I need help figuring out how to discuss a child's behaviour to his parent

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by srfjeld, Nov 14, 2008.

1. srfjeld

srfjeld Companion

Nov 14, 2008

Hi,

I am a first year teacher and would like a little advice about one of my students. I know that we can in no way diagnose, or even suggest to a parent that their child might have a disorder, but I'm wondering what steps I can take as conferences are in less than 2 weeks.

I'm convinced there is something going on with this little guy. He has the hardest time following the simplest routines. Morning routine is to come in, hang up backpack, take out take-home folder, then hang up coat and put lunch box away and go to his desk and get to work that is left for him there. He has yet to master anything beyond hanging coat, backpack and lunch box. EVERY day I have to repeatedly ask him to get out his folder. When he does his work he does this thing with his eyes where shuts them tight over and over again and his head does almost a chicken peckish thing ever so slightly. I've asked him if his eyes bother him and if he can see okay and he says yes. He is liked, but has no relationships. He plays alone, contently, on the playground along side his classmates. He is a low-talker but when he is finally on task it's like he has just woken up and very loudly blurts out answers, which catches his classmates off guard so they laugh a bit and he looks confused as to why because he's really not trying to be funny. In class he's constantly moving around in his seat, throwing his leg over his chair, twisting all around. Also, he has emotional outbursts over the smallest... and I do mean smallest things, such as asking him to move over one seat in the lunch room. He will blurt something out and then cry for 2 to 3 minutes. These are all little things, but combined I feel like something is definitely going on.

I should also mention that when he does focus, you can't stop him, he's in a third grade reading group... even though he's not organized enough to keep track of all the homework on his own and can do math like nobody's business. Mom is great and works with him on his homework every night. She also volunteers once a week in our lunchroom.

I have spoken with my principal about him and he just keeps saying that "he" should say something to mom, but never does. I'd really like to mention something to mom in the conference. As I mentioned, I am new and I work in a charter school so getting district help is a whole other ball of yarn...

Any pointers?

Thank you.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 14, 2008

But you're right. Don't ever attempt a diagnosis.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 14, 2008

You've explained things perfectly. Share with the parents what you observe in the course of the day--where he is having difficulty and what you have done up to this point to support him and help him to be successful. As for their suggestions as to what else they think may work for their child.

Good luck--I have 3 of these meetings coming up in the next week.

5. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Nov 14, 2008

Sounds like Aspergers. I would go talk to the counselor and tell her your findings and that you think there is an issue and have her come observe child and maybe both of you can talk to mom and Dad

6. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Nov 14, 2008

I agree. Not that I am a doctor or anything close, but I have a student who has Aspergers and I could've sworn you were describing that child as I was reading this post! Good luck, it sounds like you have supportive parents! :)

7. srfjeld

srfjeld Companion

Nov 15, 2008

Here's the problem... I don't have a counselor and when I spoke with the director/principal about it yesterday he said he didn't think he wanted him to be assessed. He said, "do you know what happens if he gets assessed? he will get an IEP and then someone from the district will come out here and pull him out once a week and nothing will get accomplished." yeah... it's frustrating. if a child does have aspergers, shouldn't the parents know? ugh! so frustrating to be at this school sometimes!

8. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Nov 16, 2008

What kind of school do you work at, if you do not have a counselor? I know alot of schools will try to avoid diagnosing a child because if they do, then the school will have to pay for testing and what not, but the other angle is, if they do nto say anything and the parents realize this later and IF there is any record of behaviors or "possible lables" in his file,t he parents could come back and sue the pants off of the school. IF there is not a Special Ed person in your school or a counselor, then I would call your union or insurance company and ask them the legalities or their direction in how to discuss this since oyur principal/director does not want to and how liable you are in the future if parents were to come back or what their suggestions are. I think it will depend on what state you teach in, I am in Texas and it is mandatory that f you suspect anything like this, you must tell someone higher up in school and request for help must be addressed by them.

Good luck and keep us posted a child with Aspergers, if that is what it is, needs to be diagnosed so parents can begin getting therapy for him and learning how to deal with him at home and in turn the therapist will work with you too, not all Asperger kids get put into SPecial ed, it just depends on their severity, plenty of Asperger kids stay mainstreamed with a 504 accomodations in the classroom to help them and the teachers.