I need magnets that will hold up a poster pad

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by BioAngel, Aug 1, 2012.

1. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 1, 2012

Any suggestions?

I was thinking of getting an easel, but with having a brand new classroom this year I don't know what "extras" I'm allowed to have in the classroom-- so I'm thinking strong magnets might work well.

I'd rather go with something that teachers have tested out and say work-- I need something that will hold up the whole poster pad- not just one piece (I write neater when there's paper underneath the page I'm writing on).

Please help! :)

3. BioAngel

Aug 1, 2012

Oh and I'm suppose to have a whiteboard so I need something that won't scratch the heck out of the board if they slide.

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 1, 2012

I couldn't find strong enough magnets. Our custodian was able to put hooks in the metal right above the spot on my whiteboard where I wanted to hang the easel paper.

Good luck!

5. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2012

To elaborate upon Missy's post, have you tried Command Hooks?

6. BioAngel

Aug 1, 2012

@ Missy~ The hooks above the whiteboard would be too high for me to comfortable write-- and too high for some of my students to write on the paper.

@ Waterfall~ I can't stick anything permanently onto the walls. I'm afraid to even put Command stickies on-- they pulled off the old paint while I was packing up my classroom. My P would be really upset if I took off any paint from the walls.

Thanks for the suggestions though!! :)

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 1, 2012

8. tgim

tgim Habitué

Aug 1, 2012

Could you use hooks and then use some cute ribbon to make your pad lower?

9. janney

janney Cohort

Aug 1, 2012

I use these hooks http://www.mardel.com/ceiling-hook-magnets.aspx They look pretty much the same as the ones that Pigeon recommended. They are very strong magnets. I never had any problem with the pad sliding or moving when I was writing. They haven't left any marks on the board. They probably would leave marks if you slide them to move them instead of pulling them off first though since they are magnets.

10. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 2, 2012

3M hooks will work. I used these on my white board for the last 2 years with no problem taking them off.

11. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2012

I found really strong magnets at a little mom and pop hardware store.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2012

I can't believe 3M Command Strips pulled off paint! I have used those on every surface in the house and school with success and perfectly clean releases. I'm kind of obsessed. :)

13. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 2, 2012

I believe those are the same hooks (same company), but the less strong version. The white ones come in a 5-pack, and the colored ones come in a 4-pack. (Can you tell I work at a teacher store? :))

14. BioAngel

Aug 2, 2012

The classroom was last painted about 20 years ago and what they've been doing is just putting extra layers of the same color on if they needed to freshen up the room. So when it pulled off it was more of a bendable sheet of paint that was pretty thick-- I've never seen that before (maybe it was a latex type of paint?). Plus it didn't seem to adhere well to the other paint below it (the original color of the classroom) so maybe that's why the command strips did pull of paint.

Trust me-- I love 3M products and I was shocked when I saw that happening. lol