I need help!

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by BASUDHA MUKHERJ, May 16, 2006.

1. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

May 16, 2006

Hi,

I am Basudha Mukherjee, basically from India.
    I have done my BS in Zoology and in Education from India. I got my evaluation done here from IERF and got the equivalent US bachelor degree. Now I want to pursue my career in teaching. The first step is CBEST. I got 43 in Math section. I took comprehension and writing on 22nd April and I failed. I got 32 in reading and 26 in writing section. Now the total is 101 which is not pass. ( math 43, reading 32, writing 26)
    Inspite of I have been through the CBEST passing score in the book for several times, I don't get the total score requirement to pass. Isn't is 41 on each section? So, my math is passes---isn't it? But in this forum, I have seen lots of candidates got more than 50--- how is it possible where the total score is 50? And what about the writing part please? If I get 26, how much raw did I get then?
    I am kind of lost--please help me somebody.
    I will look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks---Basudha

3. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

May 16, 2006

Total scaled score for CBEST must be 123 or greater. Passing scaled score for each section is 41. You also pass iCBEST f you have a score in one or two sections that is less than 41 but at least 37, and your total score is at least 123.

Yes, your math score passes. It stands unless you get a higher score later. The next time you take CBEST, you do not even have to answer a single math question. You cannot lower your score. You do not have to pass all sections at the same sitting.

There are 50 questions in the reading and writing sections. Only 40 of them are scored. If you get all the scored questions correct, then you have a raw score of 40. But raw scores are not reported to you. Raw scores are converted to scaled scores between 20 and 80. The passing scaled score has been arbitrarily set at 41. Anyone who gets the number of raw points that a panel of experts considers necessary for a candidate to show at least minimal competence is given that scaled score of 41. Others get more or less depending on how well they did. But the algorithm for converting raw scores to scaled scores is not published.

The only information I have seen that gave an idea of what raw scores equate to a scaled score of 41 were in legal documents related to a law suit over CBEST. The information is posted in another thread in this forum. The one I can recall right now is that 41 on writing was equivalent to all 3s.

4. suriyan.r

suriyan.r Rookie

May 16, 2006

Hello Basudha ji,
    Firstly, you need to pass each section with at least 37. Think of this as IIT-JEE kind of pass requirement. i.e., You cant pass by getting 0s in two parts and scoring very well in the third.
    Secondly, you need a total passing score of at least 123.
    Hence, at a bare minimum, your scores could be: 37, 37, 49.
    Now, these scores are all scaled scores. Assume that there is an unexplained function which translates your raw scores to the scaled one. But, we all know that the scaled score ranges from 20 to 80.
    Please do read the other thread titled "CBEST - April 22nd", in which many knowledgable members (TG, Malcoln, error) have given their valuable insight.
    I, myself having gotten my education in India can relate to what you are undergoing. The reading comprehension and writing have a different slant. RC has to do with what the passage says. So keep your own judgement to yourself, and choose based on what is written.
    Writing, has to do with the 5 paragraph standard essay format. You can search online, and do some practice essays. Stick to the 5 paragraph, ie:
    First paragraph: main idea.
    Second, Third, Fourth: supporting idea and example.
    Fifth: Strong conclusion.

Also, if you do some research, the words that Indians most commonly use, example: "I think that ..." is to be totally avoided. The reason being they are labeled as weak statements. Do read up on the net for more examples, or check out any test prep book.
    Hope this helps.

5. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

May 16, 2006

Should I take any class for the practice OR I could borrow the book from library?
    As I got 26 in writing, is this 1 out of 4---something like that?

6. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

May 16, 2006

Thank you very much. I will ask again if I need any help. Thank you again for your proper explanation.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 16, 2006

Basudha, your post makes me suspect that you may have some difficulties with the conventions of formal written English, including verb forms, punctuation, and use of idioms. You might do well to consider a class in composition - perhaps your local community college has a class in academic writing or a writing lab.

8. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

May 16, 2006

I am working on it as well. I was looking for some online help from experienced teacher. My writing would be checked online and I would get suggestions from them;do you know this type of service please? Once I got it but those are kind of 1-1 tutoring and pretty expensive though. Besides, I have some family responsibilities and I cannot attend regular classes.
    I would look forward to hearing from you.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 16, 2006

Hm. Where in the state are you located?

10. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

May 16, 2006

I am in Fremont,California.

11. Chokita

Chokita Guest

May 17, 2006

Basudha, what you can do to improve your writing skills is write an essay and give it for reviewing to some native English-speakers (preferrably, educators, or at least, some well-educated people), ask them to point out your mistakes and give you some ideas on what idioms to use. Another good idea is just reading, reading, reading. Newspapers, magazines (especially, analytical ones), just fiction. Read also sample essays in the CBEST books and try to memorize phrases, idioms, and constructions they use! Just memorize them so you can use them in your own essay.

Well, good luck! I know it's tough for us, foreigners, to pass all these exams, but we can do it! Sooner or later!
    P.S. I'm from Russia, by the way.

12. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

May 17, 2006

Thank you very much. I really appreciate your encouragement..

Basudha

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 17, 2006

Fremont, hm? I'm not sure who's doing CBEST prep in that neck of the woods. Do bear in mind, by the way, that you may tackle just one section of CBEST at a time, and you'll still have all four hours of testing time.

Chokita's advice is good. The best way to improve one's writing is to write, and write, and write, and then write some more, and have your writing read by someone who is skilled at writing and at encouraging others to write. And the best way to improve one's reading comprehension is to practice reading and answering questions just as diligently. LearningExpress has at least one book that's just for reading comprehension practice: 501 Reading Comprehension Questions (1999, ISBN 1-57685-201-6). In addition, you may want to consider 501 Grammar and Writing Questions, 2nd ed. (2002, ISBN 1-57685-400-0). You can find both at most major bookstores - at worst, they can be ordered - or on the Internet, either from the LearningExpress Web site at http://LearnATest.com or via Amazon or http://www.powells.com.