I need help with students lining up

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by jayfish, Feb 18, 2006.

1. jayfish

jayfish New Member

Feb 18, 2006

Hello!
    I have just starting working as a preschool teacher to 4 year olds.
    Although I have a pretty good class at times.
    I have a problem getting them to line up and behave, we miss alot of activities because they can't behave in line.
    I had tried the boy, girl that really doesn't work because I have more boys than girls. I have tried having them put their fingers in their pockets to keep from touching each other, forget that.
    To keep them from talking I have told them to act like they have a bubble in their mouth and if they talk they will pop it, that doesn't work either.
    I am thinking of trying to give them stickers for good behavior while in line,,, was just wondering if any of you think that would be a good idea.
    I am open to any and all suggestions, Thanks! Jay

3. Suzidc

Suzidc Rookie

Feb 18, 2006

I am head start teacher/ director. We were having problems lining up also at the begining of the year. What we have done that seems to work for this years kids is we put different colored feet on the floor where they line up, I can tell them as I excuse them from circle to get their coat and go to the red feet, the next child I will tell to go to the blue feet and so on, for them it is more concrete then saying line up behind so and so. We do not walk very far in line but when we do go for a walk around the neighborhood we use a rope with hand holds we tied into it at regular intervals, we alternate the children standing on the sides of the rope, before we just had a rope with knots tied in it then we have a teacher in the front and another in the back. This seems to really work to keep them in line and not touching eachother.
    a quick thing to do is have your line leader choose a action to get you where you are going like lets all be an airplane, or lets be a train, fish ect
    Remember though at this age it is not so much misbehaving it is that they have not learned the appropriate bahaviors. they need to know what is expected and then to have consistency and it is better to reinforce good behaviors then to punish bad ones.

4. pinklady

pinklady New Member

Feb 18, 2006

I teach 4/5 yr olds. I have them do different things each day. Like if we are studying dinosaurs they walk like a dino and hold an egg in their mouth. I tell them they can't drop the egg or it might break. Or if we talked about monkeys I would have them walk down the hall like a monkey. Also I've had them chew gum instead of holding a bubble b/c mine like to pop thier bubbles. If you give them something to do besides ducktails it seems to work better. Hope this helps!

5. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

Feb 18, 2006

I have my kids line up "hips and lips". One hand on their hip and one finger on their lips. This keeps their hands busy and gives them a reminder about not talking (so much). The kids like this and it works well for short periods. My co-teacher tries the bubbles in their mouth too and it doesn't work very well.

6. jlkcek101504

jlkcek101504 Rookie

Feb 18, 2006

Yes I was having trouble with my kids in line and I just started "hips and lips" to and so far so good. I also agree with Suzidc they need to be "taught" how to stand in line. However my 3 year olds have really picked up on hips and lips.

7. jayfish

jayfish New Member

Feb 18, 2006

Thank you all for your wonderful ideas. I can't wait to try them.
    Hopefully when their classroom teacher comes back from maternity leave she will see a difference and be proud of her students.

Thanks again,,, Jay

8. mccwen

mccwen Comrade

Feb 19, 2006

"Hips and Lips" that's cute.

I do "peace" & "quiet" - once in line the kids use one hand to give the peace sign and the other hand over their mouths! It works pretty well, especially if I model it as we go down the hall and then complement the ones who are doing it.

9. amethyst

amethyst Companion

Feb 19, 2006

One thing we used to do when I taught preschool, was have them line up against a wall or counter, so at least they were in a line (especially if it took a long time to line up- if we were going going outside or something like that and would have to wait for kids to ge their jackets on and have their shoes tied and things like that)- that helped A LOT!!!!

I also a Kindergarten teacher at the public school I'm at now, walk her class down the hall with them holding on to each other's backpacks (that they were wearing), but I thought that looked kind of dangerous.

Anyway, good luck! I would love to be back teaching preschool right now :)

10. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Feb 19, 2006

If your school doesn't mind noise in the hallway this might work: In a school I worked in, when the preschool classes walked down the preschool hallway, and they could make noise, and on the steps where they could definately make noise, we used to sing "Please touch the pink wall, (3X) the pink wall" (tto the farmer in the dell) and change the color as needed. They never touched each other, and they were so busy singing softly that they didn't talk to each other either. Of course, this only works if it's okay to make noise in the hallway and it won't disturb anyone else;)

11. mccwen

mccwen Comrade

Feb 21, 2006

LOL!! I can just picture a 10 kindergartener pile-up in the hall!!

12. Tambra44

Tambra44 Rookie

Feb 21, 2006

One of the k teachers I worked with had a song:

My hands are at my sides
    I'm standing nice and tall
    My feet are facing straight ahead
    I'm ready for the hall

(To farmer and the Dell )sp

13. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Feb 22, 2006

I like that song, but how often do they sing it, and do they stay like that when they're already in the hall?

14. jayfish

jayfish New Member

Feb 22, 2006

Thanks for the wonderful replies. I was just wondering if these ideas would work with 3 year olds?
    I will definate try the song and I like the peace and quiet one too I will have to tell the 3 year old teachers, they do the hips and lips but that doesn't last long.
    The 3 year olds go to the restroom where the toddlers are and sometimes get louder than they should while waiting for their class to finish in the restroom,the teachers have the boys or girls sit in the hall while the other is in the restroom. The teachers have tried everything and would love to do something new. I told them about this site and I would try and get some good ideas from the wonderful people who respond,,, so if you have any ideas I can pass along to them I would be very greatful.
    Thanks again,,, Jay

15. kidsalot

kidsalot Comrade

Feb 22, 2006

We do a similiar song Instead of my hands are at my side we sing I give myself a hug . The only thing is I need to remind them to not only sing the words but do what they say also!

16. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 22, 2006

I don't line my kids up. We all leave at the same time as a group and they all just line themselves up as they leave! It's pretty funny to see the teachers struggling with lining their kids up and we have no problem. It just seems to happen naturally! When we are ready to leave, I say, "Let's go!" and away we all go! There is no fighting over who is leader this way either.

17. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Feb 22, 2006

This is the first year I've done "bubble mouths" with my kids and it works GREAT. I also say, "Put your hands on your hips and your lips are zipped." We love to play "shh! the baby's sleeping." When I taught younger 3's I actually wrapped up my arm in a blanket and cradled it with my other arm. They never knew it was my arm. Now that I have 3-5's, it's just a game but they still have fun tiptoeing around. Sometimes we act like something, sometimes we move a certain way.

I'm kinda goofy, so I've also told them we're models. I demonstrate putting on my "new" model clothes. Then I walk with attitude, and I explain models NEVER talk while on the runway. Then we all put on our fancy clothes and line up. I stop the line a couple times to say, "Strike a pose!" a la Madonna.

18. MissR

MissR Comrade

Feb 22, 2006

My advice would be to limit lines as much as possible. When we are preparing to go outside they get their coats and go to the book corner and they get their coats on and wait for the others. Most times where waiting is an issue, trying to keep them in a line does not work well in my experience. When we must be in a line because we are leaving, sometimes we pretend we are sneaking out and try to be quiet so "So and So" doesn't know we are there. Sometimes they like marching like soldiers or tip-toeing.

19. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Feb 24, 2006

All my kids have a symbol or sign. I have these on the floor so they know where to stand when they line up. The "Happy Face" is the first symbol--whoever is the helper of the day stands there.

20. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Feb 24, 2006

I tried the "peace and quiet" thing today with just two pre-k tutees.. it sort of backlashed on me! lol

They liked doing it before we went out of the room, but as soon as we got out they seemed to thinks they were Indians and started patting their mouths doing the ayayayayay thing and just jetted down the hall! It was a disaster lol..

21. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Feb 26, 2006

On Friday I tried the "don't wake up the baby" idea with the class I'm substituting in, and they just laughed hysterically all the way from the computer room back to the class...oh well, it was worth a try!

22. Myname

Myname Comrade

Feb 26, 2006

I tried the hips and lips and what a hoot the girls are with that. it worked for a while. When my class was smaller BUBBLES worked the best. They all looked so cute with all their cheeks puffed out.

23. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Feb 27, 2006

Today we pretended to be princesses. On the way to lunch, it worked all the way down the hall, but they started yelling to hear their echoes on the steps (we'll call it a productive science experiment, right?) On the way back, we were ok until the steps, and after the steps, just not on them. We'll get there before this job is over!

24. JulieC

JulieC Rookie

Feb 28, 2006

WE line up in a train and sing "Down by the station" as we march out to play or to go home. The classroom assistant gets to lead the line and take the "tickets"

25. tina007

tina007 Rookie

Mar 1, 2006

Our school requires hall hands, but I allow anything that keeps their hands from swinging and touching the wall. Most of the time my boys put their hands in their pockets. I carry around a ring of index cards with their names on it and some small stickers. If they get praise for hall behavior they get a sticker. They are trying to get 10 on their card for an extra trip to the treasure box. I also use those cards on days when they are extra rowdy in class and I'm trying to have a lesson. They usually settle down and listen.

26. star9305

star9305 Rookie

Mar 2, 2006

With my older class (5-6 year olds) I tell them that they are mice and that their is a cat in the hall. The cat is sleeping and we have to be careful not to wake him. They eat it up and remind each other not to talk because they might wake up the cat. I also use the wording "make a kindergarten" line for my older students. They love when they get a compliment on how they look like they are in kindergarten . My younger class (3-4 year olds) we make a holding hands train or (yes, it works and so far this year none of my students have hurt each other) a holding backpacks train. When we are in the holding hands train we sing "Little Red Caboose"

27. smileyd

smileyd Comrade

Mar 3, 2006

Several years ago when I was teaching primary aged sunday school, I used to ask the kids to be as quiet as hammy hamster and martha mouse. Does anyone remember that show?

Today when I substitute for grade primary to two, I tell the kids to be quiet as cheese. Yes you read that right. I tell the kids that all the other teachers, the janitor and the secretary in the school are the mice, and if the hear us make any noise on the way down the hall, they'll come eat us. They get a kick out of this. They try not to become the stinky cheese that gets the class noticed.

28. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Mar 5, 2006

I love the mice idea! Being princesses is not working anymore with the class I'm subbing in...I think the class "queen" decided it wasn't fun, and got the rest of the class to stop behaving...they all follow her lead! Any ideas how to get her to stop?

29. KimberlyBest

KimberlyBest Comrade

Mar 5, 2006

If you figure this one out the rest of us would sure like the solution. It's amazing how much "follow the leader" goes on at such a young age! :eek:

30. MissR

MissR Comrade

Mar 5, 2006

Maybe give the class "queen" a job or make her the line leader or something so she feels responsible. Or let her decide what to pretend to be. Although it would be unfair to let her be in charge of it EVERY time, she might just need a little responsibility in order to feel in control.

31. sjohnsmor

sjohnsmor Rookie

Mar 5, 2006

What I usually do with my kids is a song. But I think every group situation is different.

We sing:

"Open, shut them
    Open, shut them (as we open and shut our hands/fingers),
    give a little clap,clap,clap. (clap hands 3x's)

Open, shut them
    open shut them (open and shut hands/fingers),
    lay them in your lap,lap,lap." (Hit hands to knees 3x's)

And then I have them sit on the "gold line" a line that seperates my room from the carpet. It seems to work well for us, but again, I think every sitution is different.

I really like the lips and hips. I might just try that for fun! lol
    I hope you find something that works!

32. srh

srh Devotee

Mar 5, 2006

On the "queen" issue--I would use it to my advantage, and make her the FIRST "head cheese." Okay, that's just sounds too dorky. But you now what I mean. Then that opens up the door for new leaders...

As a variation on the "Open Shut Them," (and I teach K), my kids love when I jazz it up, going really fast, then slowing down just in time to put hands in the lap. When I'm saying it fast, I also flail my arms around a bit, and they like trying to keep up! It breaks up what can become a monotonous rhyme otherwise!

33. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Mar 5, 2006

Have you tried asking her if she has any ideas on how to be quiet? Maybe you could take her aside and ask so that she's involved without showing the class you're asking.

34. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Mar 6, 2006

Today went a little better...I think she just gets bored of things very quickly. Today, we were mice on the way down to lunch, and she was fine, on the way up, she was yelling. It's like that with everything...being good is just boring! It's always the same thing again and again. Misbehaving, on the other hand, is alot more fun-one day we can yell on the stairs, one day between the door and the sink, one day in the upstairs hallway...the possibilities are endless!
    I guess I just have to have enough ideas to have a variety every day...

35. smileyd

smileyd Comrade

Mar 6, 2006

Maybe to encourage her and other students to behave, you could ask the principal and other teachers to pop their head in the class to compliment the class on their exemplary behavior. They could say things like "wow I thought you must be late coming back from music because I didn't hear you pass my office but here you all are, I'm impressed". Variations on this theme might give some positive reinforcement to what you're trying to teach.

36. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Mar 9, 2006

My kinders were getting crazy in line this week so I dug through my CDs and found a Dr. Jean song for lining up. They think it's fun and the line has looked better. It is a cadence so I sing the first line and they repeat....
    Lining up is easy to do
    When you take care of only you
    Feet together, hands by sides
    We've got spirit, we've got pride
    Sound off, 1-2
    Hit it again, 3-4
    Ready now, 1-2-3-4
    Out the door

My rule is on out the door, all voices are off and eyes ahead ready to go. It's been working well so far.