I need help wording a negative report card comment

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Apr 2, 2013

I have a student functioning at a Pre K/K level. His mom and I have butted heads a lot. She plays the blame game with me and can be very aggressive.

With that said, I feel like I need to grin and bear it and write a negative comment about behavior this quarter. I feel like 1.) I owe it to her to hear it 2.) document for next year's teacher and 3.) document his behavior in a regular ed class because we're working to have him moved for next year into a self-contained room. I have communicated with Mom, but she doesn't support me. His behavior is out of contol. He's almost maxed out in Resource, and when he's with me my class falls apart.

He wasn't like this in 1st grade. However, this year he's received 1's in conduct from his specials teachers, so it's not just me experiencing the change.

He is misbehaving as a means to cope with the work being too difficult (by a landslide :() He is loud, aggressive (only once this quarter; I wrote him up), and has turned into the class clown. He will do anything and everything to disrupt class so he doesn't have to try and so I can't hardly teach.

How would you word this to a parent that can be just...mean?

BTW, I have him on a behavior contract that I send home nightly, so Mom is aware of some of the things going on, assuming she reads them.

3. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Apr 2, 2013

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 2, 2013

____________ exhibits behaviors which affect his learning opportunities and those of his classmates. The behaviors seem to be the result of frustration as he struggles with assignments and classroom expectations.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 2, 2013

I was going to suggest the same. "Your child" could be taken as a dig to the parent. I would also be sure to add a statement about your professional opinion regarding the reason. That is, he is using this as a tactic to avoid challenging work.

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Apr 2, 2013

I felt like this one sounded the most professional and the least confrentational, I ended up using this one. Thanks for the suggestions!

Edit:
    I ended up using this. Someone else may need something similar one day...

XXXXXX exhibits behaviors which affect his learning opportunities and those of his classmates. The behaviors seem to be the result of frustration as he struggles with assignments and classroom expectations. However, when he settles down and puts effort in, he is much more capable than he believes. I will continue XXXXXX’s daily behavior contract with him, as it does help to remind him about 2nd grade expectations.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 2, 2013

Glad to help! (I think I had lots of those kids and moms over the years.)

8. a2z

a2z Maven

Apr 2, 2013

My issue with this comment is that it isn't accurate based on what the OP wrote. This child's behavior stems from avoidance not attention seeking.

Your comments need to be more in line with the fact that the student is overwhelmed at the grade level expectations. This is being exhibited by behaviors that are not conducive to his learning or the learning of other students.

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 2, 2013

If you are looking to put him in a self-contained class next year, you may want to make a comment on how he is more able to complete his assignments in the resource room, an environment with fewer distractions and a smaller amount of students, as it allows him to receive more one-on-one attention from the teacher and he appears to be more confident in seeking assistance.

10. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Apr 2, 2013

Actually I think that's pretty accurate. He misbehaves to disrupt my lessons and as a means to "fit in" with his peers. When he gets a few good laughs for behaving inappropriately it takes the attention off him so his classmates won't know he doesn't have a clue. It's a "save face" behavior.