I need help with my classroom VIP theme.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Tbrook, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Tbrook

Tbrook Rookie

Jul 5, 2008

I teach special education. If any of you teach special education, you might know how these students are treated differently because of the stigma associated with special education. It is because of this that I thought it would be a good idea to start this new year with a classroom decorated as a VIP(Very Important Person) room. I have already purchased a sign for my door that says VIP entrance. I don't want it to be Hollywood or Celebrity related. I would prefer it be more plush, relaxing, and extravagant. I am on a teacher's salary, so I would like the look of this, only with minimal cost. I would appreciate any ideas.
    Thanks!

3. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jul 5, 2008

What about having covers and cushions for the chairs?

You could check yard sales for the cushions. You can go to the fabric store and check the bargain section for $1-2/yard fabrics to make simple slip covers.

You can create a warm and inviting feeling with some lamps- again, check yard sales (and your school's rules... some don't allow lamps).

4. restlessruby

restlessruby Rookie

Jul 5, 2008

I agree about the cushions - there is just something about fabric that screams "VIP." In fact, you can use tied back curtains to separate areas in the room. When I was in college and lived in an apartment without doors, I bought some great fabric shower curtains from Tuesday Morning for cheap to separate the rooms. It definitely gave off the "plush" feeling.

I can understand wanting to get away from the "movie stars" theme. Thinking about VIP's as "First Class" students, you can go with a star rating system (like hotels). With that, I think of restaurants, golf courses, and airplanes.

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 5, 2008

Wow! I'm really surprised by that. I've taught inclusion for years, and I've never seen any stigma or problems with being the special ed program. As a matter of fact, many of the "general ed" kids get very jealous that they aren't included in some of the small groups or activities -- and beg to go!

6. Tbrook

Tbrook Rookie

Jul 5, 2008

Unfortunately, most of the stigma problems come from other teachers. The "general ed" kids usually don't know that the students I work with are special ed. students. And yes, they do want to go with my kids. However, it never fails, that a regular education teacher will put them to the side of the room while I'm working with another group in another room, or announce to the classroom that they don't have to do something because they are "special ed.". I am wanting so badly to move to another district and get away from all of this, but that is another discussion for another day. LOL

7. Tbrook

Tbrook Rookie

Jul 5, 2008

Your star rating statement intrigues me. What do you mean by that?

8. restlessruby

restlessruby Rookie

Jul 5, 2008

I'm not quite sure how you could implement it and don't really know what you'll be teaching.

Maybe it could be used for classroom management - 1 star = poor behavior all the way to 5 stars = great behavior. 5 star VIPs get something extra? I don't know...

I originally thought about a book rating system to let kids act as the judges for books they love.

Anyone have any better ideas? I'm stuck!

9. SnoopyTeacher

SnoopyTeacher Companion

Jul 5, 2008

VIP

OHH! I love your idea for your room. You are absolutely right about how these kids are treated. They are really lucky to have you as their teacher!:2up:

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 5, 2008

You can do the star rating with books... :)

This is a really nice idea!

11. Tbrook

Tbrook Rookie

Jul 5, 2008

I'm really loving these ideas. They are great. Thanks and please keep sending more.