I need help before I pull out my hair!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Patch351, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Patch351

Patch351 Rookie

Nov 1, 2007

The first two weeks of school went well. My co-teacher, I and students came up with the rules. The rules are viewed daily (my times multiple times) and we were are still are very consistant with what we expect, the rules, and "punishments". All of the sudden the kids are not listening!!! Its like night and day and nothing has changed in the way we are doing things. ( a few examples.....If they run to line up we sit down and do it again. If they can't listen and keep their hands to theirselves at circle or any other "large group" time they have to make the choice to either sit at their table with their hear down OR fix their behavior and stay with us)

Any suggestion?

We also really praise the students who are listening and doing things correctly/following the rules and that has seemed to stop working.

I want to try a reward type of method, but I think it may be frowned upon in my program. Does anyone use one? If so, how is yours set up?

Thank you SO MUCH......I really need everyones help!!

3. msaly

msaly Comrade

Nov 1, 2007

i used a behavior system with my twos last year. it worked for me. I used the stop light system. Each child had green, yellow and red card. Everyone started the day with green, they got one warning to change their behavoir, if i had to say something again they got changed to yellow, the next time it was red. it took a few days for the kids to get used to but they did. at the end of the day each child still on green got to put a marble in a clear mayo jar. When my jar was filled up they got an ice cream party. the kids tried really hard to stay on green so they could put a marble in the jar.

4. MsCatWCP

MsCatWCP Rookie

Nov 1, 2007

Last year we had a star sticker chart and the stop light system. Here is what I noticed: 1. All of the same students almost always had stars and the ones that needed them almost always did not (believe me, I tried very hard to find reasons to give them, too). Also, I have kids that just turned 3 or will soon turn 3 and some did not know what the green, yellow and red meant AND again, the same students had green and the same had red. 2. The students who seemed to need the behavior plan would "give up" because they will never be as good as _____. It almost turned into a competition to see who could get the most stars or keep the green light.

This year I threw out the sticker chart and the stop light and we have a "Pom Pom" jar. I explained on the first day that when they were following directions they could put a Pom Pom in the jar and I asked them what kind of reward they wanted when the jar was full. One little girl said that they should have a Pizza Party when the Pom Pom jar was full, emphasizing the "P" sound. I was impressed and Pizza it was, lol. I would say, "WOW, you all lined up very nicely, let's put some Pom Poms in our jar!" or "WOW, you all cleaned up very quickly!" then I would bring the jar to them and let THEM put the Pom Poms in themselves. (Takes a few extra minutes but I think they got the idea better and they were proud of themselves.

It took us over a month to fill the jar but the day after the Pizza Party, I added a twist; I explain that morning that NOW when someone was NOT following directions that they would have to take a Pom Pom OUT of the jar. And as soon as someone was not following directions, I had him take one out. I think having him stick HIS hand in the jar and take the Pom Pom out himself had the biggest effect. Oh, I did not make a big deal out it in front of everyone but everyone did see. The boy turned around and saw his friends all looking at him and I just about choked; I did not want to embarrass or humiliate him. But he stood there for a minute and then told everyone that he was sorry. Another little boy told him that it was ok and he forgave him but please start following directions so we can have pizza again. lol Then most of the other students forgave him.

I really like this method because it involves the whols class as a group and, for the most part, doesn't single anyone out. I have been really impressed at how they have pulled together as a team!

I didn't mean to go on and on and on...

Oh, I also try really hard to find reasons to give possitive reinforecment through out the day, especially to the ones that seem to cause the most trouble. There is one little boy who will tell us, "Yeah, I know I am bad." and hang his head low. He must hear this a lot at home, very sad. We tell him - no, you are not bad, but I don't like what you did/said etc...

5. Patch351

Patch351 Rookie

Nov 2, 2007

Ms cat, I'm glad you went on and on...ha!

I really like the pom pom idea! My program though is really BIG on having the children control themselves and for the right reasons......not to get rewards. I think I may talk to my supervisor. I really think it would work wonders in my class though.

Thanks for typing that all out too! I don't think the green, yellow, red would work in my class either.

6. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Nov 2, 2007

what about candy?

I have left Head Start, and joined the real world...Public School!

This is all so weird to me! I know it was Halloween last week, but I had the suspicion, and was right...this school has no problem giving out candy all year long!

All school programs are now telling us to not give out treats because of childhood obesity. Head Start NEVER let us do any candy. At my new school, I got kids who come in chewing gum! The whole building is pre-k

the teacher gives out stickers every day, and on Friday gives them candy.

Well folks, there is a new sheriff in town! I am taking over (someday? :unsure:) and I need to break this habit like real quick. I don't believe in giving out candy like that. and I don't have the money either!

I told them, today I will give you candy..but I would not do it every Friday. I told my aide, I would rather get a treasure chest...some place like Oriental Trading catalog, or dollar store..and give out little toys!

so I need help too!

7. MsCatWCP

MsCatWCP Rookie

Nov 2, 2007

Being the mother of a son with Asperger's Syndrome and another son with ADHD, I am HIGHLY against candy! :eek:

I just had a conference with the teacher of my son with ADHD (4th grade) who explained that when deserved, she gives Hershey's Kisses each afternoon. Then proceeds to ask me if my son is medicated. When I told her no, she said that in her honest opinion he should be because he cannot sit still. DUH, you sugared him up then wonder WHY he isn't sitting???? :eek:hmy:

I will admit that I even had reservations about our pizza party but this only takes place every month to month and a half and it is a meal not candy. AND not daily or even weekly. :unsure:

I will now step down off of my soap box. :whistle:

8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Nov 2, 2007

oh....did I forget to mention, my class is special ed?!

pre-k
    special ed
    on sugar

:huh:

9. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Nov 2, 2007

My students love getting a Smiley Face drawn with a magic marker

10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Nov 2, 2007

a smelly marker? :p

that is pretty inexpensive! and it's non-toxic and washable!

11. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Nov 4, 2007

My 3's class uses the traffic light system, but with a twist. Last year, we did them the "traditional" way, on a pocket chart, etc. We wanted/needed something this year that did something similar, but didn't single kids out. So, we told the parents to "assume your child had a green day unless you see otherwise." Yellow and red lights are Popsicle sticks in their cubbies. The kids pulled quite a few sticks the first few weeks, but we rarely have to give more than one every few days now. The kids HATE having to pull a stick!!!

Other consequences we use... if you can't sit nicely in the circle, you stand up, away from the group. If you can't lay nicely on your cot at nap time (and I mean kids who decide to crawl under the table instead, etc), you can stand for a few minutes, until you're ready to lay nicely. Kids are asked to play by themselves or leave the table or whatever if they can't do what they're asked to do. They VERY quickly have understood. :)

We give out stickers occasionally, and other small prizes as warranted... but usually go on a LOT of praise and special privileges for kids who behave.

12. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2007

ok, so where is the cheapest place to get stickers?

13. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Nov 5, 2007

I love the ones sold as "chart stickers" from teacher stores... they're TINY, but it doesn't matter. You get several hundred for a few dollars.

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2007

ok, but I heard some book clubs give you freebies? is that true?

15. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Nov 5, 2007

I've found drawing quick "faces" on a student's paper is a big motivator. I'm not a great artist, but I can quickly draw monster, puppy, kitten, bird style smiley faces. The kids can't wait to see what I'm going to draw on their paper.

If they don't behave, I just put a check on it.

16. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2007

maybe this is a midnight hijack...it is on behavior

but does anyone pick up their kids when they really get out of hand? I think this just spoils them?

may be starting a war... I know they are still babies.. at 3. but 4's and 5s! :confused: unless there is a fire or I'm resecuing you off the top of slide if you fell down....

I don't believe a teacher should constantly pick uptantrum throwing preschoolers.

It makes it hard on those of us who can't or won't. If I could, I would not do it every day, that's for sure!

clarification here: not pick up, move to safety and continue lesson, I mean pick up, like a baby, and carry in your arms down the hall while the rest of us walk in line!

17. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Nov 6, 2007

I had out skittles every once in a while. Mostly after cleaning up times, so it motivates them to clean up faster! :) I have stopped doing it for sitting correctly, because I get too many kids saying I'm sitting good, I'm quiet and etc. I have a student that can't eat solids, so I give him stickers. MOst of the time I don't have to worry about that, because he is so naugthy anyway.

Oh, I teach a sped inclusion pk room. 9 on IEPs and 9 gen, 2 are MR (although I suspect 2 others are too and just haven't been labeled).

18. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Nov 6, 2007

I pick up students who won't go to timeout. I also pick up students who are being physically agressive towards other students (throwing chairs and etc). I don't carry them like a baby at all. I put my arm around their stomach and carry. I wouldn't carry them like a baby, because it would be too easy for them to kick you in the head or hit you in the head. I usually remove the students from my room and take them to another room that is available. Allow them to tantrum and then we walk back the room.

19. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Nov 10, 2007

well, that is good advice Mrs. B.

I also remember the belt hold, when you grab a child from from the back using his belt, so he can't turn all the way around to hit you, when breaking up a fight.

my issue is, this is the way the previous teacher treats this disruptive child.

she doesn't pick him up just to move him, she actually carries him in her arms, or on her hip, all the way down the hall just because he refuses to walk with us.

she says she feels bad because he hits himself and throws up.

I say, if you leave him alone long enough, he will get the message...

cognitively, nothing wrong...no social/emotional disorders

20. Ms. Danielle

Ms. Danielle Rookie

Nov 15, 2007

I really like this idea considering the stickers i use to reward good behavior either end up in the trash in pieces or stuck somewhere else in the class....

my only concern - i'm afraid this will teach them that it's okay to draw on one another. is there anything special you say to them that lets them know it's not okay to draw on one another?

thanks!

21. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Nov 15, 2007

I don't do stickers because of what Ms. Danielle said.

Master~I would just leave the kid there and have the rest of the class go about their business. I have aides, so I would just leave an adult watching them. If I had to carry someone, it's for a reason.

As far as the original post goes. I'm at my wits end. Something in my room needs to change quickly. I have a huge meeting with my principal, my AEA consultants, my PK principal, and the lady who hired me. There is no way I can keep going on in my room without any more support. I have 18 students, 9 on IEPs, 2 of which are labeled MR (1 with Downs and the other with Autism). I'm just struggling to get by. My kids aren't going to reach their goals, because some of the kids are way lower than the goals are. The previous teacher wrote way too high of goals.

22. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 15, 2007

A behavior "system" is good. Consistency is good. Positive reinforcement is good. Consequences appropriately applied is also good. One thing though that I notice between my teacher and myself is that I tend to get more results not because she doesn't do and same all the same things but because my delivery is different. I use my face, body and tone to convey I mean business.

23. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Nov 16, 2007

yeah, I need help with that one too. my morning class can't handle markers at all! :( one kid loves to make tatoos all over his arms every time he finds a marker.

and, they wear white shirts for uniforms!

24. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 16, 2007

Now who the heck gives little kids white shirts as part of their uniforms?! That's just nuts and it was obviously not designed by someone in the classroom.

25. Ms. Danielle

Ms. Danielle Rookie

Nov 16, 2007

I spoke to another teacher about this idea of drawing smiley faces... and the kids thinking it's okay to draw on one another...

she suggested that instead we could stamp a special kind of stamp on their hand.

I'm thinking we're going to try this one... I don't see any downsides to it - not yet anyway.

26. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Nov 17, 2007

Duh! I've been wondering the same thing!! Almost every school district in Chicagoland area, including Chicago Public Schools!

White shirt, navy pants. Girls, navy pants, jumpers or skirt. Navy or white sweaters. Pants with belt. Navy or white socks, black shoes. No gym shoes except for gym, take them off after gym. No name brand/NIKE gym shoes, plain white or black gym shoes. Some places have spirit day or dress down day on Friday. You can wear school (PTA) shirt. Most places it is mandatory, some is optional.

My daughter hated it! I loved it. No more fights over clothes!! She couldn't wait to get to high school!

In fact, I worked at one school and student taught at another that had sad uniform rules for teachers too! Worked for me, I had no complaints. You always knew when a visitor was in building or neighbor kid was on playground...usually to start a fight! He stood out like a sore thumb!

We had it same rules in my Calif. schools. One school had khaki pants, with white, red or navy shirt.

27. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Nov 17, 2007

somebody's mother will call and complain. her precious dumpling has green smileys on her forehead, and she can't be seen in public like that! sigh...:huh:

maybe send out a letter informing those parents ahead of time, so they don't start accusing other students of mutilating their offspring!

28. slickchik

slickchik Rookie

Nov 17, 2007

I never pick up a child that is tantruming or doing something inappropriate. That just reinforces the behavior! I help them walk to wherever they need to be by putting one arm around their chest and another arm up under their butt. This is the closest you can get to making them walk, and they usually just start walking on their own because its uncomfortable.

29. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Nov 17, 2007

In a mad moment, I used a stamp for doing a good job. I stamped quite a few hands (one smiley stamp) and it was amazing to see how many children did not wash their hands and came to school with the stamp still vibrant. The next time when they were good and asked for a stamp I said 'No, I don't think the mums will like it".

I did start the school year (January in Australia) giving out stickers but have weaned the children off them now that I have the expected behaviour from them.

My tutor at Uni was a practising teacher who taught in an all boys school. She said she had never given rewards (no stickers, no stamps, no treasure chest), why should she reward behaviour they should be performing anyway? I think it's very logical as I've found the bigger the reward (with my own children) they develop a "what's in it for me attitude?". I stopped rewarding my children and if they wanted something they could have it BUT have you ......... It then becomes their choice as to whether they get or go something/somewhere.

30. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Nov 17, 2007

good one sc!!

looks better than me attempting to grab them and dragging them down the hall too! sure all the parents think I am worse teacher in the building...cause they don't know what he is up to!

arm around chest, and one under butt...ok...kinda scooting them along, right? But never picking them up!!

31. slickchik

slickchik Rookie

Nov 17, 2007

Right...it is much like scooting them along. In cases when the child is flailing about you can move your arm up under the crotch to pick them up more, and prevent them from falling on the ground and hurting themselves.

My class has a 2-way mirror so parents and clinicians, etc can watch (its a lab school for autism)....I know it can be nerve racking when dealing with a tantruming kid and trying not to look like you are hurting them, etc.

32. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Nov 17, 2007

I've got twin girls and have had tantrums in stereo in public places. I dealt with them quietly, using self-talk "Rise above it, don't lose it, rise above it, keep calm".

At school I have had to use a 'loose handcuff', this is where you hold the child's wrist loosely so they cannot get free and have to follow you wherever you go (they have never resisted and flopped on me). I had to show it to my aide and others as they would grip tightly. Safely restraining a child is something we were never shown how to do at uni.

33. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Nov 18, 2007

since he has cerebal palsy, I was considering putting him in a scooter and pushing/pulling him down the hall! not only does he fall out when it time to come to class, and time to leave...he refuses to go to therapy. the therapist just leaves him! shouldn't she try to be more assertive/agressive?! I mean don't they have to show a certain number of visits, and doesn't this mess up his IEP when he refuses to go???

it's just like at the nursing home. my dad refuses to shower. the nurses and CNAs just ask him if he wants one, and he says no! it makes no sense to me! they say they can't force him! ok, don't force him, don't hurt him, but at least try to gently pursuade, or trick him in to going there...like my family ends up doing half the time!

34. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 18, 2007

In December all of the staff at our school will be going through NCI training. I'm not sure what that stands for but since I've had the course as part of the dorm duties in the morning I know that it deals with nonviolent ways to restrain a child or to get out of violent situations.

35. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Nov 18, 2007

It stands for Nonviolent Conflict Intervention.

:)