I need ideas for Incentive party.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by zoey'smom, Nov 26, 2009.

1. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Nov 26, 2009

Every month we have an Incentive party for good behavior. We do some kind of activity and have a snack. Each teacher takes a month and plans the activities. Our Parents help with the snacks. We are a k-3 building and we only have about 65 students. Most of the kids are well behaved, but occasionally we have a couple that have to watch and not participate.
    Yesterday was our November Incentive party. Our Second grade teacher had everyone make Christmas decorations for the local nursing home. Usually in December we go to the nursing home and sing Christmas carols and have hot chocolate, but we were told with all the flu we can't go this year. So the second grade teacher had us make 4 different decorations to hang on the residents doors and the dining area. I thought it was such a good idea. She also had three Thanksgiving themed games in the gym going on then we would switch as we got done with the craft. Then we all had a snack, popcorn and juice.
    The teachers I work with are so creative. I on the other hand am not very creative. I want to come up with a great idea for when it is my turn to do the incentive party. My turn is in March, but we will celebrating the first week of April. The party usually lasts about an hour and we have to have time for a snack. I know I still have time, but I at least want to have an idea and start collecting anything I may need. Plus I am a well known Procrastinator. I don't want to put it together last minute. Can anyone help with a theme or ideas for my Incentive party? I know there are a lot of creative people out there. Here is a list of what has been done this year and what will be done as far as I know.

Cowboy theme/camp out theme-
    carnival game theme
    Christmas craft/ thanksgiving games
    Movie-
    Scavenger hunt
    board games-
    "Survivor" -We split into teams or tribes and compete against each other like on Survivor. It is the favorite of the kids and teachers.

Last year in January I did a football theme. Any help or suggestions would be great.:)

3. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Nov 26, 2009

beach party?
    play volleyball with a beach ball,
    design mini sand castles
    lay out towels and hear a fun summer themed read aloud

4. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Nov 27, 2009

I love it!!! A teacher last year did something similar. It wasn't a beach party but it was a summer theme. She had one group do the limbo and then she had three other stations.

I am interested in the mini sand castles. How would you do it?

Does anyone have anymore ideas for another theme or could add to this one?

5. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Nov 27, 2009

How about a snowman theme? You could make snowman treats, watch Frosty, and then go outside and make snowmen. Wait, where do you live, is there going to be snow? :)

6. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Nov 27, 2009

I live in Illinois about 2 hours south of Chicago. We do get snow from anywhere from now until March. We even had an ice storm in early April one year. I do like your idea. I am going to let the person in charge of December or January know. Usually in December we do the caroling at the nursing home. This year we have to cancel. So the Snowman theme would be great, if it would snow. My incentive party will be for March and celebrated the first Friday in April. I think we will be tired of snow by then, and hopefully there will be no snow. lol.

7. tgim

tgim Habitué

Nov 27, 2009

April Fool's Day comes to mind - teach magic tricks, have AF snacks (Family Fun magazine usually has loads that look like one food but are really another)...just checked the calendar and 4/1 is Thursday, 4/2 is Good Friday.

I do like the beach party idea - by then we are all ready for spring, so you could call it a Spring Fling. If you were the first week of March you could do a Dr. Seuss B'day themed celebration.

8. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Nov 27, 2009

That would be creative and something that hadn't been done yet. I would have to come up with at least 3 to 4 different activities. I like the magic trick idea. Thanks for the idea. Maybe others can help come up with some more activities. Like I said before I am not very creative.

9. tgim

tgim Habitué

Nov 27, 2009

10. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Nov 27, 2009

Ah, I see. I'm in Maine and we have snow ALL THE TIME. Actually, it hasn't snowed yet, but it's coming, I can feel it.

11. tgim

tgim Habitué

Nov 27, 2009

Halpey1 - I am sure your k'gartners can feel it coming, too! (Love your blog by the way - not to hijack this thread)

12. Katieladybug

Katieladybug Companion

Nov 27, 2009

What about Rock Star Reading - You could do
    Kareoke
    Rock band if you can get a could systems (wii, xbox, PlayStation)
    Build your own instrument
    Play musical instruments (drums, triangle, boom sticks, xylophones, piano)
    Listen to classic songs and follow along on the sheet music
    Dance party with song lyrics projected on the wall

We had this theme for March last year and the students loved it!

13. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 27, 2009

Since your turn will take place in April, I would do something relating to Spring...

*Activity: planting flowers/seeds in small pots
    *Food: picnic in the gym/outside - watermelon, lemonade stand
    *Games - watermelon seed spitting contest, sack races

14. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Nov 28, 2009

Dodge ball! This was a HUGE hit for our school.

15. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Nov 29, 2009

How about a pajama party? They can wear their jammies, bring pillows, fuzzy wuzzies, sleeping bags, and play board games, lounge around and read books, or whatever games you have available... Bingo.

16. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Mar 6, 2010

Well, It is getting closer to the incentive party. This is my idea so far. I am going to go with a gone fishing theme.

I will have five stations that last about 10-15 minutes each. The activities will be for Kindergarten-3rd grade.

Snack-gold fish crackers.

Craft- Fish suncatcher- Put blue hair gel in small zip-lock bags and have the kids spread out the gel and make waves. Then they will stick fish stickers on the outside of the bag.

I also want to do some kind of game and/or relay with a fish theme.

I had another idea too, but I can't think of it right now.

Does anyone have any other ideas to go with this theme or even a different theme?

17. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Mar 7, 2010

I remember something I loved from a fall carnival that our school used to do when I was a young'in. Rig up some kind of sheet or shower curtain. Have adult volunteers "hiding" behind it. Give the kids fishing poles (the toy plastic kind). The kids throw their fishing line over the curtain and the adult volunteers attach a small toy or candy to the fishing pole and then give it a "tug" as if a fish was on the line. Kid reels it in to receive the prize. I LOVED this as a child!

Another craft to go along with the fishing theme is using blue tempera paint and mixing it with water. Give students a white piece of paper and a straw. They dip the straw in the paint an blue soap bubbles onto it to make an underwater scene.

I bet kids would also have a blast if you cut out some fish templates on cardstock, several of a few different shapes and sizes. Then, provide glitter, construction paper scraps, string, and any other leftover craft materials (googly eyes?!) and let the kids decorate their fish. Cover a large bulletin board with blue paper and let kids attach their fish to what will become an all-school mural!

18. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 7, 2010

ohhhhhh; Glitterfish has alot of fun ideas and I, too, remember the Fishing Game at carnivals Glitterfish! It was one of my favorite games!

19. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Mar 7, 2010

20. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Mar 7, 2010

This is off topic, but how do you decide who gets to come to the party? What are the parameters fro that decision? I kind of want to do something for some of my kids who are always so good and get so little credit besides praise from me. But I don't know how to decide a fair way to go about determining who is invited. Where do you draw the line?

21. MarieClarie

MarieClarie Rookie

Mar 8, 2010

April is a great time to have an Earth Friendly Incentive Party. The children can make litter bugs, make solar ovens and heat chocolate chip cookies, plant a garden, and for their take home reward ~ a smencil (a scented pencil made from recycled newspaper)

22. MarieClarie

MarieClarie Rookie

Mar 8, 2010

HeatherY ~ that's a great question! Setting limits can be very hard but I think if you make an announcement up front and provide something visual to track their progress you can set boundaries for the children. It is never an easy process, and there will always be hurt feelings, but at least you will be up front with them. Also, if parents ask you why you made the decisions you did you can explain the process to them as well.