I NEED GYM IDEAS!

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by edukidds, Oct 12, 2006.

1. edukidds

edukidds Rookie

Oct 12, 2006

Hello, I am looking for some easy games to play and activities to do during gym, which I am responsible for teaching with another teacher and another class.

Keep in mind there are 2 teachers, 2 teacher aides, and 34 kids.

Any ideas or links to sites for movement activities/games would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to reading all of your great ideas!:D

3. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

4. miss_m

miss_m Rookie

Oct 12, 2006

ever play "soft" bowling with them? the kids love that! line up plastic pins in the correct formation. roll those big red bouncy balls to knock down the pins!!! i have like 10 sets set up at once and send 3 kids to each

5. Myname

Myname Comrade

Oct 12, 2006

another thing I have done is line the kids up against the back wall and call out 2 kids at time to run and grab a block from the bin in front of my feet and run the block back to the bin in front of the teacher who is standing their row. They love this. It also wears them out fast.

6. AngelEyes

AngelEyes Rookie

Oct 16, 2006

Here are a few of my favorites:

Fishy Fishy Under the Sea:Have all the kids but one stand against a wall. Have one child be the 'fishy' and stand in the center on a line. The children yell out, "Fishy, fishy, under the sea...fishy, fishy, you can't catch me!" Then all the children try and run past the fishy. The fishy can only move on the line. If he tags a child running past, that child must freeze where he is and he becomes 'seaweed.' Seaweed can only move its arms...not its legs, but it can also tag people who then also become seaweed. Continue until one or two people remain untagged.

Four Corners:
    Label each of the corners in the room using tape and a paper sign or a "Hello My Name Is" sticker. I like to have the kids offer suggestions for names, like their favorite tv shows or characters. Then, I write down the names from the corners several times, in no particular order. For example, if the names are Raven, Zach, Cody, and Lizzie McGuire, my list might look like this:

Cody, Lizzie, Raven, Zach, Zach, Raven, Lizzie, Cody, Cody, Zach, Lizzie, Lizzie, Raven, Cody, Zach, Raven

Don't show the kids your list! Explain that they are going to move around the room freely until you yell "CHOOSE!" At that point they are to choose a corner to stand in. Once everyone is in a corner (I usually count to ten and anyone not in a corner is out) yell out the next name on your list. Everyone standing in that corner is out. Then play again and again until only one person remains. Make sure the kids know what to do when they're out...

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 16, 2006

Ice Cream shop (or, "octopus tag")

Similar to the fish game above... kids get one of 3 flavors of ice cream. "it" calls out one flavor, those kids run to the other side of the room. If you get tagged, you become a "scooper" and hae to sit down criss-cross-applesauce exactly where you got tagged. Scoopers can tag with their arms but not stand up/kneel. "It" can also call multiple flavors at the same time, or call "Ice cream shop" for everybody to run. Keep calling until only 1-2 kids left. I usually let my "winner" be "it" the next time and choose the 3 flavors of ice cream we'd play with.

8. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Oct 22, 2006

We play musical hoops. This is played like musical chairs. We place the hoops in a big circle. I have also seen it played using carpet squares.