I need help with teaching how to write a good sentence.

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by zoey'smom, Mar 27, 2011.

1. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Mar 27, 2011

I try to model, model, and model some more, but some just don't get it. The main problem is, they are not using capital letters or end marks. I am looking for some good ideas to teach writing especially capital letters and end marks. Any ideas? What do you do during your writing time in your kindergarten class?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2011

Not sure I'd worry too much in K about this...they developmentally can't tell where one sentence ends and the next begins. Other than modeling, you might do some 'share the pen' writing during who,e group instruction time. Focus on one skill at a time. Teach them to capitalize names, the word 'I'...have the write a sentence with a friend's name in it. Have the write an 'I' sentence. Take out highlighters (they will love these!) and highlight the capitals and periods.:thumb:

4. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Mar 27, 2011

I pair them up and have them review each others writing - this is VERY powerful.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2011

Do they start the beginning of their writing with a capital letter? Do they end their writing with a punctuation mark?

6. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Mar 27, 2011

First, I'd make sure you are going one specific skill at a time. Not just capitalization, but capitalizing the first word in each sentence. Focus on just that one skill for a few days (in terms of grammar, not the only skill in all subjects!). Teach the kids some kind of self-monitoring check where they do something (e.g., pat themselves on the head, trace the smile on their face with their finger) when they check that they have done the target skill. You can then reuse this self-assessment check with new skills you teach.

7. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Mar 27, 2011

Love the highlighter idea.:). Thanks.

8. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Mar 27, 2011

No, most of the time their writing has no capital letters and no periods. Then when I say, don't forget your end marks I get a period at the end of each line.:eek:

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2011

Yes, and the highlighter could add to this. Students love to highlight and might add more marks than necessary so that they can highlight more.

I would start with expecting at least one capital letter to start writing and one period to end writing. Maybe give the students a checklist:
    Does your writing start with a capital letter?
    Does your writing end with a period?

Then you can expand this for students who are ready for more!

10. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Mar 27, 2011

I love this idea. I think the self-monitoring check would work. Thanks

11. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Mar 27, 2011

You could also try red light, green light.

After a child writes a sentence have them go back and look at their sentence. They need to cirlce the capital letter at the beginning of the sentence green (for "go") and then circle the punctuation mark at the end of the sentence red ( for stop). If they don't have a green and red circle then they need to go back and fix something up.

Sometimes I walk around and do the circling or I have a them work with a partner to circle.

Overall, I don't worry about these skills too much. Yes, I certainly hope I see capital letters and punctuation marks, but as long as they are writing where it is readable I am happy. Sometimes red light/green light works and sometimes they just start circling letters regardless of whether or not they are capital or not.

12. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Mar 27, 2011

I like!