I need help or any advice! Student Centered !

Discussion in 'High School' started by TEACHTEACHTEACH, Aug 16, 2015.

1. TEACHTEACHTEACH

TEACHTEACHTEACH New Member

Aug 16, 2015

Hi guys

My friend and I both are teachers we recently graduated. He landed the job High School History Teacher, I help him with lessons. He said the principal told him to make his lessons more student centered. I don't want you lecturing all day. Which we already know is not good. However, he has activities for his students every lesson! Student centered mean having the kids learn themselves... right....We' don't get it! Does he mean absolutely no lecturing? I mean how else can you teach without providing some instruction first? What exactly does student centered mean to you? And what are some activities you have done that are student centered? :dizzy: Thanks Please give any insight you have about the subject.

3. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Aug 16, 2015

I think cooperative learning, interactive notebooks, etc.

4. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Aug 16, 2015

One example: jigsaw. For example, with a large text you assign certain sections for individual students (within their table groups) to read. They then become "experts" on that particular part. After reading, students share with the group what their part was about.

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 16, 2015

You can def. have about 10 minutes of lecture time, some things just have to be explained by a teacher, but the rest of the activities could be student lead.
    Some days you might have 20 minutes (in chunks) of direct instruction, other times maybe even none at all.
    If you google student centered activities, you will find a lot!

6. GPC0321

GPC0321 Companion

Aug 18, 2015

Student- centered to me means the students are being responsible for their own learning. Shift the responsibility more onto the students and then the teacher becomes more of a facilitator who is there to help if needed.
    The other poster mentioned jig-sawing. This is a great example because students learn best by teaching one another.
    I use a gradual release process in my English class. I model/read and think aloud for them through one text. Next they work in collaborative groups with another text to practice the skills I modeled for them. Finally they work individually on a text (either a new one or the one they did in groups) so I can assess their grasp of the skills for that unit.
    I also have them reflect on their progress in achieving the goals for each unit. They keep binders that contain all of their work, vocabulary, journals, and unit goals and reflections for the semester. This way they are sort of forced to take responsibility for their own learning. And except for they day or two I spend reading aloud and modeling how to think through the text, the rest is basically on them. In fact, I discourage them even talking to me during group work. I grade their group participation, and if they ask me something they could've asked a group member or should be able to figure out without my input, I take points off. It works quite well for those students who seem to need constant reassurance and attention from the teacher.
    I don't do anything all that "creative" with my classes, but I do try to make it so at the end of most days THEY are the ones who've done the majority of the work instead of me.

7. Zipzesty

Zipzesty New Member

Sep 25, 2015

You can try a type of teaching called "reverse lessons". This is where you post a video lecture with a PowerPoint and voice to explain it so the students can rewind or pause to go back and hear it again. Then the next class give them a small 4 question (open notes) quiz on the lesson. Make it 5 points (or the equivalent to your scoring system) and tell them they have 1 extra point for free, it makes them feel good. This has improved test scores and is an easier way for your students to learn the section better and at their own speed.

I hope this helps.