I need ideas for an independent reading activity

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Outdoorz, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Outdoorz

Outdoorz Rookie

Mar 8, 2014

I am a student teacher in a 5th grade classroom. On Tuesday I will be interviewing with a local school district in the morning.:) This is during our Daily Four time where I take 1/4 of the students for Reader's workshop for 30 minutes. My teacher asked me to prepare something they can do on their own. We haven't had reader's workshop for some time, so there isn't anything they have been working on and could continue. I am not sure what to have them do. I thought about looking for reading passages with questions they could answer, but I have no idea where to look and that sounds incredibly boring for students. The students I have on that day are the most challenging with following directions and reading ability. I am not sure what to do.

Has anyone been in a similar situation (having to prepare something for students to do on their own)? I would love any and all suggestions.
    Thanks,

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 8, 2014

Leave a chapter from a novel they might enjoy, give them some discussion questions to think about, and then let them engage in a discussion on the chapter. Assign one of them to be a group leader to facilitate discussion, another to be the group recorder to write down what the group talks about.

If the novel is interesting enough to them, it'll work great.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 8, 2014

Readworks has good passages with comprehension questions/ written response activities. It's a free membership:

https://www.readworks.org/

5. Outdoorz

Outdoorz Rookie

Mar 8, 2014

Thanks for the suggestions. I do want to start reading a novel with my reading groups. Do you have suggestions of novels that 5th graders love?

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 8, 2014

It all depends on their reading levels. Assuming they are roughly 4th grade reading level (since you describe them as being lowest in the class for reading ability), they may like books by Andrew Clements. He tends to write humorous books about upper elementary school boys. I've used Frindle, but you really can't go wrong with anything. Lots of Roald Dahl books (Charlie and the..., Matilda, James and the Giant Peach), Bridge to Terabithia, most Louis Sachar books, The Castle in the Attic, etc.

There are lots of great choices. Just find a book wizard site and look for DRA 40 books.