I need help with a project.....

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teacherheath, May 15, 2010.

1. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

May 15, 2010

Every month since the beginning of school, I've done two things: taken a picture of each student at the beginning of the month holding a bulletin board topper saying which month it is. I've also had them write on a labeled "month letterhead" about something special or memorable about that month. I also have some random writings saved like things they did over holidays, beginning of the year goal setting, etc. I want to organize these pictures and writings into some kind of keepsake for their parents. All year long I've been telling them these are going in their "book" and it's time for me to compile them, but I'm just not sure how. It would be easy to just bind the writings, but what about the pictures? The tricky part is that this will all be out of pocket, so I don't want anything too spendy. I'd like to keep it under $25 total if possible. Any creative types have any suggestions????

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 15, 2010

I trust the images are digital. For each student, either put all the photos on one page or - if there are too many - have them choose a suitable number; then either print that page off on an inkjet printer or see if you can get a photo printing shop to donate all or part of the printing. If you have the photo pages done separately, just tuck each student's page into his or her book before you bind it.

4. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

May 15, 2010

That would have been a great idea, Teacher Groupie. But I have been printing them off each month into photos, since I didn't want it to be one huge expense at the end of the year.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 15, 2010

So you have copies of the photos in hand for each kid? Then set the book up with photo pages and print the pages, and have each kid glue his or her photos into the appropriate places either before or after binding. (Adding art like this, after binding, was standard procedure for book art back in the late 19th and early 20th centuries: one of the names for it was "tipping in".)

If you're using something like MS Word to design the book, use a "placeholder" graphic that consists of a rectangle (with lines) about one-third to one-half the size of the photo centered inside a rectangle (without lines or fill, or if you prefer with a decorative border) that's a small fraction of an inch larger than the photo. The inside rectangle is for kids to put glue in (even with glue sticks, they'll overshoot the boundaries for glue otherwise, and even glue stick can spread a little).

6. tgim

tgim Habitué

May 15, 2010

Oh my goodness - a student made a paper-bag journal/scrapbook of a field trip that would lend itself perfectly to this!! I have been racking my brain for a way to use this - I guess it will have to wait until next year for me...

Use a brown lunch bag for each month, stack them and bind them together at the "closed" end using a hole punch and yarn or ribbon (you might want to reinforce using those hole stickers); have students glue the pictures on the outside of each bag, then fold the memory page and place it inside the bag for that particular month. Voila - a journal/scrapbook of the whole year!

7. queenie

queenie Groupie

May 16, 2010

I am SO doing the paper bag thingy next year!! :D :thanks:

8. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

May 16, 2010

In the summer, Staples usually has two pocket, pronged folders that go on sale for a penny. I always buy a ton of them and use them for projects like this. You can punch holes in copy paper and the kiddos can glue their photos and work onto it. I like to get the white ones and they can decorate the cover with marker as well. Odd sized projects fit into the pockets.

They are not a penny right now, but they are still pretty cheap.

9. forkids

forkids Cohort

May 16, 2010

I've used the two-pocket, pronged folders for 'memory books' for my class and they work well. I like to use three ring binders, but they are more expensive. (maybe ask parents to donate these or put on supply list for next year - then you can put things in throughout the year as they are collected and not have to do it all at the end). Another way that may not be too expensive is to stack sheet protectors and staple together along the side with holes. You can use the cheaper ones - they're more flimsy, but if you put a piece of cardstock in the first and last one it makes a fairly sturdy cover. Just slip everything into the protectors back to back so you won't need so many pages. Put the cover page in the pocket in front of the card stock.

10. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

May 16, 2010

Just wanted to add that a co-worker has done the paper bag thing for the alphabet but she is able to run them through the printer so you could put the name of each month on it. I have been afraid to try it but it looked great.

11. tgim

tgim Habitué

May 16, 2010

:unsure: Wow, scmom - your co-worker is brave! I don't do well with paper jams, so I would probably just have the kids label them, or print labels...