I need help with emails to two parents!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Oct 13, 2018.

1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2018

If I worry about a meeting going south without warning, I do ask if an administrator can attend as well. If I'm going to be on my own, I always make sure that someone else knows about the meeting (I sometimes have one of the office administrative assistants or another teacher call into my classroom after a time to "remind" me about the next meeting I have scheduled.

2. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Oct 15, 2018

Our social worker is attending the meeting! Thanks for the advice.

3. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Oct 16, 2018

So I had another issue with the boy who is argumentative today. He was constantly turning around/talking during classwork. He had a detention today for his behavior but he did not show up. Mom is very supportive and she said she can take more extreme measures if necessary. I might send her an email saying that he received a detention for turning around/being off topic in class and he has started to become argumentative with me. Does that sound reasonable?

4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Oct 16, 2018

This is my email so far.

I hope you are having a good start to the week! I wanted to check in with you about XXX's behavior in math class today.

Students in my class have a partner that they are expected to work with during class & they also have many opportunities to turn and talk with their partner and work together. However, it is important to me that students are staying on topic and focused as they are working with their partner. Today, XXX was not staying focused during classwork and was turning around/talking to people who are not his partner. XXX has also started to become argumentative with me and I want to emphasize that he is welcome to talk to me after school or after class if he has a concern about a direction that I give him.

Because of his behavior today, XXX does have a detention with me. Since we have a half day tomorrow and he did not come today, will he be able to attend his detention on Tuesday? This is an opportunity for us to check in about his behavior and talk about strategies to help him stay focused and on task in math class.

Thanks again for your continued support.

5. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Oct 16, 2018

Mom of the kid who I am meeting with also did not show up for his detention!! agh

6. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Oct 16, 2018

Who didn't show up? Mom? Kid?

7. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Oct 16, 2018

Whoops - the kid. Mom is coming in to meet on Thursday.

The kid is actually doing a bit better in class BUT he still needs a consequence for his ridiculous behavior during the quiz. My school policy is that if they don't show up to detention it turns into 2. I'm going to give him one more chance next week to come.

8. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Oct 16, 2018

If the school policy is that if they don't show up they get two, then stick to the school policy. Giving him another chance erodes your authority as a teacher, and makes him think you don't mean what you say.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  9. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Oct 16, 2018

Good call -- thanks. I'll have him come Tues./Wed. next week.