I need help! Venting!

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by JXG, May 9, 2015.

1. JXG

JXG Rookie

May 9, 2015

So about a month ago, I received an offer to be a long term sub for an 8th grade science teacher. It was my dream job, but now, I'm not so sure. I know that I came in at the fourth marking period and all students are thinking about is graduation. Some of my classes are easier than others and I have one class in particular that it's almost impossible for me to get through a lesson. I'm feeling like a failure because I was so unprepared for this and the principal who hired me has so much faith in me. My student teaching internship wasn't much help either. What can I do to help them stay on task? I'm thinking about changing careers. I don't want to but I don't know what to do anymore. If I'm feeling like this now, I don't think there is hope for me when I get a full-time job.

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

May 10, 2015

If someone asked me what is the most difficult grade to sub for, I would say 8th grade. If someone asked which subject in 8th grade would be the toughest to sub for, I would say Science. You have the most difficult subbing job you can possibly get IMO.

I would get the book Tools for Teaching by Fred Jones and also watch some videos on YouTube on Power Teaching. These probably would be most helpful. Hang in there.

4. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

May 10, 2015

I don't know what to tell you to do with your classes specifically, but I just wanted to offer some encouragement and say that from my experience coming into a job mid-year, it can be MUCH different (and better) when you start the year fresh. Whatever happens between now and the end of your school year, don't lose hope! Additionally, I feel like when I have a bad day (or week, or whatever) I am often focusing on just one or a couple of really bad things and forgetting about all of the things that went well or at least decently. You have said that some classes are easier, so maybe those are going okay? Try to enjoy those that are going more smoothly, especially if you are going to have to tighten the reins on the classes that aren't going as well.

5. JXG

JXG Rookie

May 12, 2015

Thank you so much @oneberry and @readingrules. I appreciate your feedback!

6. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 3, 2015

Have you tried candy? My 8th graders will jump through hoops for a Jolly Rancher. Packet work for that class? Send the ring leader out to time-out or to the office. Make sure you have a paper trail. Does your school allow kids to listen to music? Play Pandora in the class - low. They have to be quiet to hear it. Or, if they are allowed to use their own ipods, etc. let them listen to music - low. They need to be able to hear you. Behavior issues? No music that day.

You are in an awful position. I hope the rest of the year goes more smoothly.

7. misswteaches

misswteaches Companion

Jun 3, 2015

I would never take an 8th grade end-of-year long-term sub position. Kudos to you for sticking with it!
    I don't think you should give up on teaching just yet. I don't think student teaching or subbing really mimic what it's like to have your own classroom. And I second the suggestions Aussiegirl made; those are great ideas!

8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jun 8, 2015

I was in your position just a few years ago. I would say it's typical. The credential programs don't really prepare you for a real lts position or teaching position.

I think the advice you've gotten is good. Survive the next few weeks. Work on just building relationships with the kids. Next year, be prepared by having read classroom management books and articles beforehand. Put together a good CM plan and try it out next year. (You may or may not be back in the same position.)

9. XULA'01

XULA'01 New Member

Jun 17, 2015

DO NOT QUIT!!!

Trust me, subbing can be challenging at times. I subbed full-time (every grade level) last year. From my experience, proximity and consistency are very important.

Proximity = walk around and engage the students instead of sitting/standing in front of class

Consistency= make your basic expectations very clear from the beginning(write them on the board if necessary) enforce them firmly, fairly and they must apply to EVERYONE.

I believe these two changes will help.

10. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Jun 18, 2015

It's been a month... how are you doing, JXG? Did you make it through the year, or are you getting close to the end?

11. JXG

JXG Rookie

Aug 18, 2015

OMG I wish I saw this earlier! Yes I did make it through. It was so hard, but then June rolled around and it was easy because we were all concentrating on graduation and prom. Everyone graduated and I kind of miss them now...weird huh? lol