I need help finding big books for themes!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by NewbieTeachr, Jul 2, 2009.

1. NewbieTeachr

NewbieTeachr Rookie

Jul 2, 2009

I am teaching first/second this fall using thematic units that go along with the science/s.s./health curriculum. I am looking for big books to go along with each theme. I have found a few but I am stuck on a lot! Help would be greatly appreciated. Here is the list of themes that I still have not found big books for:

Egypt
    Rome
    Greece
    Europe
    India
    China
    Movement
    Machines
    Teeth
    Bones and Muscles
    Heart and Blood
    Lungs and Air

I'm not picky the book doesn't actually have to have the theme in the title. Like for China-it could be a folk tale or an animal that is in China. I've been google-ing for the past 2 days and figured I should ask here.

Thanks!!

3. little317

little317 Groupie

Jul 2, 2009

Try finding a general book about the human body that would cover all the themes related to it. Lakeshore, Learning Resources and Newbridge books could be places to look for books on those themes.

4. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 2, 2009

I would check out Scholastic. You can get big book sets (5 different titles) or individual big books that have 6 smaller copies of the big book. You might be able to use points to get them.

5. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2009

Those are some heavy concepts for 1st / 2nd grade. I think most books related to them would have content at a higher level and would be hard to find a big book.

Have you thought about making your own? Do you have access to an LCD projector? You could make some powerpoints using images from the internet with text that is at your students' levels.

6. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 2, 2009

I, too, agree that some of the listed topics are quite in-depth for 1st and 2nd graders. Are you teaching in a private or charter school? I teach 2nd grade and our social studies curriculum is based on neighborhoods, map skills, traditions, goods and services, and US holidays.

7. NewbieTeachr

NewbieTeachr Rookie

Jul 2, 2009

It's a private Christian school. I am actually going to Japan to teach so I don't have the resources with me. Social Studies is ACSI. Science is Abeka.

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 2, 2009

I'm going to be listing a TON of big books this coming week-I have a huge number of science big books. I have to wait until mom and dad leave on Monday morning, and then I'll be posting them. Watch for a thread announcing them-I'll post on here, too.

9. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 2, 2009

Most science big books come from Delta -- but as far as I know, they only sell them in multi-book sets -- and those start at around $350 per set.

Do they have to be big books? The only other publisher that I can think of for science big books (other than Delta) is Abrams and ETA/Cuisenaire-- and again, they only sell in sets.

Now, if you just need a colorful book on the topic, I have 2nd grade level books on

Contributions of Ancient Egypt
    Contributiosn of Ancient China

I may still have my Greece and Rome books from when I taught 3rd grade.

If you want a pdf copy, just pm me with your email address.

10. NewbieTeachr

NewbieTeachr Rookie

Jul 3, 2009

They don't all have to be big books. I will have a projector available but there is only one in the school so I wouldn't be able to use it for every theme.

Jem-I'll keep an eye out for your books :)

Thank you everyone!

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

12. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 18, 2009

Good gosh, these are expensive!

Anyhow, I've got all mine up and posted-most are $5. Hope there are some you can use!

$5 Big Books-click here