I need some advice. Thank you!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by myownwoman, Feb 14, 2012.

1. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Feb 14, 2012

I am currently working as a sub for a child care center. I got hired in January and have been working pretty regularly. I am liked by a few centers (so far) and am requested instead of other subs. What I need advice on is I have an interview tomorrow for an assistant preschool teacher position. In the email the director mentioned she liked my education/experience in filling the position. The position is P/T only.

Do I go to the interview (the director hopes to hire someone immediately) or continue subbing until I can work full time? The center I am currently working in is great in terms of salary, benefits, and advancement opportunities. I would like to someday work as a director of a center.

I only have a few more classes until I am highly qualified. Meaning in CA once I have 12 ECE Semester units I am qualified to teach preschool.

Thanks in advance! :)

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Feb 14, 2012

Okay - don't take this personally, but no one with 12 units is "highly" qualified to teach. 12 units is the bare minimum you need to be left alone with children and it is ridiculous (!!!!!) that it is so low. At the 2 schools I work at, one requires a bachelors and the other requires 32 units in child development to be a teacher. If you want to work for a better school and be paid a decent wage, you will need a lot more education.

No one can tell you what is right because it varies so much. Some schools hire their subs if they like them, some don't because they want them to stay subs. Some part time jobs work into full time, some don't. Whatever you can do to gain experience and get more education will improve your chances of being hired and being competent.

Good luck.

4. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Feb 14, 2012

Hey no offense taken. I appreciate your advice so thank you. I do have a BA degree and I will be qualified for a Child Development Permit. As a Site Supervisor. Once I have taken 12 ECE classes as well as the Practicum.

5. SamIAm

SamIAm Companion

Feb 14, 2012

Would I take a part-time position hoping it would turn into full time? No! The likelihood of that happening is pretty small. However, if you think working part-time while you go to school would be beneficial for you, then go for it.

However, if you're subbing at a few schools, and they like you, my advice would be to finish getting the certification you need while you sub. You will have more centers that know you and are willing to hire you, not to mention you will know which ones you would like to work at. If all else fails, you will have a number of professional references to help you get that full-time job.

Good luck :)

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 14, 2012

It really depends on the situation. Would you make more subbing than working part-time? Do you need the money or the experience? Also what does part-time look like: a few hours a day or a few days a week? It may allow you the opportunity to still sub...