I Need Movement Activities!... and yoga for kids?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Miss Kirby, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Oct 12, 2006

My kids need to MOVE! They are CONSTANTLY asking to use the restroom and go to the nurse and I think it is merely because they need movement. Any ideas for quick, easy movement activities we can do through out the day??

I'm thinking about buying a Yoga for Kids book..... this is a different question, but does anyone here do it in their classrooms?

Thank you!!!

3. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Oct 12, 2006

Oh, I never thought about that. I'd like to hear if others use it and how.

4. herins

herins Companion

Oct 12, 2006

I made a cd of wiggle songs so we can get up and dance when they need a break.

5. jd019

jd019 Companion

Oct 13, 2006

Go to google and look up Brain Gym. I never used it but I have heard awesome things about it from lots of teachers and educators.

6. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 13, 2006

I just got some CDs from www.learningstation.com -- Literacy in Motion and a couple of others. The songs are great. I use them for quick dance breaks. I will also have them stand up for 2 min. of Simon Says at their desks, or have them run in place, touch toes, etc. for 2 min., then back to work.

I would be sure to check with parents before doing yoga - some parents have strong feelings about yoga and don't want their kids doing it. We do some relaxing breathing at the end of our running in place, etc., but it isn't yoga.

7. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Oct 14, 2006

I 2nd Brain Gym!

8. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2006

I do Kids Yoga with my class. THEY LOVE IT!!! There is a deck of Kids Yoga cards on Amazon that are great. We had to talk about space etc before we started but we now have 3 moves that we do to relax and get some energy out. They are not moves that they can hurt themselves on... But it is very helpful to wiggly kids.

9. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Oct 15, 2006

learning station CD's are great. also look at stephen fite , greg and steve, and mr. al CD's. iam a PE teacher that primarily leads K-2nd and i use CD's like these for a warmup to get the kids focused and ready to go.

10. 101dalmatian

101dalmatian Companion

Oct 15, 2006

Silly sports and goofy games by Kaagan gives great quick brain break ideas.