I need help 5th grade/gifted and talented teachers!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Kinder+, May 29, 2006.

1. Kinder+

Kinder+ New Member

May 29, 2006

Hello all,

I am new to the site but am excited to get some help!! I teach Kindergarten and I am applying for a summer job in another state working with 4th and 5th grade scholars. I have a phone interview and at the end of the interview they are asking me to "teach" a 5 min lesson on anything I want geared toward 4th and 5th scholars and the people interviewing me will role play the students. Does anyone have any ideas for a ice breaker which I could do over the phone with the interviewers which work in your 5th grade classroom? I would like something that helps them get to know one another or lets them get to know something special about one another. Leadership and team buidling activites would be great too. I am looking for an idea which involves some higher level thinking skills. I have some ideas but would love some feedback to make sure what I am thinking is not lower elem geared.

Thank you so much in advance!!!
    :love: :thanks:
    Kinder+

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 29, 2006

See if you can find Cathy Newton's Risk It!: Empowering Young People to Become Positive Risk Takers in the Classroom and in Life, ISBN 0865303460. Gifted kids learn really early on that their job in education is to be right; they need to learn that it's okay not to have the answer and it's okay to struggle and take risks with learning, and this book can help. It certainly does have team-building exercises and also makes suggestions for exercises at home.

4. audrey1722

audrey1722 Rookie

Jun 6, 2006

I am not a gifted and talented teacher, but I was trying to think back to my gifted and talented class when I was in 4th and 5th grade. I can not think of anything that could be easily done over the phone, and especially not in 5 min; however, if you get the job and want some ideas for certain things in your classroom, post a thread and I will try to help you out.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 6, 2006

You could ask the student(s) to interview each other and then create a commercial about that person. Briefly instruct the elements of the interview process, types of questions, and what the goals of the commercial would be.