I need some advice..please help!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ImacTeacher, Jul 6, 2009.

1. ImacTeacher

ImacTeacher New Member

Jul 6, 2009

Hey! So, I live in Sacramento, CA and graduated with my BS in 2007 and then received my multiple subject credential in 2008. I have been subbing since and have become very well known in the districts I have subbed in. While I was subbing I took enough math classes to receive my NCLB in math, hoping that this help me become more marketable for the hard job market. I am ready to move anywhere in the USA as long as I would have a public teaching job. Does anyone know what state is hiring for elementary teachers or middle school math teachers? Please let me know. I have been looking like crazy, but I have not had any luck. Also, are non-clear CA teaching credentials transferable to other USA states? Please let me know, any information is appreciated. Thank you!!

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 6, 2009

There are some middle school math jobs in ME. And my district is hiring a kindergarten teacher.

www.servingschools.com

4. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Jul 6, 2009

I'm in CA moving to Texas, you have to pass their tests to be certified. They don't take ours. I thought they were easier then ours, but they are expensive, and you have to take them.

5. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 6, 2009

With your certification, it depends on the state. I got my first teaching license in Tennessee and then applied for a license in Ohio. I had to take 2 extra PRAXIS tests for Ohio to get certified in two subjects. Of course, I also had to send transcripts, a copy of my TN license, etc. When applying for New Mexico license, all I had to do was send transcripts and a copy of my Ohio and TN license. NM does not use the PRAXIS series, but I was not required to take any additional tests. My point: it varies based on the state.

6. Katisop99

Katisop99 Rookie

Jul 6, 2009

With a CA teaching credential you can teach in Oregon and Washington without having to do anything.

Are jobs difficult to find a job in Sac? I've noticed a lot of openings in charter schools there, but perhaps the market is flooded.

Good luck!

7. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2009

That's good to know Katisop99! And I remember postings about Nevada and Nebraska having a lot of openings. Check the state's dept. of education websites. Good luck!!

8. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 7, 2009

Yes, it varies. I took the Texes Generalist and Texes PPR and they were expensive, plus you had to pay the state department to first look over your credentials, then, I paid to take the tests, then I paid for fingerprinting, then I paid to get my one year certificate (which I found out was not good enough) and then, finally I had to pay AGAIN, to get them to look over my test scores so that I can get my full Texas teaching certificate. And none of this happens quickly. The one thing that IS quick in Texas is taking the test and getting your scores returned quickly. Take the computer tests. There are lots of locations and you get your results quickly. Do study beforehand. They were not a cake walk if you have not had Texas history. I would review the other subjects too. Best of luck. They are still hiring down my way in Texas. Teachers are just about at the point where they have to resign if they want to get out of their contracts, so there will be more jobs. This week should be the deadline, I am thinking even though they have until mid July. It will get sticky after that.:) All the best!