I NEED HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by ahsila, Aug 20, 2006.

1. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Aug 20, 2006

I am in my first year of teaching SpEd. I am certified as a k-9 teacher, but I am on a waiver for my SpEd credential this year (taking classes to add the credential & working @ the same time.) My problem is that I am working with 6-8 graders who really can't read at all. I am trying to help them become readers, but it is so difficult. All of the "beginning reader" lessons I find are geared to younger students. I want to adapt the lessons to fit my students but I don't want them to feel like I am "dumbing down" a lesson for them. We have no curriculum set because they are at such a low level... I am basically building it as I go. Is there a site that has lessons geared toward struggling readers in intermediate grades? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3. thechangingtabl

thechangingtabl Companion

Aug 20, 2006

Hello and welcome. I am a first year teacher as well, but my grades are combined 2/3 in a self-contained classroom. Ask your ESE liaison about SRA, I heard that it is the best reading program out there. I heard it was boring, but that it has the best results. Good luck and I am sure you will get some good responses from the experienced people here.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2006

Check with your ESL teacher (if you have one); ESL materials are high-interest, low vocab--perfect for new readers. Other materials to look out for--high-interest low-vocab novels, magazines, comic books, student-written work. I'll also be new to special ed this coming year; will be running the Resource Centre for grades 4-8. I'm not too sure yet of the levels of my kids (I'm going to try to get in to look at IEPs this week), but I think my lowest grade 7 boy is at about a grade 2/3 level in reading. Should be a challenge!

5. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 23, 2006

Remedia publications has some very low level/high interest books for sports and other things like that. The books are fairly cheap too. Maybe that would help?

6. bjweyant

bjweyant Rookie

Sep 10, 2006

I teach 3rd-5th grade students who also can't read. I started using SRA Reading Mastery Plus 3 years ago. I wouldn't change for anything. It is simple to use (scripted), has a lot interaction with the students, and has worksheets to follow up each lesson. If they can't read 'at all' this is a good place to start.

I also read TO my students daily. As I read, I stop and ask questions. The students are learning to pick out information from what they hear. If noone knows the answer to my question, I go back and 'think out loud' to show them how to find the answers. Part of reading is learning comprehension strategies. This is one way to help them build them.

Don't worry about the books being too simple or childish either. As long as they are in the classroom, use what they need. THey don't have to take the books outside so that everyone can see them.

Also, there are a couple of web sites that have books that can be printed out, copied, and sent home with the students.

www.enchantedlearning.com
    www.edhelper.com
    www.ewebooks.com

Good luck!:)

7. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Sep 11, 2006

Wow!!!

Thank you all so very much for all of the wonderful suggestions! I am eagerly looking into many of the suggestions and I can't tell you how lost I would be without your help. Again, thank you!

8. TeachBD

TeachBD Rookie

Sep 12, 2006

I absolutely LOVE the SRA direct instruction. I have students in my room (6th and 7th graders) who were reading at ending 1st beginning second who after going through just one level of the SRA have made such huge gains it is unbelievable.

The students have actually made comments during lessons like "I never knew that 'ee' said /ee/ I always thought it said /eh/". I have a couple of students I am lucky enough to have 2 years in a row working with this program and I just cannot believe the gains they have made.

Go to SRA's website and check out the Direct Instruction program--I am guessing you will need Levels B1 and B2 and possibly level A if you have students who are completely non-readers. The program is designed for students who are older than 4th grade, but who are more than 2 years behind in reading levels.....It IS pricey, but I can't praise it enough....it has worked for my students in an ED/BD setting. It also helps me keep my sanity so I can focus on school appropriate and appropriate behaviors.