't openings here as often as one would like. In my current department there is no chance of moving up, unless I want to be a librarian and I don't.

I just found out that someone in another dept. at my campus (OC) is leaving, but the position has been promised to another person in the same dept. but at a different campus (LA).

Here is where the problem comes up. Even though the opening is on my campus, a woman from LA will be filling it...leaving an opening in LA. I live about 2-2 1/2 hours (with traffic) from LA. The campus I'm at now is about 30 minutes away with no traffic, about an hour with it.

Pros:
    1. I'd make about $10-12K more at the new position
    2. It'd be a new challenge (I'm bored at my current position)
    3. Free trip! (This dept. gets a paid annual trip)

Cons:
    1. Have to take/rely on the train
    2. Work later hours
    3. Not as flexible of a schedule
    4. Further from home
    5. Working with my MIL

Obviously the money is the big push here. Taking the train would be a huge adjustment for me as I've always had my car and have been in control of where I could go and when. Working with my MIL wouldn't always be bad, and our relationship is just fine. But working in the same dept day after day could wear on it.

Another option would be...to stay in my current position and just get a PT job.

Also, I've always told myself when I get a new job...if I could help it...I'd like to be closer to home. Knowing I want a baby, it would only make sense and make things easier. But now with this job...I'd be going A LOT further away...

My husband and I are trying to bulk up our savings and would like to have a baby in the next year or so...hence the reason to make more money. I just don't know what to do! :help:

Sorry it's so long...and I hope I made sense!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 8, 2011

Are you sure there will be an opening in LA? Lots of schools are surviving the budget cuts by not filling vacant positions.

4. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Feb 8, 2011

Oh yes, for sure. We're a private college and have actually had no major changes considering the state of the economy, other than a few budgets that were cut a bit.

My MIL actually told me her boss was looking for someone in LA...and they always take referrals/current employee interest first.

5. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Feb 8, 2011

To me, the commute time is the deal breaker. Bringing home an extra few thousand, after taxes and commute expenses, is not worth the wearing down you go through with the commute. I would say get a second job near your home. You might end up being gone the same number of hours, but earning the whole time instead of commuting so long.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 8, 2011

On the other hand, if one's going to have a long commute, the train is the way to have it.

Miss Wull, would this be Metrolink or Amtrak?

7. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Feb 8, 2011

Miss Wull, if you know of any librarian positions, please let me know--my close friend is looking.

8. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Feb 8, 2011

I would be taking Metrolink. Here is a sample schedule...

Leave my house at 5:30am...

5:45ish am arrive at Metrolink, takes 1 hour 20 mins to get to next station

7:15ish am arrive at the train station to catch subway

7:30ish am arrive 2 blocks from work in downtown LA, walk to work

That's just getting there in the morning, I haven't researched into coming back home. One thing I'm worried about is getting off work 2 days a week at 6pm and walking those 2 blocks to the subway...

I need to talk it over with my husband. But I wanted to get some outside insight as well. I'm just torn, but need to make a decision asap before the position is gone. In brief conversation my husband suggested to at least interview and then finally decide if I get offered the position...but if I don't want to do the commute...why bother? Sooooo gotta figure things out!

9. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Feb 8, 2011

Mrs. K...will do! We have 4 campuses within our college, and as of right now no one is leaving anytime soon. But I will let you know. Two of my good friends also work in the public library system.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 8, 2011

A 2 1/2 hour commute is going to be HELL. I could be 2 states way in that time:eek:.

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 8, 2011

I personally would not do it based on the commute. You will be adding extra hours to your day. By the end of the week, you will be tired from all the traveling. At that rate, I would just get a 2nd job. You will have already added about an extra 12.5 hours to your work week anyway with the new job and its traveling time. Just go for a 2nd job. I think it makes better sense.

12. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Feb 8, 2011

That's a very harsh schedule and a harsh commute. I think that would wear and tear anybody down.

13. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Feb 8, 2011

Your commute is going to seem really long once you are pregnant and if you are planning on going back to work after you have your baby, you will absolutely hate the extra "off work" time that it is taking away from you and your baby.

14. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Feb 9, 2011

I'm having a really hard time with my 45-50 minute commute. I would never be able to handle over 2 hours.

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 9, 2011

I wouldn't do it either, those would be some brutal days! :dizzy: The money's not worth it & like someone pointed out, if you're planning to have a baby soon, you sure wouldn't want this commute & long hours with a baby back at home.

16. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 9, 2011

I agree with the others that the commute isn't worth the extra money, especially if you are pregnant. You would leave home at 5:45 am and not get home some days until about 8:00 at night. That stress is not good for your growing baby.
    Also, no one ever has enough money to have a baby. You just deal with it.
    Good luck with your decision.

17. CandorWit

CandorWit Rookie

Feb 9, 2011

Do you still plan on working after you and your husband start a family? If so, you definitely don't want a long commute. It will be hard enough to work a full day away from baby. Adding additional drive time can make things much worse.
    I had PPD after baby # 1 and about went nuts when I got stuck in traffic after work. You will want to consider both the short term and long term effects of your decision.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 9, 2011

Commuting by train, I will say again, is a somewhat different proposition: one can sleep or read or work en route.

19. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Feb 9, 2011

Thank you all for your viewpoints! It really did help me. My husband and I also talked last night and we value our time we have together, more than we would that money. I know it's a train and I could sleep/read etc while riding it...but still, it's the waking up really really early, make sure to catch all the right trains at the right times...it's just too much.

20. CandorWit

CandorWit Rookie

Feb 10, 2011

I couldn't agree with this more. There is nothing more valuable than time with the ones you love most! :love:

21. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Feb 10, 2011

The commute would have added a minimum of 20 hours to your work week and probably closer to 25. Like everyone else said, you would be better off just taking a PT job for 16-24 hours per week instead. Plus, you could possibly stretch those extra hours over the weekend so you aren't killing yourself during the week.

Working 7-14+ days in a row can be rough (I currently work an extra job on the weekends), but it is a LOT better than working 12-16 hours per day during the week. At least I have time to rest in between jobs.

22. Misty0822

Misty0822 New Member

Feb 11, 2011

Miss Wull,

I enjoyed reading your post and think that it is great for you to seek out advice.

For me, the cons far out weigh the pros. Also, for me personally, money is not more important than my sanity, my time, and how my family life will be affected once I am working further away from home.

Hope this helps.

Warmly Regards,