I need help with centers!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by esher613, Jul 17, 2009.

1. esher613

esher613 Rookie

Jul 17, 2009

Hello all, I am a first year teaching, and I will be teaching Kindergarten. I am looking for center ideas...I'm not sure where to start, I have neevr taught Kinder before and I'm lost trying to think of what categories I need and what kinds of activities I should use and have students do. Any ideas are greatly appreciated...thank you for helping me out!

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 17, 2009

Debbie Diller has some excellent books, particularly on literacy workstations. This website:

(I can't get the link to work but it's "Florida Center for Reading Research")

is my favorite for printing activities. Kathy Richardson is good resource for math ideas.

Basically for reading I do: abc station, word family/spelling, big book, listening, buddy reading, poetry, overhead.

Math: Whatever objectives you are working on will dictate the workstation activities: patterns - make strips with shape or color patterns and have the kids reproduce them with manipulatives, counting objects, sorting, etc.

4. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Jul 17, 2009

Are you looking for literacy center type ideas or activity center type ideas? For Literacy, DEFINITELY check out Debbie Diller's book. It is amazing and will help you a ton (I was a first year Kinder teacher last year).

For activity centers, I had 3 centers and divided the kids into 3 groups. They rotated between the centers every 15-20 minutes. I usually had a "play" center (house, blocks, Mr. Potato Head, water table, playdough, something they could do without a lot of adult help); a "learning" center (small group math lesson, reading practice, handwriting practice, science experiment); and a "art" center (painting, craft, etc.). I had a TA, so she usually worked with the art center and I usually worked with the learning center.

If you PM me your email address, I can send you a Word document I created last year with 16 pages of ideas I found online. :)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  5. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jul 17, 2009

6. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jul 18, 2009

I also recommend debbie diller, her book is great!

my center ideas for now include:

writing center - paper, fancy writing tools, envelopes, mini books
    abc center - magnet letters for sorting activities, abc stamps, white boards, magnet boards
    big book center
    math center
    fine motor center - play dough, tweezers, ice cube trays for sorting activities
    write the room - clip boards and markers
    computers
    paint easel

7. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 18, 2009

http://www.fcrr.org/Curriculum/studentCenterActivities.htm

This site is set forth by the Florida Center for Reading Research, and has several books (in pdf form) that you can download FOR FREE. The books are LOADED with center ideas - both for activities and management. It's the only way I survived last year (my first with centers).