I need help with PowerSchool (Gradebook)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by 2inspire, Aug 12, 2009.

1. 2inspire

2inspire Companion

Aug 12, 2009

Does anyone use the grade book attached to power school? I want to change the class names. For example-mine shows up Communication Arts, Math, Science, Social Studies.

I don't give a grade in subjects though. I want to have a grade book page for Fiction Comprehension, Non-Fiction Comprehension, Numbers and Operations, Algebraic Expressions etc. Does anyone know how I can do it?

3. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2009

When we had PowerSchool, our admin had to assign our classes. I don't think we could change them.

4. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2009

The names of the classes are assigned by the admin of your school. You could create categories within each of those classes and call them what you want. You could then choose whether to weight those categories or just do total points.

PowerGrade is not great when it comes to customizing things. The older versions were much better about that. I think flexibility was lost when it went to a web-based system.

5. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Aug 13, 2009

My school is switching to PowerSchool too. We used to use IGPro and I loved that I could control when grades where uploaded online and adding comments to grade (like turned in late, took a retest, etc). Does Power School have these features? Haven't gotten a look at it yet cause our training is on Monday.

6. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2009

You can add comments to the grades. I do this often. I actually like PowerTeacher (which is what they call the gradebook program) quite a bit. It's fairly easy to use.

7. jennyd

jennyd Companion

Aug 13, 2009

We started using Powerschool and Gradebook last year. It's my understanding that the actual class names are the names of the subject areas that will print out on the students' report cards, so I doubt there's much change that can happen there.

What you can do, though, is create sub categories within each class. There should be a field on the left-hand side of the screen labeled "categories." In there you can create anything you want (when I taught first I had things like Spelling, Reading Comp, etc.) and choose a color for each category. When you enter grades it will still arrange them by date, but you can run reports that sort things by category and that should let you see how students are doing in each of your particular areas.

I hope this helps!

8. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2009

I believe that is what we're changing to also. But I haven't learned anything about it yet! I did hear that it seemed difficult for k-2.