I need some advice. I don't know who to turn to. Please help?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by pinkcupcake90, Jun 22, 2015.

1. pinkcupcake90

pinkcupcake90 Companion

Jun 22, 2015

Hi, everybody.

Please forgive me, I know I have posted something similar to this before. I'm a bit scared and worried, and it would mean the world to me if you could help me with my career change.

I got my master's in English literature, and I am now a certified teacher through alternate route. I have my CE (Certificate of Eligibility) in English.

The NJ Dept of Ed website says that I need to secure employment before moving to the next phase of licensing.

I got hired by this company called "Source 4 Teachers." They need some substitute teachers, and I figured this would be a good way for me to gain some teaching experience, something that my resume lacks.

But I don't know if I should get my MAT (Master of Arts in Teaching) or what I should do. I just want to be an English teacher. I'm so lost and I've been crying myself to sleep at night because I don't know if I'm doing the right thing by accepting this job.

Please help?

3. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 22, 2015

In NJ, your CE allows you to be hired as an alt route candidate. If you secure a position, you will need to go back to school and complete the certification coursework while teaching for at least a year in order to be issued a standard certificate. However, I will warn you that there is a lot of competition for English teaching positions and it will be harder for you as an alt route candidate with no student teaching or any teaching experience.

If I were you, I'd enroll in a post-bacc cert program and get my CEAS. You'll be a much more competitive candidate. You don't need your MAT right now and you can still look for teaching positions while you complete the coursework and praxis since you have a CE.

Good luck.

4. pinkcupcake90

pinkcupcake90 Companion

Jun 22, 2015

What schools offer the post-bacc cert program?

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2015

Districts utilize Source 4 Teachers, or outsource to them, in an attempt to simplify their lives, and hopefully save money by no longer needing to have their own person on staff to call and procure substitute teachers. You work as little or as much as you desire, since the available jobs are visible online. For the most part, it is first come, first served.

In my experience, when Source 4 Teachers offers a long term sub job, you make very little more money than if you simply worked for a different school every day. You will have the chance to impress with your skills, the positive, but you could do that if you subbed in a district that calls their own subs instead of outsourcing.

You can, at any time, simply stop subbing for Source 4 Teachers without penalty, so if you are able to get a position such as a leave replacement or a full time job, you can walk away from Source 4 Teachers without concerns.

The question about the MAT is actually a completely different matter that doesn't involve working/subbing for Source 4 Teachers. You have your CE, which means that you have enough credits (30+), in logical sequence, to be eligible to take the Praxis II exam, which it sounds like you accomplished.

AR has different progression paths and you have to choose which path you want to follow at this point. For example, some people will earn the MAT, paying the university for classes at about $2500-$2800/3 hour course, so roughly 10 times that number, taking about a year if you attend full time, maybe more. The second route involves New Pathways to Teaching, affiliated with the community colleges, as well as a university for graduate credit, should you so desire. This will require you to find employment to move forward in the program. The third route is the program that is affiliated with Rutgers, CESP. Both the second and third routes will involve you working full time while taking classes in the evenings to complete your required coursework.

If you go for the MAT, you will spend time student teaching, which will turn your CE into a CEAS. Some people will take a strong academic background and work in a charter school for a year or two, completing their AR coursework while employed. Since there are two different certificates in NJ, you will want to meet the criteria and pursue the certificate for public schools, since the one earned exclusively for charters will keep you in charters. You can pursue the public school certificate while working at a charter.

What you do will depend a great deal on how much money you have to spend on tuition, how fast you want to get from point A to point B, and how much persistence you have. A slightly different approach might be to take the course work to become qualified to teach ESL. It would be a good match with your background. In NJ, since you don't have a teaching certificate, you would take 21 hours, and 3 of those would be a full semester that is student teaching. That would be less costly than the MAT, would get you the CEAS as opposed to a CE, and give you a teachable subject. In NJ, when your provisional teaching is completed, all of the certificates you hold become standard as well.

You could still sub, making some money, while taking courses, most of which are in the evenings. You could also still seek out jobs in English, just in case.

Hope this helps.