I need help with Balanced Literacy!

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by CatieCat, Aug 14, 2010.

1. CatieCat

CatieCat Rookie

Aug 14, 2010

OK...I need some help. My school uses the Balanced Literacy approach. Is there a certain framework that you follow during the first few weeks of school? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!:thanks:

3. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2010

My school follows the Balanced Literacy approach too but I'm a little confused by your wording. Can you be more specific about what info you are asking for???

4. CatieCat

CatieCat Rookie

Aug 15, 2010

I'm sorry I wasn't more specific. I am concerned about the guided reading aspect of balanced literacy. How do I begin this? Fountas and Pinnell recommend not pulling any guided reading groups for the first 6 weeks of school. I just want to know what sort of activities or mini-lessons do teachers do during the first six weeks of class.

5. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Aug 15, 2010

For the first 6 weeks your are teaching the routines of what your balanced literacy time will looks like. Then you practice practice practice. Since your not meeting with groups you would monitor the students. After awhile you can start doing your individual assessments during this time.

Others may disagree with this. But it completely depends upon my class on whether I take 6 six weeks. Most of the time I can start much sooner.

6. MJH

MJH Companion

Aug 15, 2010

Break It Down

I worked with a wonderful teacher for a few years and learned so much from her. She showed me how to introduce independent reading and work from there. After a week of training them on how to read indpendently and increasing their time from 5 minutes to 15 minutes in a week. She then split the class in half and had half reading and she would work with the other half on something very simple; usually a worksheet. She would then be able to monitor the reading students and yet help those doing the worksheet. The third week she would split the class into three groups and moved to working at her guided reading table while one group read, one did a worksheet and she worked with a group. The fourth week she would split into 4 groups and the fifth week into five groups. She would teach a new center in the small groups from week 3 - 5. At that time we were required to use the basel so one group alway worked on those worksheets. It really helps doing this even in second grade. Taking things slowly to make sure you teach your routines and procedures before beginning guided reading.

I still set up my beginning of the year this way because it works so well for me. I know others who begin with 5 groups and try guided reading by the second or third week of school and then complain how noisey the kids are during centers.

This year I'm doing Daily 5 and still training the kids the same way; one week at a time.

7. CatieCat

CatieCat Rookie

Aug 15, 2010

Thank you for the detailed breakdown! I think I'm going to start with teaching them about our class library and how it is organized and then start with independent reading. Then, I'm going to introduce poetry to the students and the poetry center. We will have a weekly poem that each student will cut and paste into a notebook. This will be my starting point.

I have been reading Literacy Work Stations by Debbie Diller. Last year I introduced all my work stations at once and it did not work. The students were too noisy and did not know what was expected of them. I also don't think I had enough choices for the students to do at centers. I think the key is to model, model, model then have the children start using the stations.