I need ideas for creating a scavenger hunt!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by techteacher95, Aug 14, 2008.

1. techteacher95

techteacher95 New Member

Aug 14, 2008

Hello,

I teach high school and I want to give my kids an extra credit opportunity by participating in a scavenger hunt at our local count fair.

All of the students will not have access to a camera, so does anyone have any idea how I can create this hunt?

Any and all advice appreciated. Thank you!

3. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Aug 14, 2008

Could you put them in small groups or partnerships so they can share a camera? Or you could see how many kids need a camera and buy a couple of cheapie digitals. Alternately, you could have them do an old fashioned scavenger hunt, where they have to actually bring back the objects, not take a picture.

4. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Aug 14, 2008

I think you can get throw away cameras for under $2, I would suggest pairing them up to cut down on costs.

5. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Aug 15, 2008

The chemistry teacher did a scavenger hunt where the students had to gather information. For example, how many lockers were in a certain building (and then convert to moles).

I've also seen students get signatures from people. The best I've seen was that the teacher made arrangements with a person who was going to be in a certain area (such as a booth). The students had to perform "I'm a little tea pot" and then get a signature.

Along the same lines the teacher gave a person a camera and the student had to find the person and get their picture taken with that person (Polaroid camera).

For a fair you could have them collect certain items, such as flyers or napkins from certain areas. Information is also valuable – who won such in such competition. If you time it right the students will need to show up at a certain time to get the information.

If you are willing to take a bit more time you could hide items that the students must find with clues. For example, a clue could lead to an envelope taped to the back of a trash can. The students then take out a piece of “evidence” that they found the envelope.

6. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 15, 2008

You can pair them up and give them a handout with various items on the school grounds or where ever they will be and they have so long to do the project, They can take pictures, draw it, or take the item and place it in a bag (only if it is coke cans, leaves, plant leaves etc.. It works great with my students and I have over 140.

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 16, 2008

I think the easiest thing would be to send along a note with the students to explain what they are doing, and then require signatures from the various locations.